Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken rear brake pad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No pics, car is at body shop and they said they were backing the car and heard a clunk and the pad broke. 4,000 miles on the car. I don't even know what broke in half means. Clearly the steel backing plate shouldn't have broken, so perhaps the friction material separated from the backing plate?

I got sideswiped on the freeway. Front fender replaced and rear quarter panel repaired, mild cosmetic damage to front (buffed out) and rear wheel (the one with the broken pad). 4 wheel alignment checked out perfectly. The tires of the Tacoma rubbed against my front and rear wheel and front fender and rear quarter panel. Drove the car for 2 months after the accident with no issues before taking it to the body shop. I don't think backing up caused the damage either...but somehow the pad was broken and chose that time to fall out of place.

That makes sense. It probably was cracked from the initial impact. It might have been seized while sitting a the body shop and when they finally moved it a portion of it could have been stuck to the rotor, and then cracked from movement? I suppose you can upgrade your brake pads while you have the car in the shop, but if it is insurance repair, you'll have to go OEM.

Reactions: Magnets!
Ya, it does seem fishy. They said they're covering the expense. They're way overdue for completion and I've been on them. Wonder if it was something simple like breaking the wheel center cap and they didn't want to admit their screwup was causing further delay. Have never taken one of the caps off, but are they easy to break without using the provided tool? I'll ask to see the broken pad tomorrow.

wsAEg2CFRKy+frxYwDM7mw.jpg
Got the car back. Although they didn't have the broken pad still, I could see on the rotor and imprint where the pad somehow became bonded to the rotor. It took quite a bit of driving on low regen to wear that spot away. You can see it in the picture attached. Notice the dark spot in between one of the spokes and the silver finish of the rotor that you can see through the others. Still a mystery as to what caused this.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I think I had a similar issue with my front brake pad. It started screeching loudly around 3-4k miles when wet and stopping in reverse. I took it in and they "found brake pad element to be cracked". Both front pads were replaced under warranty.

Reactions: Magnets!
View attachment 431719 Got the car back. Although they didn't have the broken pad still, I could see on the rotor and imprint where the pad somehow became bonded to the rotor. I took quite a bit of driving on low regen to wear that spot away. You can see it in the picture attached. Notice the dark spot in between one of the spokes and the silver finish of the rotor that you can see through the others. Still a mystery as to what caused this.
Are those deep groves in the rotor? Maybe the brake got stuck and super hot and then bonded when you stopped. I would definitely check the heat of the rotor after driving for awhile (touch lug nuts).
Or the car was towed on the rear wheels with the parking brake on.

Last edited:
Are those deep groves in the rotor? Maybe the brake got stuck and super hot and then bonded when you stopped. I would definitely check the heat of the rotor after driving for awhile (touch lug nuts).
Or the car was towed with the rear wheels on the ground and the parking brake on.
Or the car was towed on the rear wheels with the parking brake on.
Car was driven into the body shop so I don't think it was ever towed...they did remove that wheel to repair that rear quarter panel, but I can't imagine them needing to tow the car around the lot. There are some grooves on the inside track section of the rotor and then the pad imprint with some deposited pad material. There was a bit of vibration with heavy braking when I first got it back, but that seems to have smoothed out now, so I'm guessing the new pad was able to scrape some of that deposited material off. I'll keep an eye on it. Do you think it's possible there's an issue with traction control where it is applying that brake when not needed? Or possible the collision impact to that wheel knocked the pad out of place? But I did drive for 2 months before taking it to the body shop and I'm sure I would have heard some scraping if that was the case, although I do drive with high regen.

Car was driven into the body shop so I don't think it was ever towed...they did remove that wheel to repair that rear quarter panel, but I can't imagine them needing to tow the car around the lot. There are some grooves on the inside track section of the rotor and then the pad imprint with some deposited pad material. There was a bit of vibration with heavy braking when I first got it back, but that seems to have smoothed out now, so I'm guessing the new pad was able to scrape some of that deposited material off. I'll keep an eye on it. Do you think it's possible there's an issue with traction control where it is applying that brake when not needed? Or possible the collision impact to that wheel knocked the pad out of place? But I did drive for 2 months before taking it to the body shop and I'm sure I would have heard some scraping if that was the case, although I do drive with high regen.
Hmm... no idea. :confused:
It definitely seems like the brake was dragging and overheated.