Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Glass - Slightly Higher Where It Meets The Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked out my Model Y today since my delivery got delayed and it looks pretty solid and perfect.

My only “concern” is there’s a section of glass on the trunk glass that sticks up slightly higher than the roof glass.

This picture is standing from behind the vehicle showing how a section of the glass appears to be slightly higher than the roof glass.

IMG_2165.jpeg
IMG_2167.jpeg

Is this something that could give me issues?

How does it look from the side? I think mine is similar to yours from the back view. You can always ask during delivery or report it in the app and they will take a look. They'll most likely say within spec.
You mind taking a picture of yours from the back view?

I’m pretty OCD and it’s the only “issue” I could find.

I'll try to take a picture. The reflection kind of makes it hard to tell. And actually, it looks like my entire rear glass is slightly higher. It could be the alignment of my hatch too. You might be able to tell from the sides if it peeks higher than the roof.

I'll try to take a picture. The reflection kind of makes it hard to tell. And actually, it looks like my entire rear glass is slightly higher. It could be the alignment of my hatch too. You might be able to tell from the sides if it peeks higher than the roof.
Since mine is in that one little spot and both sides and about 75% is perfect…I don’t think it’s the hatch. I’m guessing there’s a slight imperfection in the glass. If you take a picture from behind the vehicle, similar to mine, it should show decently.

May try adjusting the 4 bump stops on the rear hatch to see if you can even out the gaps.
Where are those?

If these 2 glass panels have different curvatures, there's no way to adjust the hatch to make it line up.

The tricky question is: Which panel isn't "within spec"? Does the roof glass have a slight dip on the passenger side, or is the hatch glass bulging at that point?

The photo seems to show irregular curve in the hatch glass.

I’m fine as long as it doesn’t leak…still awaiting to take delivery.

Can you post a picture of yours?
If you insist 🥲

When you wash your car, sit down and look at your hard work - and your eyes immediately go to the roof line to see something just isn’t right..

I make it a habit now of looking at other MY on the road and notice several have the issue. From what I’ve noticed, they’re on MY without parking sensors, so I’m guessing this is a more recent issue.

IMG_7603.jpeg

Reactions: ghsnick!
If you insist 🥲

When you wash your car, sit down and look at your hard work - and your eyes immediately go to the roof line to see something just isn’t right..

I make it a habit now of looking at other MY on the road and notice several have the issue. From what I’ve noticed, they’re on MY without parking sensors, so I’m guessing this is a more recent issue.

View attachment 1007453
Wow, that looks just like the one I’m going to be picking up soon. Glad to know it’s “within spec” and I’m not an outlier.

I had a similar issue with my Fremont built 2023 MYP when I took deliver of it in December of 2022. See picture. It turned out to be an issue with the adhesive that held the room on. They ended up needing to replace the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    606.3 KB · Views: 27
If you insist 🥲

View attachment 1007453
I went to Tesla Burbank and check other new MY and 7 out of 8 MY they have the same roof and rear glass with either one side or the middle is higher.

Reactions: Chewy13