Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Branch cracked my windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so dumb question but this is my first car and the smallest branch I guess hit the windshield wipers at the perfect angle and created a pretty big crack on my windshield. My car had a tinted windshield which makes this an even bigger loss

Who do I call in this situation? Should I contact tesla or my insurance first?

Thanks

Yup theres some strong winds here in NY currently. It's looking like a replacement. Whats the general consensus on getting the replacement? I've read somewhere on the forum that safelite isn't a good place to go and that Tesla will actually need to recalibrate the cameras.

Yup theres some strong winds here in NY currently. It's looking like a replacement. Whats the general consensus on getting the replacement? I've read somewhere on the forum that safelite isn't a good place to go and that Tesla will actually need to recalibrate the cameras.

Your insurance should cover it less any deductible unless your policy excludes glass. Personally I would start with a Tesla service center. They will at least inform you of the process and need to recalibrate if necessary. If they don’t do the actual replacement there they will probably have a shop they refer customers to. If so that shop will have experience with Tesla’s.

Tesla in my area doesn't do the window replacements (use to I understand) and you'll end up using a glass shop but I'd call Tesla and see if they will give you the names of a few places to call that they've worked with. Most of these glass guys will come out to wherever you need them; and due to the cameras most new cars will have in their windshield area, yes, calibration will need to be done afterwards. If your service center where the calibration would be done has a large enough parking lot (or maybe there's a convenient parking lot close to the SC), you might consider meeting the glass guys there and then just a quick drive to the SC for the calibration (inquire about appointment time). Depending on how bad the crack is, you may not have a choice in whether the car can be driven. Be careful in this weather blasting hot air on the windshield as the temp difference could cause the crack to lengthen.

The windshield will come from Tesla to the glass shop, and so if they don't stock them it might be a wait. I'd call Tesla first, get the name of local shops, talk to them about timing and then see how your insurance company handles it--reimbursement or direct bill to them.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
so dumb question but this is my first car and the smallest branch I guess hit the windshield wipers at the perfect angle and created a pretty big crack on my windshield. My car had a tinted windshield which makes this an even bigger loss

Who do I call in this situation? Should I contact tesla or my insurance first?

Thanks

I would love to see a picture of the damage.
If it is me, I would try Tesla, if your windshield happens to crack from the inside, they might fix it. But if the crack started on the outside, then they will most likely claimed it was by an "outside influence" and will refused to accept it (which happened in my cracked glass-top). You got nothing to loose!

Reactions: Dan_A