Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake lights not illuminating during regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you know that when the car goes into regen braking that the brake lights come on? Makes sense, but I never noticed it until I had had the car for awhile.

on the panel/screen in front of the steering wheel, the brake lights light up on the driving car when i apply the brakes. i was driving fast in ludicrous mode on the highway and let go of the accelerator, so regen 'braked' pretty hard and i didn't notice the brake lights from the inside. i sincerely hope the brake lights are in fact working, but i haven't been able to have someone else check it for me. its a serious safety issue if not, the regen can slow the vehicle very fast. i can easily see being rear-ended.

i sincerely hope the brake lights are in fact working, but i haven't been able to have someone else check it for me. its a serious safety issue if not, the regen can slow the vehicle very fast. i can easily see being rear-ended.
They are working. Model S has been doing this for years. If you see it on the IC, it's happening on the back of the car. No worries, keep driving.. safely.

Reactions: AnOutsider
Sorry, I missed that. I thought you said you were. Hmm. Could be an accelerometer issue.. perhaps? Do you see the brake lights come up other times you're using regen? Mine come on even slowing from 30 mph on local roads.

its never lit up using regen. i've only had it since saturday, i havent been able to drive it at night yet and use rear camera

Maybe it's tied to how aggressive the regeneration is just like the brake lights don't light up when you let go of the gas pedal on an ICE car. In other words deceleration threshold based.

i was driving fast in ludicrous mode on the highway and let go of the accelerator, so regen 'braked' pretty hard and i didn't notice the brake lights from the inside.

i was talking about the tail lights in the image, and noted i hadn't had the chance yet to have someone else look at the actual taillights, or drive at night and use the rear camera to see myself. i was driving faster than 85 in ludicrous, and i slowed down using full regen to about 35mph - no brakes. i didn't time it, but if you've done that, you know it decelerates very quickly. since then, Tesla instructed me to do a 'soft reboot' and now i can see the tail lights go on when i am regen-braking. thanks for your responses.

i was talking about the tail lights in the image, and noted i hadn't had the chance yet to have someone else look at the actual taillights, or drive at night and use the rear camera to see myself. i was driving faster than 85 in ludicrous, and i slowed down using full regen to about 35mph - no brakes. i didn't time it, but if you've done that, you know it decelerates very quickly. since then, Tesla instructed me to do a 'soft reboot' and now i can see the tail lights go on when i am regen-braking. thanks for your responses.

I first read 'brake lights not Illuminati during regen' and that worked as clickbait to me o_O, and now a 'soft reboot' to fix things, sounds illuminati enough for me! Help!

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
I wish the regen brake won't trigger the brake light when passing by a police speed trap. :confused:

It is like a reflex to let go on the accelerator when I spot a hidden police car even though I was not speeding. Now, I have to remind myself to keep it lightly tapped to not turn on the brake light ...