Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bump steer during high speed corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi ladies and gents,

Have anyone else noticed the crazy bump steer in the rear during a high speed corner? I’ve noticed that the rear move a lot if I hit a bump on the freeway while turning. Is there a way to fix / minimize that? Or is that a normal thing?

Thanks!

Comes from the damper design, large bump stops built in load up in a corner and when hitting a large dip/bump the outside corner unloads rapidly, at least this is what I think you may be talking about, talk to Redwoods Motorsports about the Ohlins dampers, they have a lot more travel and I noticed that in hard corners you are not against the bump stops and there is still travel left to deal with the bumps/dips.

Reactions: RedRedWyyy
Yes i've noticed this with the stock suspension and thought MPP coil overs would alleviate the issue but it has not . At least with their recommended settings, it may even be more unpredictable now. Going to try and adjust the settings and see but not sure if i need to go softer or stiffer. There's a turn with a dip on my everyday commute i can test on.

Reactions: RedRedWyyy
Comes from the damper design, large bump stops built in load up in a corner and when hitting a large dip/bump the outside corner unloads rapidly, at least this is what I think you may be talking about, talk to Redwoods Motorsports about the Ohlins dampers, they have a lot more travel and I noticed that in hard corners you are not against the bump stops and there is still travel left to deal with the bumps/dips.
I actually ordered it at the end of April. So we’ll see if it’ll help.
Thank you.

Reactions: GreenCoffee
Yes i've noticed this with the stock suspension and thought MPP coil overs would alleviate the issue but it has not . At least with their recommended settings, it may even be more unpredictable now. Going to try and adjust the settings and see but not sure if i need to go softer or stiffer. There's a turn with a dip on my everyday commute i can test on.
Are you lowered or running stock height with the coilovers? I wonder if it gets worse with being lowered.

@rolling green I'd try setting the dampers stiffer and see if that helps. Do you have the Comfort or Sport version of the MPP's? I don't have any firsthand experience with either but I imagine the recommended Comfort settings might be a little soft for hard cornering.

On my Redwood Performance Sport Öhlins DFV, I actually prefer the stiffer settings when really driving fast over rough pavement. I think a firmer suspension is actually better for that, up to a point of course. On my M3P driving and cornering fast over dips and bumps is vastly smoother now than it was stock. I mostly use the firmer half of the adjustment range though, I haven't even bothered to try driving the car hard on the soft settings.

I think (I'm no expert) the ideal coilover setup for handling mid corner bumps would involve:
  • Firm springs, to keep you off the bump stops in steady cornering (not too crazy firm of course)
  • Firm low speed damping, for cornering reactions and stability (again within reason, not too firm for the application)
  • A very distinct, much softer high speed damping oil route so the suspension can move quickly for bumps and sharp dips.
I think most 1 and 2 way adjustable dampers like ours are adjusting low speed damping, not high speed. So setting them firmer can be helpful for this.

I know suspension design and geometry plays a huge role too, i.e. the movement path of the wheels, but I don't think any of us are going to redesign that on our Teslas. :)

Reactions: rolling green