Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Glass - Slightly Higher Where It Meets The Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked out my Model Y today since my delivery got delayed and it looks pretty solid and perfect.

My only “concern” is there’s a section of glass on the trunk glass that sticks up slightly higher than the roof glass.

This picture is standing from behind the vehicle showing how a section of the glass appears to be slightly higher than the roof glass.

IMG_2165.jpeg

IMG_2167.jpeg

Is this something that could give me issues?

Common problem.

I actually noticed this on a red MYP next to mine at delivery (Dec), which made me look at my own glass and noticed the same thing. My gap was larger and on the driver's side. The couple in the red MYP complained but was told it was in spec so they just took off. I was told mine was a manufacturing defect but wouldn't be fixed because it was water tight. I called their bluff, because I had inspected a gap in the tailgate's weather stripping that I was about to, but had not yet mentioned. When I threw water from a bottle into the crack, traces of water were found inside.

I spotted two other new Model Y's at superchargers with paper plates having the same issues and spoke with the owners. One said they had a replacement scheduled (free), another got pissed off at me because he couldn't see what I was pointing out. I didn't speak to another 2 I spotted the issue on. The issue simply does not bother everyone, just some. I was about to let it slide but then it snapped to me I wouldn't be getting bulging glass on any other vehicle make.

Notes: I found a foreign block which caused the bulge.
Another note: I live in a state where glass replacements are free.