Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brief first impressions P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my P85D this morning in Scottsdale and wanted to address some of the concerns that have posted here:

Delivery experience:
In short: wonderful. Everyone at the service center was thoughtful, polite, and genuinely enthusiastic about the product and the company. I love seeing enthusiasm because it indicates the employees are treated well and believe in the product. One of the employees had even thought about personally driving to my home to drop off paperwork I needed to sign. The level of service was incredible. Also, the car was in perfect shape, and the presentation of the car was well thought out.

Noise:
I did not own a Tesla prior to today, but I did spend some time test driving S85s and P85s. This car is just as quiet as the other Teslas I have driven. In fact, there is not a squeak or rattle anywhere. Everything about this car indicates quality construction.

There is a slight amount of wind noise associated with the pano roof, but it is very small.

As far as the front motor, it is silent when cruising on the freeway even with the windows up, AC off, and no music playing. I tried very hard to hear it, but nothing was there. You can slightly hear it under mild acceleration, and the sound level increase with increased acceleration. It is actually a very pleasant sound and immediately reminded me of the sound of a turbine spinning up like on a jet airplane. Totally in keeping with the acceleration of this vehicle!

Range:
Obviously you want to push this car hard, and hole shots are unlike anything I have ever experienced. Hard to put into words, but I keep coming back to the sensation of a jet fighter accelerating, or even being catapulted off a carrier. Insane is the only way to describe it.

These takeoffs deplete the battery pretty quickly though. In about 80 miles of driving today I averaged about 350 Wh/mi driving conservatively (slow starts, staying at the speed limit) during about 15 miles of mixed highway and road driving with a fastest speed of 70 mph. Driving like i normally drive (fast off the line, 10-20 over the speed limit) it was closer to 440 Wh/mi. This car begs to be driven fast so be ready for decreased range.

Interior:
My car came with next gen seats throughout. The drivers seat is just as good if not better than the seat in my M6. Very comfortable, holds you firmly during cornering and acceleration. I ordered two days after the announcement, so hopefully everyone will be getting the next gen seats if they ordered in that time frame.

Fit and finish is great everywhere.

3G cellular data connection is disappointing. I knew this was the connection when I purchased the car, but I had forgotten how slow 3G connection really is. I don't understand why they don't switch to a 4G connection. I imagine most Tesla owners live in urban areas with 4G service, and if 4G is not available it can fall back to 3G. This really stands out compared to the quality of the rest of the car. Also, the web browser is slow even when connected to my WiFi. Definitely need to improve the experience in these two places.

Storage:
Frunk is about half the size of the non-D cars. Still lots of room and a great place to store things you don't access very often, such as a spare UMC and emergency equipment like fix-a-flat, jumper cables, etc.

The trunk area is huge, and then there is another area below the trunk and wells behind both rear wheels. Costco trips were painful in the M6 as I would often fill the trunk, back seat, AND front seat. Shouldn't be a problem any more!

I purchased the premium interior package and was worried it was over priced. I am not concerned any more because now I know it IS moderately overpriced, but despite that I am glad I purchased it. The yacht floor, additional lighting, and additional leather on the doors and dash really give the car a more refined look. I would order this again, but it should probably be closer to half the cost it is now.

I skipped the premium sound system. The upgraded sound system does sound better, but only marginally so. I plan on having aftermarket amps and speakers installed and $2500 will be better spent this way. I never listen to XM as I feel Spotify, Pandora, or Slacker are much better options. 80-90% of the time I listen to NPR (despite being very conservative politically it IS the best news station) and so I couldn't justify the added cost of the Tesla system.

Those are my initial thoughts. If I missed anything that holds an interest for you, I am happy to provide an answer.

For those who are still without their P85D, trust me it is worth the wait!

I picked up my P85D this morning in Scottsdale and wanted to address some of the concerns that have posted here:

Delivery experience:
In short: wonderful. Everyone at the service center was thoughtful, polite, and genuinely enthusiastic about the product and the company. I love seeing enthusiasm because it indicates the employees are treated well and believe in the product. One of the employees had even thought about personally driving to my home to drop off paperwork I needed to sign. The level of service was incredible. Also, the car was in perfect shape, and the presentation of the car was well thought out.

Noise:
I did not own a Tesla prior to today, but I did spend some time test driving S85s and P85s. This car is just as quiet as the other Teslas I have driven. In fact, there is not a squeak or rattle anywhere. Everything about this car indicates quality construction.

There is a slight amount of wind noise associated with the pano roof, but it is very small.

As far as the front motor, it is silent when cruising on the freeway even with the windows up, AC off, and no music playing. I tried very hard to hear it, but nothing was there. You can slightly hear it under mild acceleration, and the sound level increase with increased acceleration. It is actually a very pleasant sound and immediately reminded me of the sound of a turbine spinning up like on a jet airplane. Totally in keeping with the acceleration of this vehicle!

Range:
Obviously you want to push this car hard, and hole shots are unlike anything I have ever experienced. Hard to put into words, but I keep coming back to the sensation of a jet fighter accelerating, or even being catapulted off a carrier. Insane is the only way to describe it.

These takeoffs deplete the battery pretty quickly though. In about 80 miles of driving today I averaged about 350 Wh/mi driving conservatively (slow starts, staying at the speed limit) during about 15 miles of mixed highway and road driving with a fastest speed of 70 mph. Driving like i normally drive (fast off the line, 10-20 over the speed limit) it was closer to 440 Wh/mi. This car begs to be driven fast so be ready for decreased range.

Interior:
My car came with next gen seats throughout. The drivers seat is just as good if not better than the seat in my M6. Very comfortable, holds you firmly during cornering and acceleration. I ordered two days after the announcement, so hopefully everyone will be getting the next gen seats if they ordered in that time frame.

Fit and finish is great everywhere.

3G cellular data connection is disappointing. I knew this was the connection when I purchased the car, but I had forgotten how slow 3G connection really is. I don't understand why they don't switch to a 4G connection. I imagine most Tesla owners live in urban areas with 4G service, and if 4G is not available it can fall back to 3G. This really stands out compared to the quality of the rest of the car. Also, the web browser is slow even when connected to my WiFi. Definitely need to improve the experience in these two places.

Storage:
Frunk is about half the size of the non-D cars. Still lots of room and a great place to store things you don't access very often, such as a spare UMC and emergency equipment like fix-a-flat, jumper cables, etc.

The trunk area is huge, and then there is another area below the trunk and wells behind both rear wheels. Costco trips were painful in the M6 as I would often fill the trunk, back seat, AND front seat. Shouldn't be a problem any more!

I purchased the premium interior package and was worried it was over priced. I am not concerned any more because now I know it IS moderately overpriced, but despite that I am glad I purchased it. The yacht floor, additional lighting, and additional leather on the doors and dash really give the car a more refined look. I would order this again, but it should probably be closer to half the cost it is now.

I skipped the premium sound system. The upgraded sound system does sound better, but only marginally so. I plan on having aftermarket amps and speakers installed and $2500 will be better spent this way. I never listen to XM as I feel Spotify, Pandora, or Slacker are much better options. 80-90% of the time I listen to NPR (despite being very conservative politically it IS the best news station) and so I couldn't justify the added cost of the Tesla system.

Those are my initial thoughts. If I missed anything that holds an interest for you, I am happy to provide an answer.

For those who are still without their P85D, trust me it is worth the wait!
Thank you for the great review! I assume you got the black interior to receive next gen seats?