Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm living a nightmare experience - Desperately need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AlexThePilot

Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2023
Florida
Hello everyone,

I'm a first time poster, but long time reader.

Quick intro about me:

In 2021 I purchased my first Tesla (2021 Model Y Performance Red exterior with white interior) and fell in love with the car. I drove it until December 28th of 2022 when I purchased my 2023 Model X Plaid (Red exterior with White interior).

On delivery of the Model X Plaid, there were several defects noted that should have been an easy fix in the shop at a later date. Main issues needing correction were:

- Paint Blemish on the hood
- Broken interior trim piece in trunk.
- Panel gap on right falcon wing door.

Otherwise the car was fine.

February 10th, 2023 was the first available appointment and I brought the car in to get those items corrected. While in the body shop, the shop advised that the LEFT falcon wing door wasn't closing properly and needed replacement. This was news to me but I trusted their word and since it was covered figured why not right..? Big mistake... After 2 different attempts of ordering and installing the door the third attempt was a "success"... kind of.

April 29th, 2023... I FINALLY get my vehicle back from the Tesla and it is now worse than it was when I got it. The right falcon wing door which initially was brought in to fix a small panel gap won't open or close. When forced open it wobbles like it's about to fall off the hinges. My left turn signal camera (nothing wrong with it previously) wasn't working which in turn didn't allow for the use of autopilot or even cruise control. My steering yoke (nothing wrong it with previously) no longer gave haptic response when inputs were made on any of the keys. The panel gaps in the hood and trunk were worse than when brought it..

I brought all of these to my local dealerships attention and even they were appalled.. or so they acted... After spending almost 3 months in the body shop and coming out worse than it was when brought it, Tesla agreed to buyback my Model X Plaid and take the buyback amount and put it towards a down payment towards a new Model X Plaid with HW4 and the new radar (Ultra Red with White Interior) which I was guided to purchase ASAP to prevent having to wait too long.... lol funny joke...

The buyback process started May 4th...

My new car arrived May 31st...

Fast forward to present day (June 21st)
... My car has been sitting on the Tesla Lot for 22 days baking in the sun. When it first arrived the mid left seat wouldn't move electronically. It ended up needing the seat completely replaced. They got the seat fixed and the car is ready for delivery.. However I cannot take delivery because until yesterday evening, Tesla Finance dragged their feet in re-submitting the buyback release amount after sending it initially with a typo in the amount..

As of yesterday they finally sent it and all the paperwork has been filed. We should be good to go.. right? Nope..

Now, I'm being told we are actually waiting on Tesla to add the funds towards the down payment of the new car. I'm being told that could take another month.

All of this.. My sales reps have been pulling their hair out just as much as I have. We are all sitting here relying on people in Tesla Corporate to do their job and they simply aren't. I'm a dedicated Tesla owner but I'm losing hope so quickly.

I don't know how to get Tesla's attention or who to reach out to in order to light a fire. My local service center advised me it's passed the regional level and is now at the directors level.. I don't know what to believe anymore. But for someone who is purchasing literally the most expensive product they currently offer, you'd certainly expect better.. Especially when none of this was by choice but caused due to crappy build quality on their end..

Any suggestions, words of advise or wisdom.. or honestly anything? I'm helpless now.

Thanks for reading / listening.. Feels good to get this off of my chest after dealing with this BS for so long now.

Alex

Curious to hear more about your buyback process. My Model 3 has had four different issues with the screen freezing and/or going black while driving for minutes at a time (hard reset didn’t work) and now I’m working with a lawyer. Were they pretty open to it in your case or was it challenging?

Curious to hear more about your buyback process. My Model 3 has had four different issues with the screen freezing and/or going black while driving for minutes at a time (hard reset didn’t work) and now I’m working with a lawyer. Were they pretty open to it in your case or was it challenging?
The buyback process has been nothing short of painstaking. The service center can do nothing more than initiate the process but the rest of the process gets sent up to corporate to handle. I've found out the hard way that Tesla Corporate has no urgency nor motivation to do their job whatsoever. It's to the point that the GM and my sales advisor at my local service center have thrown their hands in the air and cursed the company out themselves.

go check out a Mercedes EQS.
I would say… every brand comes with its own challenges and issues. Not to say that the EQS is a bad vehicle. Not at all… I’d even say there’s value for $ in the EQS. Just that the EQS has its fair share of issues that are also noted on public forums… battery replacements taking 2 months, DOA, failures after just hundreds of miles on the odometer… these things happen. YMMV

Hate nightmare stories like this.

A year ago I had Stellantis replace my wrangler engine and they paid $12K
My bottom up escalation quickly hit headwinds
I immediately restarted with an escalation at the top as my warranty was active but bottom up wanted to blame me for the engine failure.
For the top escalation, I researched and emailed C level contacts at Jeep and Mopar for rhe warranty.
Besides email you can also message on LinkedIn.
Research whom the big shots are at Tesla above the directors you have involved. Don’t get tired and have the step history and status brief but accurate. Rattle the Tesla tree.
Don’t give up as my first email send received no response and has to hit the chain again. Add color for your passion and commitment to the company and threaten the EQS option.
Get someone on the phone and confirm every step agreement in email.
Keep up the pressure on them and drive the process like a project until you get what you need.
Worst case your state’s Lemon Law and legal letter might have to be used.
I am always polite, kind, patient and flexible.
Every vendor escalation I have ever done was successful.
Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: maytaurustiger
Hello everyone,

Quick intro about me:

In 2021 I purchased my first Tesla (2021 Model Y Performance Red exterior with white interior) and fell in love with the car. I drove it until December 28th of 2022 when I purchased my 2023 Model X Plaid (Red exterior with White interior).

On delivery of the Model X Plaid, there were several defects noted that should have been an easy fix in the shop at a later date. Main issues needing correction were:

February 10th, 2023 was the first available appointment and I brought the car in to get those items corrected. While in the body shop, the shop advised that the LEFT falcon wing door wasn't closing properly and needed replacement. This was news to me but I trusted their word and since it was covered figured why not right..? Big mistake... After 2 different attempts of ordering and installing the door the third attempt was a "success"... kind of.

April 29th, 2023... I FINALLY get my vehicle back from the Tesla and it is now worse than it was when I got it. The right falcon wing door which initially was brought in to fix a small panel gap won't open or close. When forced open it wobbles like it's about to fall off the hinges. My left turn signal camera (nothing wrong with it previously) wasn't working which in turn didn't allow for the use of autopilot or even cruise control. My steering yoke (nothing wrong it with previously) no longer gave haptic response when inputs were made on any of the keys. The panel gaps in the hood and trunk were worse than when brought it..

I brought all of these to my local dealerships attention and even they were appalled.. or so they acted... After spending almost 3 months in the body shop and coming out worse than it was when brought it, Tesla agreed to buyback my Model X Plaid and take the buyback amount and put it towards a down payment towards a new Model X Plaid with HW4 and the new radar (Ultra Red with White Interior) which I was guided to purchase ASAP to prevent having to wait too long.... lol funny joke...

... My car has been sitting on the Tesla Lot for 22 days baking in the sun. When it first arrived the mid left seat wouldn't move electronically. It ended up needing the seat completely replaced. They got the seat fixed and the car is ready for delivery.. However I cannot take delivery because until yesterday evening, Tesla Finance dragged their feet in re-submitting the buyback release amount after sending it initially with a typo in the amount..

As of yesterday they finally sent it and all the paperwork has been filed. We should be good to go.. right? Nope..

Now, I'm being told we are actually waiting on Tesla to add the funds towards the down payment of the new car. I'm being told that could take another month.

All of this.. My sales reps have been pulling their hair out just as much as I have. We are all sitting here relying on people in Tesla Corporate to do their job and they simply aren't. I'm a dedicated Tesla owner but I'm losing hope so quickly.

I don't know how to get Tesla's attention or who to reach out to in order to light a fire. My local service center advised me it's passed the regional level and is now at the directors level.. I don't know what to believe anymore. But for someone who is purchasing literally the most expensive product they currently offer, you'd certainly expect better.. Especially when none of this was by choice but caused due to crappy build quality on their end..

Any suggestions, words of advise or wisdom.. or honestly anything? I'm helpless now.

Thanks for reading / listening.. Feels good to get this off of my chest after dealing with this BS for so long now.

Alex
I had a hell of time with a lease buy back for my Toronto Model X. I did have to escalate it to Tesla financing and the local office at the same time. In my case I needed a safety so the local office did that and I kept escalating to finance. Once the problem was fixed I asked why is this such an issue and they told me that Tesla no longer has buybacks in their leases so they are not well equipped for it. So my advice double escalate the problem.

Reactions: kpanda17
I had a hell of time with a lease buy back for my Toronto Model X. I did have to escalate it to Tesla financing and the local office at the same time. In my case I needed a safety so the local office did that and I kept escalating to finance. Once the problem was fixed I asked why is this such an issue and they told me that Tesla no longer has buybacks in their leases so they are not well equipped for it. So my advice double escalate the problem.
How did you escalate it to Finance? After four complaints about the screen, one replacement and three “repairs,” it’s starting to flicker again and now it’s out of warranty. My lawyer wants to file a lawsuit next week, but I’d personally rather not deal with a lawyer.

I experienced three times in six hours, the center screen going black and rebooting on a Loaner Model 3 two years ago when my Model X was in for some warranty work. Very scary indeed. I have never had that with Loaner Model S's or X's. Thank you for reporting that you also experienced this issue.

Reactions: El joe
I experienced three times in six hours, the center screen going black and rebooting on a Loaner Model 3 two years ago when my Model X was in for some warranty work. Very scary indeed. I have never had that with Loaner Model S's or X's. Thank you for reporting that you also experienced this issue.
Definitely. I’ve made a bit of headway today, too, towards a buyback so I’ll make sure to report back what ultimately happens with my case(s).

Hello everyone,

Quick intro about me:

Alex
Just wondering if you had an update on this? After numerous emails and letters to Tesla, emails to my state’s Attorney General and other state bodies that deal with lemons, I finally heard back from Tesla that they’re buying my car back. Hoping it closes soon as they asked me for the ten-day buyout on my car but I’m thrilled that it seems like they’re buying it back. Especially as it’s out of warranty and had yet another major screen issue last week.

Reactions: kpanda17
The buyback process has been nothing short of painstaking. The service center can do nothing more than initiate the process but the rest of the process gets sent up to corporate to handle. I've found out the hard way that Tesla Corporate has no urgency nor motivation to do their job whatsoever. It's to the point that the GM and my sales advisor at my local service center have thrown their hands in the air and cursed the company out themselves.
At least you have the GM of the service center on your side. I don't, and I've been trying to get a buyback offer for ~6 months. The service center GM is so terrible in my case that she refused to pay for the rental car that SHE provided for me, and I just sued her in small claims for it.

• Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Just wondering if you had an update on this? After numerous emails and letters to Tesla, emails to my state’s Attorney General and other state bodies that deal with lemons, I finally heard back from Tesla that they’re buying my car back. Hoping it closes soon as they asked me for the ten-day buyout on my car but I’m thrilled that it seems like they’re buying it back. Especially as it’s out of warranty and had yet another major screen issue last week.

Tesla asked for a 10 day payoff on my car in early May. Nothing came of it, so prepare yourself for what could be a long wait.

Is the claim still pending? Curious if you won.

There are no real winners in legal matters or lemon cases. The only real winners are the lawyers.

The automaker has to shell out a bunch of extra $ and deal with the administrative overhead. This isn't a big deal for Tesla, but it's still an outcome automakers try to avoid.

The customer has to ride out a nearly year-long pain fest to get their equity/credit restored to the extent they can then go get another car. The lemon vehicle was already paid for by the customer and any loans on the lemon have to keep being paid since they sit on the borrower's credit report. Simply getting the paperwork in order is half the battle. It can be another few months before the cash moves and the credit is cleaned up to allow the customer to move on.

Tesla asked for a 10 day payoff on my car in early May. Nothing came of it, so prepare yourself for what could be a long wait.
Ugh. I emailed the Service Center Manager yesterday and he told me he hadn't heard anything and would follow-up with me today, so we'll see where it goes.

I'm curious, are you still driving your car while waiting? I am and I'm wondering what impact adding miles on to the car might have in the buyout. I was under the impression that they base it on how many miles were on the car when the issues first arose, so it should be a non-issue.