Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Build quality issues are exaggerated!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's horrible :( I got Multi-coat Red
How do you like your red? We too got our MYLR in red and I am somewhat disappointed. First, I thought it was metallic but it doesn't appear to be. And it doesn't have the same 'mirror-look' like my blue MS. By that I mean when I try to look at a reflection from the red paint, it appears dim and faded why with the same lighting conditions, the blue looks like I have a mirror. Here are two pictures looking at the ceiling LED light strip. Hoping this is just because of the color and lack of metallic base and not a botched paint job. Just had the front end PPF'ed...

Attachments

• PXL_20230622_231231152.jpg
    PXL_20230622_231231152.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 152
  • PXL_20230622_231254479.jpg
    PXL_20230622_231254479.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 119
Well……..I didn’t have PPF on my front bumper after all…..just a faint yellow cast….finally got a sunny day to look at it carefully after picking it up on Wednesday afternoon. Rained Thursday so I didn’t take it out. In the Tesla garage pickup area I noticed it and thought it was ppf. Now what do I do?……gonna go talk to Tesla on Monday.

Just to update, our MYLR had both front mud flaps and PPF by rear doors. And the front mud flaps are the same size as the ones being sold on Amazon. I bought two different brands hoping to get something a little bigger (for more protection) but both were the same size. Only difference was slightly different design, so I returned them.
Unless you weren't the first owner of the car, then chances are you lucked out on one they put them on. While I haven't heard of many saying this, you aren't the only one, so apparently it's a thing on some cars. I didn't have rear ppf or mud flaps on mine. It isn't like Tesla to throw in extras for free,
There have been lots of odd things, like MYLR coming equipped with MYP drive units probably due to lack of the other drives temporarily dumbed down in software. We know this because we have owners posting pics of serial numbers that had the P numbers and not the LR numbers.

In this case the mudflap generosity seems to have been limited and stopped.

Unless you weren't the first owner of the car, then chances are you lucked out on one they put them on. While I haven't heard of many saying this, you aren't the only one, so apparently it's a thing on some cars. I didn't have rear ppf or mud flaps on mine. It isn't like Tesla to throw in extras for free,
There have been lots of odd things, like MYLR coming equipped with MYP drive units probably due to lack of the other drives temporarily dumbed down in software. We know this because we have owners posting pics of serial numbers that had the P numbers and not the LR numbers.

In this case the mudflap generosity seems to have been limited and stopped.
I am not so sure about that - I have seen a lot of MYs and they all have the front mud flap and rear door PPF. I think it had something to do with a lawsuit(?) in Canada about poor design and paint damage. But with regard to your drive unit, that's great!

What color did you get? My black model y had severe paint issues. So much so they offered full buyback. There were multiple other black brand new model ys at the service center with tape all around them pointing out the paint correction areas. I was told by an advisor to only get a white or grey tesla. He said the black paint is horrible.
A friend just picked up a HW4 MYP in black and it’s perfect. Sorry to hear about your experience, however, it’s nice that they offered a buyback. Did they also offer to repaint the whole car?

I would definitely not accept an offer to have the car repainted. You just can't do as good of a job as in the factory, IMHO...
Funny story: Tesla SC attempted to realign my door and damaged it so badly it had to be replaced. The problem was the door was painted by a body shop, and looked much better than the rest of the car. This was in 2020 when the white paint on MY’s was particularly uneven/poor. I agree that generally factory paint is superior, however, I’m not sure that’s true of tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: FMinMI
How do you like your red? We too got our MYLR in red and I am somewhat disappointed. First, I thought it was metallic but it doesn't appear to be. And it doesn't have the same 'mirror-look' like my blue MS. By that I mean when I try to look at a reflection from the red paint, it appears dim and faded why with the same lighting conditions, the blue looks like I have a mirror. Here are two pictures looking at the ceiling LED light strip. Hoping this is just because of the color and lack of metallic base and not a botched paint job. Just had the front end PPF'ed...
Not sure about those details, I really like my Red

A friend just picked up a HW4 MYP in black and it’s perfect. Sorry to hear about your experience, however, it’s nice that they offered a buyback. Did they also offer to repaint the whole car?
The car was in service for over 40 days. They had several failed paint corrections that actually made the paint worse. They used so much rubbing compound that they put massive burnt marks on the car. I also had to get a new windshield because somehow when the car was transferred before delivery, there was a small crack in the windshield from a rock. I think rocks hitting the paint before I received is also what caused the scratches, and then the service center using rags and wiping a dirty car. I had to go back because they put the windshield in wrong the first time. They were supposed to put a new bumper on the car because the paint was so bad. They called me and told me and also told me in person the new bumper installation was complete but when I asked for paperwork confirming a new bumper was put on they said it was able to be paint corrected and it’s the same bumper. This is only a few of the many issues. Them offering a buyback was the least they can do. They want me to surrender the car and sign the paper work there and then wait “4 weeks” for my refund check. I paid cash full.

Reactions: Brown1428
The car was in service for over 40 days. They had several failed paint corrections that actually made the paint worse. They used so much rubbing compound that they put massive burnt marks on the car. I also had to get a new windshield because somehow when the car was transferred before delivery, there was a small crack in the windshield from a rock. I think rocks hitting the paint before I received is also what caused the scratches, and then the service center using rags and wiping a dirty car. I had to go back because they put the windshield in wrong the first time. They were supposed to put a new bumper on the car because the paint was so bad. They called me and told me and also told me in person the new bumper installation was complete but when I asked for paperwork confirming a new bumper was put on they said it was able to be paint corrected and it’s the same bumper. This is only a few of the many issues. Them offering a buyback was the least they can do. They want me to surrender the car and sign the paper work there and then wait “4 weeks” for my refund check. I paid cash full.
Tesla also re-purchased my first Model Y back from me. My issues were different from yours but the lies were not. I’m really sorry you had to deal with this, I know it all too well and it sucks. As for the payment, they handed me a check when I turned in the car.

Tesla also re-purchased my first Model Y back from me. My issues were different from yours but the lies were not. I’m really sorry you had to deal with this, I know it all too well and it sucks. As for the payment, they handed me a check when I turned in the car.
Did they ask you to sign paperwork saying that you are aware that Tesla states there are no issues or defects with the car and that they aren’t liable for any issues with the car? And also says that the vehicle you are returning has no damage other than normal wear and tear?

Did they ask you to sign paperwork saying that you are aware that Tesla states there are no issues or defects with the car and that they aren’t liable for any issues with the car? And also says that the vehicle you are returning has no damage other than normal wear and tear?
I assume that’s so when they re-sell it they can claim no previous damage/accidents

I assume that’s so when they re-sell it they can claim no previous damage/accidents
I understand them saying nothing is wrong with the car so they can try to sale it to some other poor soul but not them saying the refund amount is dependent on there being no damage beyond normal wear and tear. The entire vehicle has paint issues beyond normal wear and tear.

I don’t recall. I do know that my car was not resold. I suspect that Tesla may have destroyed it, because I checked the Carfax a year later and it had no activity beyond the buyback.

I’ve been trying to figure out what to do about the door alignment on my 2023 MYP. The passenger side looks pretty good but the driver side doors are recessed into body molding:

IMG_3101.jpeg

IMG_3102.jpeg

As I said the passenger side looks OK:

IMG_3103.jpeg

IMG_3104.jpeg

I’d be inclined to attempt to align the drivers side into a similar state, however I noticed that my passenger side rear door isn’t sealing when closed:

IMG_3105.jpeg

Sigh. Not sure what to do. Overall I’m enjoying the MYP, but I don’t understand why Tesla still can’t align car doors in the year of our lord 2023. It’s pathetic, frankly.

Last edited:
i didn't have or see any issues when i picked mine up.

car was a little dirty since it rained night before and earlier in the day before i got there.

took it to get ppf and tint right after i picked it up and they showed me all the paint flaws.

there were scuffs and swirls all over. had to do some paint correction before the ppf was applied.

nothing major like others though.
yup - my experience also when i took my MYP in right after purchase to get wrapped.
At least 5 body panel and paint defects were discovered / pointed out

• Informative
Reactions: Dogs_In_A_Pile
Sadly I’ve had issues and the paint fix is worse than the original problem. A few fit and finish issues and two mechanical problems. Those they fixed well. Previously I owned a VW, Volvo and Mercedes. Only the VW had some delivery issues, mainly rattles and trim alignment, so Tesla has been subpar to say the least.

• Informative
Reactions: Dogs_In_A_Pile
Is there somewhere to submit new checklist items?
One thing I missed, was checking every surface of the rear cargo cover. Looks like one of prep work guys sliced through whatever plastic they needed to take off of the cargo cover, and put a nice 1.5" gash in the fabric. It was up against the seats - and I never bothered to pop it out to look at it.
1500 miles later, and Tesla is giving me the had to have been within of 100 miles for any cosmetic issues.

Another thing I noticed, and now I should've bitched and moaned until they fixed it - the passenger side rubber speaker trim in the front A Pillar was all mangled. I was afraid of them making new noises/making it worse - so I just accepted it as is. Two things I didn't see in any checklists.

Reactions: MikeChicago
Picked up my MYHP. Found some issues using the checklist. Missing/thin paint, headlight fitment and and small tear in the trunk well cover on the underside. They also gave me a window sticker for the wrong car. :mad:

A few questions:
  • Does the MYHP have the sound deadening in the front wheel wells? Mine does not.
  • Is correcting the missing paint in the door hinge areas worth the risk of them correcting it?
  • Do I report the issues through the app? I'm still well in the 7 day/100 mile timeframe.
MYHP - 1.jpeg

Picked up my MYHP. Found some issues using the checklist. Missing/thin paint, headlight fitment and and small tear in the trunk well cover on the underside. They also gave me a window sticker for the wrong car. :mad:

A few questions:
  • Does the MYHP have the sound deadening in the front wheel wells? Mine does not.
  • Is correcting the missing paint in the door hinge areas worth the risk of them correcting it?
  • Do I report the issues through the app? I'm still well in the 7 day/100 mile timeframe.
View attachment 957708

Yes - report everything with a service ticket through the app if you've already accepted delivery.
I think that 'missing' paint is in fact normal Tesla standard.
I'm not sure where you're talking about wheel well sound deadening. Are you talking about the exterior of the car, around the tops of the tires - that surrounds the suspension? Like the carpeted/fabric wheel well insert? There should be one in each wheel well. A picture might be helpful to see what you're looking for.