Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken Wiper Spring when in service mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had enough of waiting for Tesla to fix this. They texted me a week ago that they'd order a new wiper arm but still nothing. My expectations of them are pretty low anyway but still, it's just a wiper arm, why does it take this long...

With some patience and prying with various tools I managed to pop off the arm. Then with a screwdriver, thick gloves and eye protection I put the damned spring back. I think it went in on the 5th try after flying at various speeds in my garage.

Seems to be working for now. We'll see what the tech says when he comes out. Maybe he'll change it out anyway...

This is why the arm doesn't lift higher:

wiper1.jpeg

And the spring/hook assembly is back:
wiper2.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Huachipato
I've fixed my own before, and I am convinced the error is simply in the design of the little spring extension. It has ~180-degree loops at the ends - if they were 270 degree loops, it wouldn't pop off and the little stopper tab on the side would limit the rise of the wiper arm. I even asked for some quotes on having new custom "extensions" made but guess my requests were for too small an order to get anyone's attention.

The "Stopper tab" on mine was also so shallow that it didn't stop the rise of the arm.

I've fixed my own before, and I am convinced the error is simply in the design of the little spring extension. It has ~180-degree loops at the ends - if they were 270 degree loops, it wouldn't pop off and the little stopper tab on the side would limit the rise of the wiper arm. I even asked for some quotes on having new custom "extensions" made but guess my requests were for too small an order to get anyone's attention.

The "Stopper tab" on mine was also so shallow that it didn't stop the rise of the arm.

I understand what you mean and before I muscled it back, I did try to close the loop ends a bit more but without any luck. It's very hard steel.

In the mean time, Mobile Service just stopped by and he put on a new arm. I did show him that I managed to put the spring back but to make sure it's solid and won't pop off again, he just put the new one in. No charge.

It wipes better now too, so probably the new spring is a bit stronger. All good.

• Informative
Reactions: David29