Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes stuck after wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time I wash my model X or drive in the rain and park the car immediately after, the brakes get stuck.
This typically happens after leaving the car parked for a few hours. But the brakes are seriously stuck, where they release with a big clunk sound after applying enough throttle power.
Anybody else have the same issue and know what the fix can be?

Are you using something with iron remover on the wheels? I do and I take my X for a ride around the block to make sure I don't get a stuck pad/rotor issue.

No, I am not using anything on the wheels. And it even does it, if I drive under the rain anyway.
So calling the mobile service huh? Well never thought of that. I don't even know how to do it or if it's warranted for such a small issue?
Do I run the risk of damaging my rotors in the long run?

My 911's (manual transmissions) did it all the time.
My X acts just like the 911's, I'm sure it's because the Tesla automatically engages the parking brake when you put it in park. With automatic cars, most people just put the car in Park and don't put on the E brake and thus the brake isn't engaged against the rotor. If you want to prevent it, just drive around the block to dry off the rotors. It's completely normal.
There is no way I would spray any "lubricant" on the brakes to help them release. That's crazy.

Last edited:
yes, I drive around the block and brake in neutral a few times to dry the brakes usually. When I remember to do it, that is!
I guess that's the best way to deal with it.
I am just surprised at the responses of people that said it's not normal, and I should take it to service?!

Reactions: ABC2D
I usually only drive my MX on the weekends and always wash it before I put it away in the garage for the work week. It took me awhile to realize what that horrible noise was when backing out of the garage the following weekend, but eventually figured it was the pads rusting to the rotors. Since they had 5-6 days to sit there it took considerable force to break them loose which just sounds and feels unbelievably awful. Once I figured it out, if it wasn’t raining I would do the drive around the block and ride the brakes just slightly to heat them up and that would usually work. However here in Florida we get these afternoon thunderstorms almost daily so I would often wash her in the rain and dry off in the garage but that didn’t allow for the ride around the block and it only takes a few hours for them to lock up pretty good. I now have someone help me by putting a 2x4 behind the rear drivers side tire and I put the car in tow mode. The next morning I can usually just rock the car a little by hand and there is sometimes a slight friction stick but overwhelmingly this has solved the problem. I’m assuming this is normal for these cars and maybe geography is playing a role in who has the issues and who doesn’t. If this is not normal and someone has proof I would certainly like to hear that since I am still under warranty.

If it is just the deal with these high-performance braking systems, then hopefully my tips above will help others with this issue.

I've had several different vehicles do this. Other than being annoying in some the brakes would grab really hard until the rust haze got wiped off the discs. One had to be really careful when applying the brakes at first. I haven't notices this with the Tesla but then I seldom use the brakes.

This is perfectly normal. Whoever said you need to take in for service has never washed their car and parked overnight or pulled in from a heavy rain.

You have no transmission lock like on an ICE car so when you go into park you're actually applying a parking brake. If everything is wet when you do this it sticks.

I am not saying I like it but it is perfectly normal.

Reactions: Genie and ABC2D
My X acts just like the 911's, I'm sure it's because the Tesla automatically engages the parking brake when you put it in park. With automatic cars, most people just put the car in Park and don't put on the E brake and thus the brake isn't engaged against the rotor. If you want to prevent it, just drive around the block to dry off the rotors. It's completely normal.
There is no way I would spray any "lubricant" on the brakes to help them release. That's crazy.
Renewing old thread....Thumbs up, for best solution!

Tesla doesn’t automatically engage parking brake when out in park. You have to hold park button and parking brake will engage. That noise is just the car shifting into park.

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D and mxnym