TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Brake lights not illuminating during regen?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by skarletknite, Jun 7, 2016.

1. skarletknite

skarletknite Member

on the panel/screen in front of the steering wheel, the brake lights light up on the driving car when i apply the brakes. i was driving fast in ludicrous mode on the highway and let go of the accelerator, so regen 'braked' pretty hard and i didn't notice the brake lights from the inside. i sincerely hope the brake lights are in fact working, but i haven't been able to have someone else check it for me. its a serious safety issue if not, the regen can slow the vehicle very fast. i can easily see being rear-ended.

2. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

They are working. Model S has been doing this for years. If you see it on the IC, it's happening on the back of the car. No worries, keep driving.. safely.

• Like x 1
  3. skarletknite

skarletknite Member

i'm not seeing it on the IC

4. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Sorry, I missed that. I thought you said you were. Hmm. Could be an accelerometer issue.. perhaps? Do you see the brake lights come up other times you're using regen? Mine come on even slowing from 30 mph on local roads.

5. skarletknite

skarletknite Member

its never lit up using regen. i've only had it since saturday, i havent been able to drive it at night yet and use rear camera

6. ssq

ssq Member

Maybe it's tied to how aggressive the regeneration is just like the brake lights don't light up when you let go of the gas pedal on an ICE car. In other words deceleration threshold based.

7. skarletknite

skarletknite Member

i was driving fast in ludicrous mode on the highway and let go of the accelerator, so regen 'braked' pretty hard and i didn't notice the brake lights from the inside.

8. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

9. Coolcarx

Coolcarx Member

Mine come on during regen

10. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

The point in the video, is that the brake lights only comes on after you decelerate to 136km/h (85mi/h). If you're doing 100mi/h and lift off the accelerator, the brake lights won't come on until you slow down to 85 mi/h.

11. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

@skarletknite - "driving very fast" and "regen pretty hard" are relative terms. If you were driving faster than 85mi/Hr in ludicrous mode, then as @vandacca pointed out the lights won't come on till you slow down to 85.
    Also, are you talking about the actual tail lights or just the image on the dash or both?

12. skarletknite

skarletknite Member

i was talking about the tail lights in the image, and noted i hadn't had the chance yet to have someone else look at the actual taillights, or drive at night and use the rear camera to see myself. i was driving faster than 85 in ludicrous, and i slowed down using full regen to about 35mph - no brakes. i didn't time it, but if you've done that, you know it decelerates very quickly. since then, Tesla instructed me to do a 'soft reboot' and now i can see the tail lights go on when i am regen-braking. thanks for your responses.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

14. GVTesla

GVTesla Member

I first read 'brake lights not Illuminati during regen' and that worked as clickbait to me o_O, and now a 'soft reboot' to fix things, sounds illuminati enough for me! Help!

• Funny x 1
  15. skarletknite

skarletknite Member

thank you.

16. pchan

pchan Member

I wish the regen brake won't trigger the brake light when passing by a police speed trap. :confused:

It is like a reflex to let go on the accelerator when I spot a hidden police car even though I was not speeding. Now, I have to remind myself to keep it lightly tapped to not turn on the brake light ...

17. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

It actually doesn't matter if your brake lights come on when a cop is watching. They use Ladar nowadays. So if your speed was within the limit, brakes or no brakes doesn't matter and if you are speeding, brakes or no brakes you will get a ticket.