Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake pads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every Fall, I check my brake fluid. This is 5yrs.

IMG_2375.jpeg

Upvote 0
After 4 years and 103k km (64k miles) the dealer that bought my car thought that the brakes and rotors where brand new. All I have done is yearly caliper cleaning and lubrication.

I did some hard braking every now and then to remove the surface rust from the rotors. The roads are extremely salty here during winter.

Upvote 0
Is brake fluid something I can add myself if I need to? Or does it need to be drained some kind of way before new is added
It can be added but if you need to do that you have a leak. Seek help immediately.

Depending on where you live, brake fluid may need to be periodically flushed. Every two to five years. A pressure bleeder works best. They are inexpensive. A competent service shop can do it fairly cheaply. If I remember correctly from my last car, less than $100.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic. It can be tested. As shown here by @KenC for example. Once it reaches a certain point of contamination it should be flushed. My personal opinion is very five years regardless. I noticed that @KenC's tester showed good after 5 years. He must live in the Sahara dessert. If it was my car, I would still have it flushed.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
It can be added but if you need to do that you have a leak. Seek help immediately.

Depending on where you live, brake fluid may need to be periodically flushed. Every two to five years. A pressure bleeder works best. They are inexpensive. A competent service shop can do it fairly cheaply. If I remember correctly from my last car, less than $100.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic. It can be tested. As shown here by @KenC for example. Once it reaches a certain point of contamination it should be flushed. My personal opinion is very five years regardless. I noticed that @KenC's tester showed good after 5 years. He must live in the Sahara dessert. If it was my car, I would still have it flushed.
I just got my car a week ago, will I get an alert if the fluid is low?

Upvote 0
Is there a brake cleaning kit available or does it need manually stripping and cleaning ?
Asking for a friend :rolleyes:
There is no kit that I know of, and no need for one. All you need is a small brush to clean the pad backing plates and pins and sliding surfaces. Then some silicon grease to lightly lubricate just the parts that slide against each other. The only special tool you might need is a long pin punch to pop out the pins that hold the front brake pads.

• Informative
Upvote 0
Has anyone changed the brake pads and/or rotors? At what mileage did you get them replaced?
I replaced my pads at 39 months (around 65,000 miles) because two of my pads were separating. The friction material in two of my front pads was separating from the metal backer and I decided to replace them even though they still had A LOT of life left based on the thickness. If there were no physical issues they would probably last 200,000 miles. I replaced them all with NRS galvanized brake pads, which are also put together in a way that they friction material will not easily separate from the metal backer. Cost $158 for the fronts, $158 for the rears. Still going strong today at 146,000 miles and will likely never have to replace them again.

• Informative
Upvote 0