Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubble in my tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed a bubble in my tire. Can't remember hitting a pothole and the rim is fine. Is this covered by warranty? Can I still drive the car?
MY LR 5 months with 5K miles. Thank you.

Attachments

• Tire Bubble1.jpg
    Tire Bubble1.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 1,970
Yup, manufacturing defect like that is covered under the tire warranty, at worst they will pro-rate the refund based on the miles driven vs the "expected" life span of the tire. The tire warranty for most (possibly all) cars is a separate warranty from the actual car warranty that is provided by the tire manufacturer since tires are a "wear item".

Keith

Reactions: Ikelo
Yup, manufacturing defect like that is covered under the tire warranty, at worst they will pro-rate the refund based on the miles driven vs the "expected" life span of the tire. The tire warranty for most (possibly all) cars is a separate warranty from the actual car warranty that is provided by the tire manufacturer since tires are a "wear item".

Keith
Thanks Keith.

I have my appointment at the SC in 2 weeks. I'll post an update on the outcome.

Reactions: 101dals
Thanks Keith.

I have my appointment at the SC in 2 weeks. I'll post an update on the outcome.
They could possibly swap the tire for you but normally you'd just file a claim with goodyear (for ex.) and they'd swap it for you. But either way, you're going to run into a problem with tire wear aka tread depth between the new tire and it's matching counter part. Sometimes it's best to replace in pairs per axle.

They could possibly swap the tire for you but normally you'd just file a claim with goodyear (for ex.) and they'd swap it for you. But either way, you're going to run into a problem with tire wear aka tread depth between the new tire and it's matching counter part. Sometimes it's best to replace in pairs per axle.
Been looking forward to replaced these OEM tires with Pilot Sport AS4. How bad would it be if I replace both rear tires with AS4 and keep the original 2 goodyear until it wears out? Thanks.

Been looking forward to replaced these OEM tires with Pilot Sport AS4. How bad would it be if I replace both rear tires with AS4 and keep the original 2 goodyear until it wears out? Thanks.
If the outer circumference is close it shouldn't be a problem granted there are other concerns like differences in grip. What I would do instead is with your replacement (however that happens), find a local shop that shaves tires and get the new one shaved to match. Run those till you're ready to switch a whole new set.

Good luck finding someone to shave tires. I looked throughout the DFW area, no luck. TireRack actually WILL shave tires, but you'll have to find someone there, via phone, that knows that.
5k miles? If you haven't abused the tires with aggressive driving, the tread depth difference would be minimal.

I wouldn't wait 2 weeks for the SC appointment. Go to Discount Tire and have them inspect, they'll probably be willing to replace it and deal with Goodyear directly on your behalf.

On previous cars (non Tesla) I was successful once having a bubble tire replaced for free and not successful on a different occasion. Not sure how they determine if it’s a manufacturer defect vs road hazard.
Based entirely on the photo, there's no scuffing on the sidewall, no impact marks on the rim. The only issue is the bubble itself. It looks like a defect to me.

Good luck finding someone to shave tires. I looked throughout the DFW area, no luck. TireRack actually WILL shave tires, but you'll have to find someone there, via phone, that knows that.
5k miles? If you haven't abused the tires with aggressive driving, the tread depth difference would be minimal.

I wouldn't wait 2 weeks for the SC appointment. Go to Discount Tire and have them inspect, they'll probably be willing to replace it and deal with Goodyear directly on your behalf.
Good idea going to Discount Tire, I'll do that. At least I'll have their first opinion. Thanks.

Ikelo: most important, I wouldn't continue driving on that tire...at least avoid high speed. My wife had a tennis sized sidewall blowout hole on a Michelin Premier tire (2014 Toyota Avalon) a couple of years ago. It was on the passenger side rear tire. I wonder if it had a bubble before it blew? She swears there was no road debris involved.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Ikelo: most important, I wouldn't continue driving on that tire...at least avoid high speed. My wife had a tennis sized sidewall blowout hole on a Michelin Premier tire (2014 Toyota Avalon) a couple of years ago. It was on the passenger side rear tire. I wonder if it had a bubble before it blew? She swears there was no road debris involved.
I totally agree, I'm currently using my other car that's why I have time to wait for my SC appointment. She's been sitting in my garage plugged in :). Thank you.