Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new 2023 M3 LR AWD, 175 mile road trip home; efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my 2023 LR AWD with 19" wheels today and drove 175 miles home. First trip ended up at 231 wh/mile. Is this typical? Rough napkin math is coming out to 338 miles range if the car has 78 kWh of usable battery. This is pretty close to the stated range for the car and was mixed driving with speeds up to the 65-68 mph range.

Reactions: Star K1tty
So, lemme get this straight... you have chosen to start a thread because your car is getting the rated mileage or even better?
Haha, is that the opposite of what normally happens?..... I guess maybe you're right; I haven't been around long but I do see many comments of people getting WAY less than rated range. Maybe it's just that there are LOTS of people getting rated range, but not saying anything.

Haha, is that the opposite of what normally happens?..... I guess maybe you're right; I haven't been around long but I do see many comments of people getting WAY less than rated range. Maybe it's just that there are LOTS of people getting rated range, but not saying anything.
There are several posts a week, perhaps even several a day about one or more of the following:

I'm not getting the range I expect. Is this normal?
I'm getting a few miles less than even the car tells me it has. This sucks!
My cars predicted range is going down as it gets older. Should I call Tesla?
Heat costs battery? This sucks!
I don't get the ~330 rated miles when I'm going 80 on the highway? This sucks!

Haha, nice. Well in that case, glad I could change the tone a bit :):). I was pretty pleased with the 231wh/mile efficiency given AWD i.e. not the RWD efficiency king, bigger wheels, and temps in the 40's. Heat on 68-70, heated seats going, etc. So no sacrifices made for range.I was impressed with Bjorn's 80 km/hour trip where he got 400 miles from an AWD.

Update. Nice warm day today for the 27 mile commute home. Temp was close to 60F. Cruise set to 63mph on the highway portion of the drive and got 211wh/mile, obviously my best yet in my short time of ownership. If I'm doing the math right, that's 4.74miles/kWh. If I have 78 usable, that's ~370 miles, or 333 using 90%. Not too shabby. Lifetime(a few hundred miles) is ~263. Thinking in 70+ weather I might be able to sneak under 200 during my slow <63mph commute.

Reactions: charlesoris
Update. Nice warm day today for the 27 mile commute home. Temp was close to 60F. Cruise set to 63mph on the highway portion of the drive and got 211wh/mile, obviously my best yet in my short time of ownership. If I'm doing the math right, that's 4.74miles/kWh. If I have 78 usable, that's ~370 miles, or 333 using 90%. Not too shabby. Lifetime(a few hundred miles) is ~263. Thinking in 70+ weather I might be able to sneak under 200 during my slow <63mph commute.

Now, you're just teasing everyone else. ;)

There ought to be an updated Irish blessing for EV owners, "May the road always be going down in elevation / May the wind always be at your back / May your watts per mile always be low..."

I'm pretty lucky with my current commute...5-6 miles in the city on both ends so low speed, and about 15 miles on a 55 mph highway in the middle. I set the cruise to 63 as I figured that even if I drive ~70, it literally only makes about 1 minute difference, which is essentially meaningless. But in our Kia Niro we've been driving up until now, that difference makes a *big* difference in efficiency.

Range/efficiency update. We had a 70 degree day yesterday. My drive home seems to be slightly downhill as efficiency is always higher driving home than driving to work...same exact route, same exact speeds.

Got my best ever efficiency of 189Wh/mile, or 5.3 mi/kWh on a ~25 mile commute. Wow! Round trip was around 225 including the colder morning commute. Cruise set at 63 on the highway portion.

Lifetime efficiency is at 256 since December, or 3.9m/kWh

This was a very mild winter, which I knew it would be as I put snow tires on our other car for the first time.

Range update. Lifetime efficiency since 12/2022 is 249 Wh/mile over 7,000 miles. I started tracking a new "trip" in May to see what warmer weather range will be.

I'm average 222 Wh/mile this month with ~600 miles driven. 4.5m/kWh. Works out to ~345 miles range, or a bit more than Tesla's EPA range estimate.

I'm pretty happy with my range vs Tesla's advertised range. Next winter, I'll probably get a set of their 18" aeros with winter tires. Figure the aero wheels will make up for any range loss of the winter tires.