Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bricked on Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wish I had better news to report, but had a pretty awful delivery of a new long range X today with my parents. This was their first Tesla, and they were super excited, and rented a car and drove 3 hours for delivery today. I took off from work early and met them to help out with their delivery experience.
The paperwork was signed, given keys to the car, did a check over and had a good orientation. We hit a small snag when the slacker radio didn’t activate, so they went away, said they activated it and asked us to check to see if it worked.
At that point, it all went south.
The two screens went black and the charge port went into the locked position where no charger could be inserted. It was suddenly bricked. Not able to do a soft or hard reset. The next 2 hours consisted of several technicians coming over, along with the delivery manager to see if they could figure out what happened. They were unable to connect to the car from their end. They checked the 12 V battery and checked for any loose connections around the car with no luck. Finally, they apologized and said there was a problem that would need repair.
My parents were pretty devastated. We were literally about to drive off the lot when this happened. The check for payment was returned and my parents said said they no longer wanted that particular vehicle. There are no more like what they want available right now to match with. Now they are deciding what to do next while Tesla works to see if they can help make up for the situation.
obviously, very disappointed.

That is a very sad situation. I would have been super excited for my parents as well. Please follow up with us to let us know how it all shakes out.

Thank you. I’ve never experienced anything like this on my model 3. So wild and unexpected for a brand new model X to brick right before you drive it off the lot.
The sales manager called us on the way home and discussed ordering them a long range plus. He said he would call them back but didn’t. Will see if we enter the Tesla circle of dead communication or not...

• Funny
Reactions: BulldogsRus
Sounds like a disappointing day.

Tesla are kinda like buying a computer. Some of them are dead, right out of the box. A single component can take down the entire computer.

Usually if the computer works right away it will continue to work correctly for a long time.

Hope your parents are well taken care of, and that Tesla can work hard to renew their original faith.

This is why every automobile made still is driven off the line, under it's own power. Last and final check to see that everything is operational as designes.

Sometimes something is shaken loose during the shipping and delivery process. They do what they can in final prep to keep things like this from happening...but once in a while...something goes wrong. Happens with every manufacturer.

Wish I had better news to report, but had a pretty awful delivery of a new long range X today with my parents. This was their first Tesla, and they were super excited, and rented a car and drove 3 hours for delivery today. I took off from work early and met them to help out with their delivery experience.
The paperwork was signed, given keys to the car, did a check over and had a good orientation. We hit a small snag when the slacker radio didn’t activate, so they went away, said they activated it and asked us to check to see if it worked.
At that point, it all went south.
The two screens went black and the charge port went into the locked position where no charger could be inserted. It was suddenly bricked. Not able to do a soft or hard reset. The next 2 hours consisted of several technicians coming over, along with the delivery manager to see if they could figure out what happened. They were unable to connect to the car from their end. They checked the 12 V battery and checked for any loose connections around the car with no luck. Finally, they apologized and said there was a problem that would need repair.
My parents were pretty devastated. We were literally about to drive off the lot when this happened. The check for payment was returned and my parents said said they no longer wanted that particular vehicle. There are no more like what they want available right now to match with. Now they are deciding what to do next while Tesla works to see if they can help make up for the situation.
obviously, very disappointed.
What's the VIN # ?

Reactions: MitchMitch
Bad luck AKA bad electronics. A duff component somewhere, what a shitty day for your folks :(. Hope it gets sorted out to their satisfaction.

Thanks mate. They’ve felt every range of emotions today. I felt like I needed to apologize to them, even though I don’t have anything to do with the problem, but as an owner and influencer for their 100k purchase, was an embarrassing spectacle.

Sounds like a disappointing day.

Tesla are kinda like buying a computer. Some of them are dead, right out of the box. A single component can take down the entire computer.

Usually if the computer works right away it will continue to work correctly for a long time.

Hope your parents are well taken care of, and that Tesla can work hard to renew their original faith.

This is why every automobile made still is driven off the line, under it's own power. Last and final check to see that everything is operational as designes.

Sometimes something is shaken loose during the shipping and delivery process. They do what they can in final prep to keep things like this from happening...but once in a while...something goes wrong. Happens with every manufacturer.

agreed, my dad just reminded me of the time I bought the very first iPhone back in like 2007. It wouldn’t connect to att servers and was bricked for 3 days before it was able to be used.
Hopefully Tesla will sort them out quickly with another vehicle and work to sweeten the deal a bit to make up for the massive inconvenience.

Wow. Never seen that before. Both screens are run by a single computer in modern cars, so maybe the MCU had a defect or a loose connector. I think the cellular radio hooks in to the car from the MCU as well, so if it stops running they won't see the car. Let us know what happens.

Wow. Never seen that before. Both screens are run by a single computer in modern cars, so maybe the MCU had a defect or a loose connector. I think the cellular radio hooks in to the car from the MCU as well, so if it stops running they won't see the car. Let us know what happens.

possibly? Interestingly, if you looked really closely, the center screen showed up very faintly, but was unresponsive to any touch. Sort of like what I saw once on a tv with a dead lcd backlight.
The technicians gave their best effort to figure it out, but were obviously limited when it wouldn’t even connect to their backdoor diagnostic system. Had to be pulled back to garage from the delivery parking spot.

before the brick:
657027A9-28D7-4463-ABD7-2447A567D4B1.jpeg