Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 hrs to replace a windshield? Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 2022 Y windshield was hit by a rock and cracked. A windshield claim should be an easy quick process according to my insurance broker. Not so in the case of Tesla.

1. Speedy Auto Glass and others I called can not get the Tesla part or any after market windshield
2. Tesla does not deal with the insurance company so you have to pay up front and submit the bill
3. There was a 2 week wait for Tesla to get the windshield in stock.
4. Tesla needs you to drop off the car and have indicated it will take at least 24 hrs maybe more.

I like my car but this certainly will make me think twice about what car I buy next. I'm in the GTA and dealing with the North York service centre, through the App of course.

Cheers

Thanks for that. I'm actually dealing with the Railside Service Centre. They do have the windshield in stock now and I have an appointment booked for but now I need to get approval from my Insurance for a rental car. I'm just not sure why it takes at least 24 hrs to do a windshield and when I asked that question to the service advisors through the app it was ignored. Anyway it's getting fixed and as we all know Tesla works in mysterious ways, it's just frustrating dealing with the hassles of what should have been simple.

Cheers

Mine was changed at a Tesla service center in 2 hours. They did say allow up to 4 hours because it takes a few people with experience and getting them lined up at the same time could take time.

Insurance sent me a check in a few days.

Update. I dropped my car off at the Railside service centre at 3pm on Thursday and the car was ready at 7am Friday. I asked the service advisor why it took so long to replace a windshield and she told me they install the windshield and then apply weights overnight to ensure a good seal. Overall not a bad experience however you are totally on your own once the car is dropped off, no shuttle so I just walked the km to the car rental location. They would picked me up but the exercise doesn't hurt. Insurance rented me a Cadillac XTC ,a nice vehicle, but it really seemed antiquated vs the Model Y. Its 4 cylinder turbo charged engine was constantly shifting and acceleration seemed pretty lack lustre in comparison. A nice ride in town though.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I'm pretty sure 24 hours is the recommended time for regular urethane to fully cure. Can you drive away in a couple of hours and be OK? Sure. Could you cause issues by slamming doors, going through a car wash or pushing on the glass? Yes, without a doubt. So safest bet, given some people aren't too smart, is for them to keep the car and be as certain as possible of a good seal in line with urethane manufacturer specs.

Found this 3M info which is useful. Note that temperature and humidity are factors too. Better safe than sorry.

1692035064085.png

Love Railside.
Update. I dropped my car off at the Railside service centre at 3pm on Thursday and the car was ready at 7am Friday. I asked the service advisor why it took so long to replace a windshield and she told me they install the windshield and then apply weights overnight to ensure a good seal. Overall not a bad experience however you are totally on your own once the car is dropped off, no shuttle so I just walked the km to the car rental location. They would picked me up but the exercise doesn't hurt. Insurance rented me a Cadillac XTC ,a nice vehicle, but it really seemed antiquated vs the Model Y. Its 4 cylinder turbo charged engine was constantly shifting and acceleration seemed pretty lack lustre in comparison. A nice ride in town though.
Love Railside. Literally around the corner from my place. Great people.

Reactions: gbertsch
My wife has a 8+ inch crack in her windshield (2021 Model 3) and we booked an appointment with Tesla Kitchener yesterday.
1693241965491.png

They messaged back (via app) stating that:
1693241767110.png

I messaged them back asking if these shops (CSN) knows how to re-align the camera, etc. or not since I had read that this sort of thing (windshield replacement requires camera recalibration/config, etc.) would need Tesla service tech.

Does anyone know of CSN shops (or any windshield place around Kitchener/Cambridge/Waterloo) know how to recalibrate the camera or only Tesla service can do that?

Thanks.

Last edited: