Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

brake pads lasted 270k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
After driving 273 k miles I finally had to replace my brake pad. Only the front, though. The back ones are still OK.

I'm driving more on the conservative side and I like to use regen as much as possible. That probably helped getting the brakes to last that long. The same pads are used in different cars so they were easy to get at a common auto parts store. I payed $30 for them and replaced both sides myself in less than one hour total. Very simple. The pistons in the calipers all still moved freely and I could actually push them back just by hand to fit the new ones in. So that's a sign of them being in great shape.

I also had to replace the sway bar links for the second time now. They would last much much longer if it wasn't for the boot (the rummer sealing them) didn't break and letting dirt in. It's kind of a poor design. Even in normal position, the boot is bent a lot pinching it. A replacement from Tesla is only $50 so not a big deal.

Nothing too exciting, just thought I share :)

Mine had half left at 156k, but rotors were gone. I drive like a maniac, I was happy. I replace with drilled, slotted rotors and ceramic pads. Wow, what an improvement.

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_160731479.jpg
    IMG_20200215_160731479.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: David99
Mine had half left at 156k, but rotors were gone. I drive like a maniac, I was happy. I replace with drilled, slotted rotors and ceramic pads. Wow, what an improvement.

What is the difference with rotors/pads you have now? I'm just trying to understand. My brakes can easily trigger the ABS to kick in without too much push on the pedal. So there isn't a lack of braking power. Keep in mind I'm not a fast driver. Never owned a performance car.

First, if your braking kicks in ABS, u have a problem. I've had Corvette, BMW,Mercedes, ABS has never cut on in my Tesla. That is just weird. I've never heard of that. I'm still puzzled.
The drilled/slotted don't heat up if you are in stop and go traffic. I mean having to brake, not Regen .
Ceramic pads dont get hot either in aggressive driving and interact better with rotors. I also now have more pedal. No black brake dust.
I drove a new Tesla, I hated the brakes. Ours are vacuum, new ones are electric. I threw my dog on the floor everytime I touched the brakes. SC guy said "new brakes are like that, electric""

• Informative
After driving 273 k miles I finally had to replace my brake pad. Only the front, though. The back ones are still OK.

I'm driving more on the conservative side and I like to use regen as much as possible. That probably helped getting the brakes to last that long. The same pads are used in different cars so they were easy to get at a common auto parts store. I payed $30 for them and replaced both sides myself in less than one hour total. Very simple. The pistons in the calipers all still moved freely and I could actually push them back just by hand to fit the new ones in. So that's a sign of them being in great shape.

I also had to replace the sway bar links for the second time now. They would last much much longer if it wasn't for the boot (the rummer sealing them) didn't break and letting dirt in. It's kind of a poor design. Even in normal position, the boot is bent a lot pinching it. A replacement from Tesla is only $50 so not a big deal.

Nothing too exciting, just thought I share :)
Have you ever changed the brake fluid in your vehicle? Tesla suggests flushing and filling in their manuals. Just interested.

Have you ever changed the brake fluid in your vehicle? Tesla suggests flushing and filling in their manuals. Just interested.

Do it when it's needed. Moisture >= 2% or copper > 200 ppm. Usually they go hand in hand as the moisture causes the copper corrosion.

2009 Prius with 320K miles still on original fluid with less than 1% moisture and 0 ppm copper. Old lexus sold with 333K miles needed 4 brake flushes in the same mileage as the prius.

• Helpful
No, never changed brake fluid on any new car in 50 yrs. On my SUV , its 20 yrs old, just fine. I do need to change gearbox oil, its new and yr old now.
I found out about the need to flush the lines and replace brake fluid when my 1990 Mitsu Eclipse GSX, with around 200,000 miles on it, had a problem one day at freeway speed. The brakes locked up. Fortunately, there was nobody close behind. When it got back to the shop, the mechanic inspected it and chewed me out for ignoring that service detail.