Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes gone after 23k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got told by my Tesla repair center that I owe $1100 because the front brakes on my 3 year old model X (only 23k miles) are falling apart. Evidently they got rusted and the brake pads came apart and so it needs new rotors and pads.

The repair tech said the brakes are supposed to get cleaned(?) every year to avoid rusting out due to salt from the roads (I'm in Massachusetts). But of course nobody ever mentioned that to me, and it's not something I've ever heard of. My friend in town with a Model 3 a year older than my car never heard of it either and his brakes are fine.

Anyone have experience with this? A $1100 brake job on a car with 23k miles that was advertised as never needing new brakes is really upsetting. I feel like this must be a build/design flaw, and not something I should have to pay for while my car is under warranty. It's not like the rotors or pads were out from overuse.

Winter Care
Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 12,500 mi for cars in cold weather regions.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I would ask to see them or get a second opinion personally. I’m in Mass and have done my own lube service (model 3) and in my case I had very little corrosion.

Best of luck.

Having cars for over 45 years in winter salt road conditions, this is something that has always been done on every car I have owned. When we install winter tires and when we reinstall the summers brakes are cleaned and calipers lubricated or they will seize up in a couple of years. I am surprised it is so bad as my brother lives in NH and the rust due to salt is rather minimal there compared to me in the Montreal Canada area where it is about as bad as it gets. Regardless, brake service is a must at least once a year, preferably right after winter is over.

I've lived in New England for 45 years. I have never done anything to my brakes for winter, and my brakes haven't ever had any problems. I have friends in town that have Teslas that are older than mine that also haven't ever done anything to their brakes, and theirs are fine.

I am confused. I live in PA (with decent amount of snow) for 20 yrs and in Wilmington DE for 23 yrs (yes, we got snow here, probably less than that of PA) and I NEVER have has that problem. My front pads/rotors of my 1996 MB E-320 were replaced 3 times and I JUST replaced the ORIGINAL rear pads/rotors . Something about the quality of MB parts? I don't know

Brakes on a Tesla don't get much use because of the great regen. As such, they tend to rust and degrade faster. Some people lower regen to use the brakes regularly, or at least do some harder braking sessions sometimes. Getting them cleaned and lubricated helps in their durability.
Thanks G. Good to know. When I test drove the MY I realized that I did not have to use brakes for local driving, Maybe I should back off one step when I get my car?

The funny thing about this is -- Tesla isn't transparent about these "Cold weather regions". I requested this service in the past. Once it was covered with my prior annual service. The second time it was refused - as they stated living in WA and driving in the passes/snow - was not considered a cold-weather region and not part of the package. So frustrating.

Winter Care
Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 12,500 mi for cars in cold weather regions.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I would ask to see them or get a second opinion personally. I’m in Mass and have done my own lube service (model 3) and in my case I had very little corrosion.

Best of luck.
Can you just get a local shop to do the brake service? Will it be cheaper than Tesla centre?

I’ve put a hundred thousand miles on my S with heavy winter driving in a region with salted roads and have had no issues in five years. Much of my braking is not under regen. Also I’m still on my first 12v battery. Some aspects of the cars may do better with more driving instead of less.