Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Build quality issues are exaggerated!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far 1 day into ownership and looking over things while i'm before 7/100, I haven't found much that is sticking out which is a good thing. I did notice this part on the rear quarter panel that had chipped paint. Is this something worth putting, or am I asking for them to probably mess it up trying to fix it? If it's just gonna be touch up paint is it worth it?

I already have a service appointment to have them probably replace some plastic trim that had scratches on it at delivery.

IMG_1673.jpg

So far 1 day into ownership and looking over things while i'm before 7/100, I haven't found much that is sticking out which is a good thing. I did notice this part on the rear quarter panel that had chipped paint. Is this something worth putting, or am I asking for them to probably mess it up trying to fix it? If it's just gonna be touch up paint is it worth it?

I already have a service appointment to have them probably replace some plastic trim that had scratches on it at delivery.

View attachment 958191
Seems pretty superficial to me. Not worth the time in my view.

Took delivery of my MYP on July 12th. Air conditioner quit working on July 20th. In a loaner car and probably won’t have my car back for 2 weeks
Bummer. We are very happy with our June 1st build. Zero issues so far. Took it on our first 'long' trip - over 800 miles round trip.

Faster charging was great (15 minute stop). So was the fact we only need one stop (our 2016 75D requires 2 to the same destination). Sad part - had to pay for supercharging. (MS is free for life). Also was a little disappointed in efficiency - averaged 280W/mile (mostly drove in the 65-75 MPH range) - the same as the MS. Was expecting better but maybe it needs more break-in.

Hope that is your only problem. Cheers...

Reactions: jgonz69
Picked up my 2023 MYLR earlier this week, and spend like 1.5 hours going through every item on this checklist, and there were 0 issues. The car is super well built (I’m in a profession that requires eye for detail). I also poked around other ‘ready for delivery’ cars on the lot, and didn’t notice anything. No paint chips, no weird panel gaps, nada. I was so worried seeing some of the recent build quality posts. Now I can safely say, they’re either very rare or exaggerated.

Positive rant over.
Congrats!!

May I know where your car was built?

If possible, I do love to get the car like it, but unfortunately some of us didn’t. Some even had to reject the cars by the very obvious issues.

And sometimes this may be all about how tolerable we may be. Someone can accept certain things, and others can’t. For example, my trunk left side has the minor gap. Since then 9 out of 10 friends are also okay with it, but 1 said he would request to fix or reject it.

I picked up my MYLR in June, and most of us in that time slot all had something, more or less, to say to their SAs. There were about 16 MYs out of all Teslas in that hour. They’re mixed from Fremont or Austin.

Btw, I used the same checklist.

Took delivery of my MYP on July 12th. Air conditioner quit working on July 20th. In a loaner car and probably won’t have my car back for 2 weeks
So the service department says body control module and front end harness needs to be replaced. Does any know if this controls the A/C?
And to add insult to injury, the loaner they gave me doesn’t hold a charge. Charged up to 85%, now 30% today. So now more inconvenienced now that we have to go to superchargers to keep this piece of crap charged up.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
So the service department says body control module and front end harness needs to be replaced. Does any know if this controls the A/C?
And to add insult to injury, the loaner they gave me doesn’t hold a charge. Charged up to 85%, now 30% today. So now more inconvenienced now that we have to go to superchargers to keep this piece of crap charged up.
It dropped from 85% to 30% overnight? That's crazy...

Sounds like a lot of progress on quality and good support from the SC(s) working to solve any outages....
My experience has been good.....there was a alignment issue, which required me to go back, but it was solved while I waited.
My expectations were low, based on the price, but I have found it to be higher quality than most USA built cars. Mine was built in Austin.
Sorry to hear about others that are not having good luck

Sounds like a lot of progress on quality and good support from the SC(s) working to solve any outages....
My experience has been good.....there was a alignment issue, which required me to go back, but it was solved while I waited.
My expectations were low, based on the price, but I have found it to be higher quality than most USA built cars. Mine was built in Austin.
Sorry to hear about others that are not having good luck
What was the alignment issue - pulling to one side?

What was the alignment issue - pulling to one side?
yes ...here is the background
I jumped up on the highway after taking delivery. It was pulling to the left. If you let go of the wheel it would change lanes. I opened the app on the ride home and scheduled a service visit the next day. The tech hopped into the car to go on a test drive with me and put the car in service mode, jumped thru a few screens and showed me that the "toe in /toe out" was not adjusted properly.
They pulled it in made the adjustment and I was on my way in about 1 hour.

Yes it would have been better if they checked that before delivery, but they don't.
The service tech was super nice.

One more comment. I have Gemini 19's with the plastic hub caps. The way the plastic hub caps are designed to clip on to the rims causes small scratches to the alloy when they are pulled on and off. I guess that's not a big deal for most people, but I like the look of the alloys, and don't want to have then scratched, which happens when they are pulled on and off.
As you may expect they had to pull them off to do the adjustment discussed above.
I ordered the center cap and lug nut covers and will use these as the winter package. I bought new 20' induction rims and tires that I plan to use in the summer, but I have not got around to putting them on.

IMG_4859 (002).jpg
IMG_4832 (002).jpg

yes ...here is the background
I jumped up on the highway after taking delivery. It was pulling to the left. If you let go of the wheel it would change lanes. I opened the app on the ride home and scheduled a service visit the next day. The tech hopped into the car to go on a test drive with me and put the car in service mode, jumped thru a few screens and showed me that the "toe in /toe out" was not adjusted properly.
They pulled it in made the adjustment and I was on my way in about 1 hour.

Yes it would have been better if they checked that before delivery, but they don't.
The service tech was super nice.

One more comment. I have Gemini 19's with the plastic hub caps. The way the plastic hub caps are designed to clip on to the rims causes small scratches to the alloy when they are pulled on and off. I guess that's not a big deal for most people, but I like the look of the alloys, and don't want to have then scratched, which happens when they are pulled on and off.
As you may expect they had to pull them off to do the adjustment discussed above.
I ordered the center cap and lug nut covers and will use these as the winter package. I bought new 20' induction rims and tires that I plan to use in the summer, but I have not got around to putting them on.

View attachment 959745View attachment 959746
Interesting - I didn't know you could 'see' the actual toe in / toe out measurement directly from the screen - or was that using his 'computer'? And I thought you couldn't drive the car on the highway in service mode...

Interesting - I didn't know you could 'see' the actual toe in / toe out measurement directly from the screen - or was that using his 'computer'? And I thought you couldn't drive the car on the highway in service mode...
I was amazed........the "toe in / toe out" showed ranges, like on a 1/2 dial that showed the degree of angle from "true" - so he knew exactly how much of an adjustment would be required. "oh man, I see what you mean, this is off - I can get this taken care of while you wait"
We were in service mode for the entire test drive-----about 6 miles of highway. There was a red "frame" around the screen.
The tech was super knowledgeable and really friendly. Impressive.

Reactions: Yelobird and FMinMI
I’ve been trying to figure out what to do about the door alignment on my 2023 MYP. The passenger side looks pretty good but the driver side doors are recessed into body molding:

View attachment 955198
View attachment 955200

As I said the passenger side looks OK:

View attachment 955201
View attachment 955202

I’d be inclined to attempt to align the drivers side into a similar state, however I noticed that my passenger side rear door isn’t sealing when closed:

View attachment 955208

Sigh. Not sure what to do. Overall I’m enjoying the MYP, but I don’t understand why Tesla still can’t align car doors in the year of our lord 2023. It’s pathetic, frankly.
Ended up adjusting the doors myself and I’m petty happy with the result. Alignment issues tend to cascade to adjacent panels so I had to adjust both doors and the front fender. Tesla.

71293089335__64771C57-6ACC-4374-B98F-934162DF2DF7.jpeg

Reactions: HitchHiker71
So I did get my MYP back august 1st. The body control module and front end harness were fried
So I did get my MYP back august 1st. The body control module and front end harness were fried. So a lot of functions were compromised. Decided to drive the car to San Diego this weekend, and it worked great. A/C ran strong. I wasn’t too upset with Tesla since these things do happen and I have a 2018 M3LR and that thing is a tank, no issues with that one, so that contributed to having patience with them on this issue.

Same here. People also say Tesla paint isn't as good as others. This is not true either. Several have used a paint thickness gauges to determine it's put on just as thick and in come cases thicker than several OEMs.
Not my experience, see the hood of my brand new Model Y and this is post trip to the body shop to "fix" the paint.

Attachments

• 20230823_202303.jpg
    20230823_202303.jpg
    977.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230823_202300.jpg
    20230823_202300.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230823_202314.jpg
    20230823_202314.jpg
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230823_202554.jpg
    20230823_202554.jpg