Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubbles in glass roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So about day 5 since picking up my M3P, I noticed a section of the rear roof that appears to be small bubbles in the glass. I only noticed after the paint polish and 2nd coat ceramic coating so there are only a few and quite small (< pinhead). Two of them are at the surface so technically a pit in the glass.

I can contact the service center, so my question is really whether they're going to ask my to drive 2 hours (SC to NC) just to tell me "it's ok"?

I can contact the service center, so my question is really whether they're going to ask my to drive 2 hours (SC to NC) just to tell me "it's ok"?

I am not an expert but I wouldn't want any pinhead bubbles in my camera lens but for vehicle glasses, I would imagine the intense extreme heat and cold (expansion and contraction) would eventually yield some effects from those bubbles.

At least, I would take pictures and send them to Tesla as documented defects if you need replacement in the future.

Last edited:

Without any pictures no one could do anything but guess, but thats probably what would happen.

Even if it doesnt, do you really want them replacing the glass roof for "a few quite small, less than a pinhead in side bubbles / pits"? I wouldnt, personally, because I wouldnt want them replacing that part and possibly introducing something like more noise, damaged seals, etc.

When I took delivery of my MY there was an imperfection in the glass roof. It was actually my delivery advisor who spotted the issue.

The DA had the service manager come out and look at the spot and he agreed the roof should be replaced. It took 2 weeks for the service center to get a new glass roof. When it arrived, I dropped my car off around noon and got it back around noon the next day.

I too was nervous about trading a small imperfection for unknown issues caused by a roof replacement, but 4 months later, no leaks or rattles to report.