Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New Trade In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like a bad idea. You’ll likely not recover the taxes you paid to register the car. And you run the risk of getting flagged by Tesla for flipping the car so quick.
It seems the quick sale ban is becoming more widespread with EVs. Ford has one a one year no sale or trade on the F-150 Lighting.

Well this is interesting… got a trade ”estimate” from Tesla of $66,400 to $73,400. If I could get $70k+ I might *seriously* consider that…

Wonder how much of a bait and switch this would be if I ordered a Performance and it was ready in 60 days…

Edit: Man, if I could get the high end, that would mean a Red/White Performance would cost me ~$860 after tax… new matrix headlights, bioweapon, heated steering wheel, possibly better build quality, faster…

Last edited:
Well this is interesting… got a trade ”estimate” from Tesla of $66,400 to $73,400. If I could get $70k+ I might *seriously* consider that…

Wonder how much of a bait and switch this would be if I ordered a Performance and it was ready in 60 days…
You could just wait for your plates and sell to CarMax.
I just sold them a Tacoma and they offered me the amount I paid for it, including taxes 2 years ago, 30,000 miles later.
Even if you were able to get $70k for your LR, is it worth spending $70k for a Performance?

You could just wait for your plates and sell to CarMax.
I just sold them a Tacoma and they offered me the amount I paid for it, including taxes 2 years ago, 30,000 miles later.
Even if you were able to get $70k for your LR, is it worth spending $70k for a Performance?
Yes, I’m happy with the Tesla and not looking to get rid of it, BUT, I have FSD purchased and now think there is much more value in the Performance than the software. Once Tesla come out with the monthly plans it just sent pains through me that I should have got the Performance instead and could have tested out FSD when I wanted or used it like two months out of the year for long road trips…

The trade in sites have been giving me horrible offers, I think $64k was the highest, which is the low end with Tesla (such a surprise for once!) AND you don’t get a sales tax advantage with that. If I basically could hand over my car to Tesla and get a new Performance with the upgrades and two more years warranty (compared to what I have left now) for $800 to maybe $2,000 out of pocket… yes please.

I already have a second set of Gemini wheels which would convert that Performance basically back to a Long Range for the winter months. I lose a smidge of ground clearance but would probably gain back 2 or 3% of range compared to the 21s.

Is the car worth $70k, no it’s not, the inflated Tesla prices are really sad to see, but if my current one inflated too… when then it’s an equal trade for me. Though it also makes me wonder what Rivian would offer (do they even accept trades?). Unfortunately their delivery dates are way too far out. Performance is estimated Aug-Oct (likely Oct since I’m in WA) which isn’t too bad and hopefully the market wouldn’t have changed *too* much by then.

The only thing that would really kill me would be the tint and PPF I spent on the car… that’s huge. But maybe I would try my hand at self PPF for a fraction of the cost down the road and honestly the tint isn’t too expensive.