Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brown Metallic Paint Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there was 2 brown colors. One slightly deeper called Titanium Metallic. One slightly lighter called Brown Metallic. Not sure which one you have.

According to EV-CPO, in the US there have been the following cars sold through the Tesla CPO program
12,652 cars in total
673 were Titanium
103 were Brown
Now that's just the US and just what went through the CPO program. Europe seems to have had 10 Brown Metallic cars, Canada 3, Asia 0.

So your sales rep is probably correct, there was probably about 200 Brown Metallic cars made.

Maybe someone else has actual data but great question exaccord!

The brown and green cars are pretty rare. I don't usually like brown or green but somehow they both look amazing. I can't believe Tesla went from those amazing colors to the boring set they have today. Also, I miss the days that BMW had exciting M3 colors.

Thanks for the update! I have the brown metallic.

The CPO data is indicative to new cars based on sample size compared to the amount of new cars sold. In other words, of the CPO cars sold, .8141% were the brown metallic. If I knew how many new cars were sold 2012-2015 (which years were those colors used?) and take .8141% of that number I could get an idea of how many MS there are on the road with that color.

I also have the P85D with the + suspension, which I imagine adds to the rarity on some level?

Hi exaccord, yes it's a rare car for sure being a P85D+ in that color. If it has Ludicrous, then it's probably one of a kind if it isn't already.

Appears that color was made from 2012-2015 and according to Wiki "As of December 2015, a total of 107,228 Model S sedans had been sold worldwide since its introduction". Sales numbers are here Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

0.008141 * 107,228 = 873, so the numbers don't jive with the 200 somehow.

I just bought a P85D+ in Brown Metallic Paint. The sales rep that I was working with said he think there was only a few hundred made/ordered in that color.

My question is, is there anywhere that has that data for me to look up?

Titanium and Brown were entirely different. I would not think of Titanium as "Brown."
The Brown was discontinued well before the Titanium became available (in early 2015, I think).

The brown and green cars are pretty rare. I don't usually like brown or green but somehow they both look amazing. I can't believe Tesla went from those amazing colors to the boring set they have today. Also, I miss the days that BMW had exciting M3 colors.
The trouble with both Brown and Green is that both are so dark that they look black unless the light is bright. i have been at EV events on sunny days and have seen both colors, but only realized they were not black after a double-take.

I think there was 2 brown colors. One slightly deeper called Titanium Metallic. One slightly lighter called Brown Metallic. Not sure which one you have.

According to EV-CPO, in the US there have been the following cars sold through the Tesla CPO program
12,652 cars in total
673 were Titanium
103 were Brown
Now that's just the US and just what went through the CPO program. Europe seems to have had 10 Brown Metallic cars, Canada 3, Asia 0.

So your sales rep is probably correct, there was probably about 200 Brown Metallic cars made.

Maybe someone else has actual data but great question exaccord!

You have them backwards - Titanium was a light brown, almost gold color (what I ordered on my 2016.)

Brown was a much darker color that was offered much more briefly and earlier.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
Is this the brown you are talking about? I bought this this (P85+) CPO last year, I was told it was rare but have seen two of them the same color since.

IMG_0544.JPG

Hi exaccord, yes it's a rare car for sure being a P85D+ in that color. If it has Ludicrous, then it's probably one of a kind if it isn't already.

Appears that color was made from 2012-2015 and according to Wiki "As of December 2015, a total of 107,228 Model S sedans had been sold worldwide since its introduction". Sales numbers are here Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

Your math seems sound, we'll have to go with that. Doesnt show the P85D+ numbers though. According to the CPO site, there have been 202 P85D+ sold since its kept track. (obviously doesnt take into account any used MS that didnt go through Tesla)

Is this the brown you are talking about? I bought this this (P85+) CPO last year, I was told it was rare but have seen two of them the same color since.

View attachment 420339
That looks like it, hard to tell from the one pic, but I'm fairly sure that is the one.

Last edited:

Was playing around the CPO site, it looks like there have been 202 P85D+ CPOs sold, and only 1 P85D+L sold ever. I know that they started the L upgrade around the same time the + was abandoned, so I do think that is a very rare vehicle.

The question we should ask ourselves is, does anyone outside of our obsessed world care about how rare it is? in other words, does the rarity of our MS increase the value, or will it in the future? I hope so....

Was playing around the CPO site, it looks like there have been 202 P85D+ CPOs sold, and only 1 P85D+L sold ever. I know that they started the L upgrade around the same time the + was abandoned, so I do think that is a very rare vehicle.

You really can't go by the PX01 option code (Performance Plus) on P85Ds to tell how many had the Performance Plus suspension. Between December 2014 and April 2015, all P85Ds had the + suspension, but only about half had the PX01 option code. Many had the PX00 option code ("No Performance Plus Suspension") but actually had it. So it's really hard to tell how many P85D+s were sold going by the CPO data alone. We'd basically need P85D production numbers ending April, 2015. That's how many P85D+s were made.

As far as the Ludicrous option, not a single P85D left the factory with the Ludicrous option. It was a retrofit briefly offered to original P85D owners for $5000 when the P90DL was announced (to replace the P85D) in July, 2015 -- three months after the P85D+ stopped being produced. Any P85D+ with L in the database had the option code added to their car later, after the retrofit was done. There are 12 P85DLs in the database, but many more still with private owners who had the retrofit done.

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
You really can't go by the PX01 option code (Performance Plus) on P85Ds to tell how many had the Performance Plus suspension. Between December 2014 and April 2015, all P85Ds had the + suspension, but only about half had the PX01 option code. Many had the PX00 option code ("No Performance Plus Suspension") but actually had it. So it's really hard to tell how many P85D+s were sold going by the CPO data alone. We'd basically need P85D production numbers ending April, 2015. That's how many P85D+s were made.

As far as the Ludicrous option, not a single P85D left the factory with the Ludicrous option. It was a retrofit briefly offered to original P85D owners for $5000 when the P90DL was announced (to replace the P85D) in July, 2015 -- three months after the P85D+ stopped being produced. Any P85D+ with L in the database had the option code added to their car later, after the retrofit was done. There are 12 P85DLs in the database, but many more still with private owners who had the retrofit done.

All makes sense. Guess I'll never know for sure the rarity.

I knew about the retrofit. Wish they still did it.... I'd do it in a heartbeat.