Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes Rubbing during Reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, on my first drive of the day each day when reversing out of the driveway the brakes appear to not fully "let go", while backing up they provide enough resistance that it won't even move without applying accelerator pedal (I'm on a slight incline and once switching to Reverse in our S it rolls backwards freely). Of course, once it starts moving after putting some power to the wheels it makes a loud brake rubbing noise, not unlike would be heard in an ICE vehicle when giving a little braking power and also revving engine to overcome the braking resistance.

Anyone else experience this? Easy fix besides Tesla Service? The first time I took to them they said they couldn't replicate it and decided it wasn't a big deal. It happens every day but only the first time I drive (so by time its with them, it doesn't happen).

I am also wondering if our efficiency is being effected by this or something; I drive really efficiently, in our S with 21" wheels I get 280Wh/mi but same style and course with the X and I am eating up 380Wh/mi (in vehicle instrumentation). My TeslaFi efficiency in the X is usually around 80%, while in S I do 100% or better. So, something feels extra inefficient about our X... It's on the stock 20" slipstreams.

So, on my first drive of the day each day when reversing out of the driveway the brakes appear to not fully "let go", while backing up they provide enough resistance that it won't even move without applying accelerator pedal (I'm on a slight incline and once switching to Reverse in our S it rolls backwards freely). Of course, once it starts moving after putting some power to the wheels it makes a loud brake rubbing noise, not unlike would be heard in an ICE vehicle when giving a little braking power and also revving engine to overcome the braking resistance.

Anyone else experience this? Easy fix besides Tesla Service? The first time I took to them they said they couldn't replicate it and decided it wasn't a big deal. It happens every day but only the first time I drive (so by time its with them, it doesn't happen).

I am also wondering if our efficiency is being effected by this or something; I drive really efficiently, in our S with 21" wheels I get 280Wh/mi but same style and course with the X and I am eating up 380Wh/mi (in vehicle instrumentation). My TeslaFi efficiency in the X is usually around 80%, while in S I do 100% or better. So, something feels extra inefficient about our X... It's on the stock 20" slipstreams.

I'd have service center do the normal brake service (which is mostly cleaning and lubing, not necessarily new pads or rotors). My guess is the calipers (parking brake) is sticking. Which EV's are more prone to, due to less usage. It could be a sticky piston too.

Sounds like the pads are sticking when the parking brake is released. This happens when the rotors are wet, but since it happens every time, it could also be the caliper slides need cleaned and greased.
If they were dragging during normal driving, then they should get warm. You could try going in a long section and then coast to a stop to check.
Other thing to try is, after you break them free, a long press on park to manually engage the parking brakes and then shift back to drive. May give them a better cycle.

Reactions: ElectricLove
I’m submitting the service ticket now. I don’t really notice the coasting being problematic since I have only driven the X for a few weeks now and drive less right now and comparing to our S I’m just not sure what “right” is supposed to feel like; it doesn’t roll as fast/long as the S but not dramatically different...

I notice something like this when I back out of my garage after washing my X or driving it in the rain. Goes away completely after driving a bit. Not an uncommon issue.
After washing or driving in the rain, when I first start to back out of the garage I feel and hear a loud “clunk” like something in the brakes is stuck and finally releases when I press down far enough on the accelerator. After that initial sensation, it seems to be fine.

Yeah, if it were just after wet I’d get it but this isn’t and this is every day, sometimes more than once a day and it doesn’t stop until I change to forward gear and drive forward a bit. Even compressing brake all the way and releasing doesn’t fix it.

Unfortunately when I had it with Service last they said they couldn’t replicate, I wasted my time showing them a video and playing the sound for them since they don’t really communicate internally and the tech and concierge/paperwork are totally separate nowadays. I have mobile service coming tomorrow and I’ll wear a mask and make sure they feel it for themselves so they can note it properly.

Thanks all!

Reactions: mswlogo
Mobile Tech looking at it now, the disc on rear drivers side is visibly worn in a narrow band the size of the parking brake caliper, also that parking brake caliper pad is worn down bare, while passenger side looks good. Car only has 21K miles on it, so clearly something is wrong there. He also said there was a recall on that part in the past but my car is not being flagged for it, sounds like maybe something in the system is inaccurate (unsurprisingly). I just hope it isn't actually rubbing while driving and just during backing up because we have to drive round-trip to St. Louis from Tempe this week (before anyone jumps down our throats, its essential, father-in-law not in good health and needs to come live with us for a bit).

I’ve not done that yet and they fixed it now so I’ll never know, haha.

They replaced the caliper, rotor and pad for the parking brake (smaller one). They did say it’s supposed to be a recall item but didn’t tell me if this was the replacement or original on the car. They mentioned a pin was crooked in the caliper so it was binding in reverse but would break free when going forwards.

Repaired and now on our way to St Louis!

Reactions: mongo and jboy210

They replaced the caliper, rotor and pad for the parking brake (smaller one). They did say it’s supposed to be a recall item but didn’t tell me if this was the replacement or original on the car. They mentioned a pin was crooked in the caliper so it was binding in reverse but would break free when going forwards.

FWIW The recall (that i know of) was due to a gear that could break and cause the parking brake to never release.
Safe travels!

Have a great trip!