Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new 2021 model 3 or 2017 Tesla Model S 75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...September 2017 S model 75D with 19,000 miles on the clock. However, the dealer I’m buying from knows nothing about Tesla’s...

Based on information gathered while preparing this (Tesla Ports & Plugs of the World), here are some comments:
  • I get nervous when I hear "dealer...knows nothing." First, I assume the car originated in Europe, so it has a standard Type 2 ("Mennekes") charging port? (More than likely, but you don't want to be stuck with a car imported from Canada or somewhere that has different charging needs. If it does, you can ship it to me here in the 'States. :)) Seriously, just to be safe determine the country of origin (via the seller) and/or compare the charging port with the photos to make sure.
  • If it is European, it is an "older" Model S (prior to 2019) within the context of charging. So Second, as an older car it is naturally going to have less range than a brand new 2021, of course.
  • Therefore, to have access to the most charging opportunities you'll want to be able to charge at:
    • homes and businesses.
    • all Tesla Superchargers,
    • third-party CCS2 charging stations, and
    • third-party CHAdeMO stations. (You might check online maps beforehand to see where SC, CCS2, and CHAdeMO stations are located in relation to you planned trips.)
  • To use all Superchargers, you'll probably need (a) a CCS Combo 2 adapter and as Krash mentioned (b) a CCS hardware upgrade (unless it's already been performed before--let's assume not). Check out this video (CCS2 Upgrade Video) showing the work done using the Tesla mobile tech service.
    • The upgrade for a Model X now costs only £199 (used to be more) on the Tesla United Kingdom website. This includes the labor and the Tesla CCS2 adapter. I assume it's similar for Model S? Check with Tesla Service. (CCS2 Upgrade)

*** By the way, I don't know how used car Tesla sales work in Britain. At some point, as a new (used) Tesla owner, you need to get your car ownership validated by Tesla so you can get the Tesla App on your smartphone. If it is like the USA, you definitely NEED the App. I don't mean to sound paranoid, but BE SURE you can transfer full ownership with all the Tesla rights and privileges, correct? ***

Just thought of this: Does it come with free, transferable Supercharging?

(Perhaps others can comment on buying a used car there from a non-Tesla source?)

• With this done (and if "Superchaging-enabled;" see below) you can use all (older) V2 and (newer) V3 Superchargers.
    • And you can use third-party CCS2 stations.
  • To use CHAdeMO stations you'll need a separate Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (£149). (Tesla CHAdeMO Adapter) (Maybe find used adapters? Try Craigslist or whatever.)
    • And an older car has to be "Supercharger-enabled" to use the CHAdeMO adapter (and, well..., Superchargers too, I assume, based on the expression). Check with Tesla Service, also, to find out how to check this and to schedule an appointment if it is needed. (I assume this "Supercharger-enabling" can be performed at the same time as the CCS2 hardware upgrade? Hopefully by a Tesla mobile Tech person.)
  • Try to determine ahead of time whether you'll need to do any AC charging (in a house, hotel, or campground).
    • If so check the Tesla websites (Spain, UK, etc.) to see if you'll need any adapters or (blue) cable extensions for the Gen 2 Universal Mobile Connector (that should come with the car and will allow you to charge overnight from wall outlets).
All this sounds like a lot, and it is, but once done you can forget about it, and it is stuff you would want to do anyway to increase the value and utility of a really cool electric vehicle able to travel virtually anywhere, cleanly, in style and convenience, on drive-able highways throughout the Continent.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Krash
Many thanks for the very informative reply - things are starting to look clearer. It is a one owner European vehicle so no probs there. Hopefully, as you say, once I have become accustomed to all-electric driving it will be plain sailing from then on. As far as models go it’s the S that appeals most. Unfortunately I cannot afford a new one.