Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cat cracked my windshield and roof glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • That cat couldn't have weighed more than 6 kilos. I've got a couple of 12 pounders myself and although they are indoors-only, I don't think that they could damage automotive glass
  • I've had some neighborhood outdoor cats jump up on my car but the only evidence is their sometime muddy paw prints up the hood and over the windscreen. Have never had any glass damage; paint maybe but I'm not anal enough to fret over every single scratch my car gets.
  • Photo you provided of the windscreen showing the damage is horizontal. The cat's movements were vertical. Furthermore, the photo appears to show the right A-pillar, the passenger side of a RHD vehicle, with a chip or dent at the very edge of the glass. The cat in the video did not approach the edge on that side.
  • If you are asserting that the damage on the edge propagated a crack horizontally, then I'd say that it's more likely that something hit there and skidded or was dragged across the glass.
From the photo, the glass seems to be scuffed rather than cracked. At least that's my impression. Having had a couple of windscreens replaced on my vehicles over the years, all of the damage have been very sharp, thin lines. Or a divot when a rock hit it. I don't have any experience with the multi-layered glass that's now used with these new vehicles. Have you had the glass inspected by a repair company?
The photo is the windscreen incident (most recent. The video is of the previous incident of the cat breaking the roof glass.

yeah, I saw the video and there is no way the cat doing what it did in those videos, cracked your glass. Even if it's wolverine and this cat had it's nails replaced with Adamantium. If the glass could crack from nails of a cat weighing ~10lbs, we'd be replacing our windshields every few weeks.

Reactions: Adam3
yeah, I saw the video and there is no way the cat doing what it did in those videos, cracked your glass. Even if it's wolverine and this cat had it's nails replaced with Adamantium. If the glass could crack from nails of a cat weighing ~10lbs, we'd be replacing our windshields every few weeks.
It’s a design flaw in the car IMO. Glass is extremely strong but weak if you attack it directly from the side. A seal is needed to protect it.

• Funny
Reactions: derekmw
We have two cats. The female is small. About 8.5 lbs. However, I have a bookcase that is 6'6'' tall. I've seen her jump from the floor to the top of it. There must be a very momentary high-pressure kick to do that. With sharp claws concentrating the force.

However, I'm a little skeptical of the OPs story but I'm not totally dismissing it either. How about reversing my example? Drop an 8.5 lb. weight with two sharp points onto the glass from 6.5 feet? Whaddya think? Who wants to try this experiment?