Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building an EV Comparison website (feedback needed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, everyone. We're building a website that is going to provide convenient tools for comparing different EV makes and models. The purpose of it is to help choose an electric vehicle according to your preferences.

I'm looking for EV owners or someone who is planning on buying an EV soon. If you can give a 15 min skype interview sharing your experience in choosing an EV and give some feedback on the beta version of our website that would be super helpful.

We're facing dozens of makes and models these years, so trying to find the perfect match or figure out the best in a class is some kind of challenge. We're trying to solve that.

PS: I'm in GMT+3 \ PDT+10 timezone. Today I'm ready for calls at any time, to talk with fellow EV enthusiasts :) I'm going to share the beta-version of our website in the call. You can have an influence on where this project is heading.

Please ping me with your skype account: here\ at [email protected] \ in skype: AntaresAntares

Reactions: Ormond
You could start with the search and compare features of GSMArena, something similar for EVs.

Thank you for the hint! Going to see what they have there.
We've had cameradecision as one of our references.
Need some quality feedback on that, to decide what features are the most important for [future] EV owners.

compare_.png

Some thoughts:
  • Allow for a large number of side-by-side comparisons like Dpreview.
  • Auto highlight (as an option) in the comparison when there is a car that is above or below average (red or green).
  • Each car gets it's own main page and set of sub pages related to reviews, specifications, news articles, message boards, and other site content.
  • Include site specific guides and comparisons.

Tada! It's the day. I can share the URL publicly, here it is:

EVCompare.io

It's not even partly done. But we've finished with the core database and basic features. Now we're working on the better ways to present data (charts) and gathering facts and timelines on the brands and models. What do you think about the website idea overall? :)

Big thanks for all the valuable feedback that we got. I would super appreciate for more feedback on the current version.

If someone here can answer these question that would be super helpful:
1. What are the major issues people have when they are choosing an EV? (in general, not this website related)
2. The biggest inconveniences in the User Interface that you see?
3. What is the most useful feature that's missing?

Tada! It's the day. I can share the URL publicly, here it is:

EVCompare.io

It's not even partly done. But we've finished with the core database and basic features. Now we're working on the better ways to present data (charts) and gathering facts and timelines on the brands and models. What do you think about the website idea overall? :)

Big thanks for all the valuable feedback that we got. I would super appreciate for more feedback on the current version.

If someone here can answer these question that would be super helpful:
1. What are the major issues people have when they are choosing an EV? (in general, not this website related)
2. The biggest inconveniences in the User Interface that you see?
3. What is the most useful feature that's missing?

Congrats on your new page! Here is some quick feedback:

1. How does a new car fit into their specific use case: Commuters (cost efficiency and min range req.), weekend cars, the fun car (top speed! and acceleration!), the family car (passenger and cargo capacity), the business car (taxi, hauling capacity, towing, deliverer). Key stats to help decide: Price, Range, Passenger and cargo capacity.

2. Too many separate cars for different trims. On your website, Tesla has 29 cars listed. Consider a car main page, then broken up to the various trims. For instance:
  • Tesla Model S main page then the 15 trim options.
  • Tesla Model X main page then the 5 trim options.
  • Tesla Model 3 main page then the 5 trim options.
Add price range: Base vs. Fully Loaded.

3. In the future, consider adding PHEVs to the comparison list. InsideEVs include them as a comparison. Although not fully EV, There are come compelling PHEVs out there for consumers to start on their journey towards EV.

I assume more stats are on the way, but to reiterate, add more details in comparison. Passenger Volume, Luggage Volume, EPA Fuel Economy (MPGe and kWh/100 miles. It is hard to piecemeal information/stats on various websites. Even add number of cup holders. =)

Option to select cars by production status: future (concept), in production (new), not in production (used)

For make selection (and other options) on the side add a "select all" and/or "clear all" option.

Hi, everyone. We're building a website that is going to provide convenient tools for comparing different EV makes and models. The purpose of it is to help choose an electric vehicle according to your preferences.

I would like to compare all EVs that are to be released 2020. I would like to compare range, acceleration, top speed, dimensions, charging rate, charging network support, boot space seats up/seats down, etc.

Is this possible on evcompare.io site?

My main thought is that you need to get more useful info in there. When choosing an EV most people don't really care about 0-60 times, for example. How often does a 1 second lower 0-60 time matter to you, compared to all the other features of a car? What does it matter if you can do 120 MPH or 130 MPH max, when the speed limit is 70?

Stuff you should include:

- Cargo capacity, seats down and seats up
- Android Auto / Carplay support
- Headlight type
- WLTP and EPA range
- One pedal driving support
- How you adjust regen (paddles, gear selector, touchscreen etc.)
- Charge time 10-80% on various chargers
- What chargers are supported
- AC charge speed and phase support
- Battery warranty time/miles
- Rest-of-car warranty
- Average selling price (you can often haggle with dealers)

Most people buying EVs are buying affordable ones. The best selling EV of all time is the Nissan Leaf. Practicality and driving features are what people are interested in.

Also think about what people who don't know much about EVs will want to know. They find all the stuff about charging and the like confusing, so some explainers might help.