Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brought 2018 model 3 to Seoul. works minus slacker, lte, and navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear you had a hard time on registration. I was told by multiple US and Korean stores that the best way to enjoy a Tesla here in Korea (and you plan to stay here awhile) is to buy in Korea. I have been on the fence for 3 years now and finally placed an order. The SA they assigned me has been extremely helpful and quick to respond with perfect English. I look forward to seeing what the registration process is like after hearing you had a problem. Did you get your blue plates or did you have to get white because you are a foreigner?

Blue. I would have taken a loss selling stateside and not had a tesla for at least a year had I not brought mine and ate the import taxes.

I really thought hard about this one.

At any rate if you don't speak Korean you'll have fun insuring and registering.

Kudos for executing it! I'm in a similar boat. Planning to move to Seoul this summer and initially didn't even consider bringing my MX given all the issues you mentioned above. However, I heard getting a new car takes 1+ year (almost any brand/model) so I'm re-considering transporting my MX. It's a 2016 model so only 2 yrs left on battery, drive unit warranty - so perhaps I'm not losing much there. No LTE but I can use my phone navigation/music.

Would love to hear more how you justified the transportation and your overall experience. Thanks Ivory.

Justified? Can you sell in the states and not get lowballed by the trolls on this forum?

Do you have some Korean movers you trust? Do you speak Korean? Are you OK with not having a Tesla for at least a year? Are you OK with paying a kimchi premium on a new tesla? What about if you wanna move back to the states?

Its a multivariate process and I can't answer for you but you need to constantly ask questions and consider all the context.

What's infuriating is that the map and GPS works and even can update without lte. Even without wifi somehow.... I can be in goyang and have a map that is accurate despite having no connections.

you can even look up locations and call them etc. BUT YOU CANT NAVIGATE TO THEM.

thinking of complaining to elon somehow. This should be a quick fix without adding a Sim card or changing hardware. Having a phone with wifi tethering should work to grant the map navigation capability. It worked back in LA just fine!
20220501_231621.jpg

thinking of complaining to elon somehow.
totally agree; if you are ever going to, let us know so we can back you up lol.

Hey, any other issues having US Spec Tesla in South Korea? Heard no warranty work can be honored in Korea; I still think it should be since both are core markets. That's the thing I worry most bringing brand new MYP.

Tesla Korea does not honor US warranty. Don’t be a guy like me bringing the car to Korea and later worry about fixing the issues, especially DU or Battery problems. You will not able to fix it unless ship the car back to the States. My biggest regret here.

Tesla Korea does not honor US warranty. Don’t be a guy like me bringing the car to Korea and later worry about fixing the issues, especially DU or Battery problems. You will not able to fix it unless ship the car back to the States. My biggest regret here.
Read your story, thanks for sharing, and that’s my current biggest fear. It is still nonsense they are not covering when both markets are their core market. It’s not even clear in their guideline and their rep told me that as soon as a vehicle leave the core market, it becomes a grey vehicle, bs.

So what’s your plan with yours? Send it back for repair or bring it back with you?

What's infuriating is that the map and GPS works and even can update without lte. Even without wifi somehow.... I can be in goyang and have a map that is accurate despite having no connections.

you can even look up locations and call them etc. BUT YOU CANT NAVIGATE TO THEM.
The problem is that the navigation maps are separate from the maps that are displayed. They are stored locally and for your vehicle only includes NA. You would have to get Tesla to swap out the maps and change the configuration.

The problem is that the navigation maps are separate from the maps that are displayed. They are stored locally and for your vehicle only includes NA. You would have to get Tesla to swap out the maps and change the configuration.
This sort of thing makes little sense (to me at least... like why would they do it like that?) and is nearly impossible to communicate from English speakers (tesla corporate) to korean speakers (tesla korea) back to English speakers (me).

totally agree; if you are ever going to, let us know so we can back you up lol.

Hey, any other issues having US Spec Tesla in South Korea? Heard no warranty work can be honored in Korea; I still think it should be since both are core markets. That's the thing I worry most bringing brand new MYP.
Nothing else. Car is better than anything else save for the y. I wouldn't be without this car anywhere.

Aside: Koreans don't even use the tesla map. They use tmap or kakao on their phones. Tesla map is useless since it conveys no info about traffic cams etc.

Additionally? If u wanna use your US sticky plate bracket, you can! But in the front you will need to heat-bend the guard and plate the korean dmv gives you otherwise you'll constantly trip the front collision detectors. Either that or you skip your sticky bracket and drill directly into your front bumper (nono for me, MY CARS BODY MY CHOICE!!)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Nothing else. Car is better than anything else save for the y. I wouldn't be without this car anywhere.

Aside: Koreans don't even use the tesla map. They use tmap or kakao on their phones. Tesla map is useless since it conveys no info about traffic cams etc.

Additionally? If u wanna use your US sticky plate bracket, you can! But in the front you will need to heat-bend the guard and plate the korean dmv gives you otherwise you'll constantly trip the front collision detectors. Either that or you skip your sticky bracket and drill directly into your front bumper (nono for me, MY CARS BODY MY CHOICE!!)
Thanks for sharing your experience and couldn't agree more.

As for the front plate, what are you using? Just browsed it around today, seems like most in Korea doesn’t care about drilling their bumper.

for both the front and back plates i am using my american stick-on bracket.

then i screw in the korean GUARD that you get at your gu-cheong when you register the car. that is what directly holds your plate. as luck would have it, it has *good enough* screw hold placement to fit on the upper screw holes of the american bracket. whew.

i am not using the drill-in korean brackets or whatever. just the korean guard holding the plate and the american bracket.

the rear one has no problems. The front one however, you will notice, trips the front collision detector at slow speeds due to how far the plate sticks out in the front and on the sides (korean plates are long). You'll also notice that other model 3s in korea *curve* their plates ever so slightly in the front, if you look around. i asked around. it's to deal with that tripping of the detector...i guess tesla didnt foresee korea plates being so long. so even if their plates stick out less since theyre drilling directy onto the bumper, the length of the plate still trips up the detector, so they have to bend the plates slightly. go look around at all the model 3s (its unique to them) in korea. you'll notice that they (and i think maybe some other cars) have a bend in the plates to counter the length issue and tripping up the sensors.

so HOW did i bend my guard and my plate? well the plate is like aluminum. it bends easily. for the guard? use a hairdryer or a hot air gun of some sort, and carefully but strongly bend at a sharp angle as applying heat to the right two locations on the guard. easy peasy. Then it will not trip your detctors. your front plate will be slightly more curved than the koreans but its not too noticeable and importantly is still legible and not illegal.

for both the front and back plates i am using my american stick-on bracket.

then i screw in the korean GUARD that you get at your gu-cheong when you register the car. that is what directly holds your plate. as luck would have it, it has *good enough* screw hold placement to fit on the upper screw holes of the american bracket. whew.

i am not using the drill-in korean brackets or whatever. just the korean guard holding the plate and the american bracket.

the rear one has no problems. The front one however, you will notice, trips the front collision detector at slow speeds due to how far the plate sticks out in the front and on the sides (korean plates are long). You'll also notice that other model 3s in korea *curve* their plates ever so slightly in the front, if you look around. i asked around. it's to deal with that tripping of the detector...i guess tesla didnt foresee korea plates being so long. so even if their plates stick out less since theyre drilling directy onto the bumper, the length of the plate still trips up the detector, so they have to bend the plates slightly. go look around at all the model 3s (its unique to them) in korea. you'll notice that they (and i think maybe some other cars) have a bend in the plates to counter the length issue and tripping up the sensors.

so HOW did i bend my guard and my plate? well the plate is like aluminum. it bends easily. for the guard? use a hairdryer or a hot air gun of some sort, and carefully but strongly bend at a sharp angle as applying heat to the right two locations on the guard. easy peasy. Then it will not trip your detctors. your front plate will be slightly more curved than the koreans but its not too noticeable and importantly is still legible and not illegal.
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing your insight.

It should go without saying that supercharging works so long as you change your credit card and phone number online to be your korean credit card and phone number.

Destination charging using the regular tesla chargeport(sort of like 완속 40km/hr)is often free and unrestricted at malls etc. Unlike the US (LA socal in particular) where destination charging was nearly always gated by hotel staff and hotel fees.