Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Operate Windshield Wipers When Car is "OFF"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Radio Kid

Supporting Member
I want to troubleshoot a windshield wiper that is "wobbly" when running on the high speed. If I get out of the car, the wipers stop wiping (immediately, or after a few strokes).

Is there a way for one person to have the wipers running when not sitting inside the car? Perhaps some special setting in the Service Mode?

I want to troubleshoot a windshield wiper that is "wobbly" when running on the high speed. If I get out of the car, the wipers stop wiping (immediately, or after a few strokes).

Is there a way for one person to have the wipers running when not sitting inside the car? Perhaps some special setting in the Service Mode?
Have someone else sit in the car?

Upvote 0

I don’t know of a service mode setting for this, though I don’t doubt that there might be one. A low tech solution may be to just put something heavy in the drivers seat to trick it.

Upvote 0
Yup. This is why I asked how this would be done with one person.
Okay, put a large rock in the front seat.

IMG_1440.jpeg

Upvote 0
Okay, put a large rock in the front seat.
I took your suggestion. I put a bunch of heavy stuff on the seat (and leaned stuff on the seat back), but the car would not stay "on" and have the wipers run. I suppose this approach could work, but it's not practical to find enough weight to fool the car.

Thanks, anyway! (You can put that rock down, now.)

• Funny
Reactions: fholbert
Upvote 0
Set everything like you need and crawl out from passenger side (close the seatbelt behind you before moving). Maybe leave the driver’s window open to have access to the stalk. But be prepared for water passage to cabin as you test the wiping with open window.
Haven't done this but have notice that car stays active if the driver’s door will remain shut and you move out from the seat.

Reactions: Radio Kid
Upvote 0