Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got some serious scratching on my brand new Tesla Y rear bumper (see pics below) and am curious if anyone has any experience with repairing this sort of damage? Does one go to the tesla service or another shop? What is the estimated cost for this type of repair? Do you think I'll need to repair the whole back bumper? Tesla novice over here, any advice would be much appreciated:)

Attachments

• IMG_0761.jpeg
    IMG_0761.jpeg
    682.2 KB · Views: 1,403
  • IMG_0762.jpeg
    IMG_0762.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 913
Both the bumper and the diffuser would be pricey to replace. You have two options.

There are people out there that provide spot repair services on bumpers but you will have to do some research to find a good one to make sure they can match the paint. It's super tricky with metallic paint. The plastic trim/diffuser cannot be painted, unless you want to paint the rest of the diffuser, and will need to be replaced. This of course will mean that you will be without your car for a few days.

You can order a pre-painted bumper from Tesla (~$1000) and have it installed at the SC along with a new diffuser (I would guess another $500-600). The replacement should be done within a day so you won't be left without your car for too long.

I had my front bumper replaced with the factory painted bumper not too long ago because I was struck with a piece of tire/debris that left a sizable gouge. It was ~$1100 with the install at the SC. It was completed in a few hours and they gave me Uber credit for the ride to and from the SC. I didn't want to bother with a bodyshop (Tesla is still new to most shops) mis-matching the paint, rental car, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ronjafman
Both the bumper and the diffuser would be pricey to replace. You have two options.

There are people out there that provide spot repair services on bumpers but you will have to do some research to find a good one to make sure they can match the paint. It's super tricky with metallic paint. The plastic trim/diffuser cannot be painted, unless you want to paint the rest of the diffuser, and will need to be replaced. This of course will mean that you will be without your car for a few days.

You can order a pre-painted bumper from Tesla (~$1000) and have it installed at the SC along with a new diffuser (I would guess another $500-600). The replacement should be done within a day so you won't be left without your car for too long.

I had my front bumper replaced with the factory painted bumper not too long ago because I was struck with a piece of tire/debris that left a sizable gouge. It was ~$1100 with the install at the SC. It was completed in a few hours and they gave me Uber credit for the ride to and from the SC. I didn't want to bother with a bodyshop (Tesla is still new to most shops) mis-matching the paint, rental car, etc.
Thanks so much . So after doing some research today, here’s what I got: Tesla repair 2400 with full replacement of bumper (the part, unpainted, is 680) as well as the plastic part below it(400, which is wild) One Tesla approved body shop quoted 1500 for same thing. Another quoted 2200. Yet another 350 for just the paint job. Do you know how tough it is to color match Tesla’s? I’m concerned with doing it at a non-Tesla approved service, seems risky. The color is dark metallic gray.

Thanks so much . So after doing some research today, here’s what I got: Tesla repair 2400 with full replacement of bumper (the part, unpainted, is 680) as well as the plastic part below it(400, which is wild) One Tesla approved body shop quoted 1500 for same thing. Another quoted 2200. Yet another 350 for just the paint job. Do you know how tough it is to color match Tesla’s? I’m concerned with doing it at a non-Tesla approved service, seems risky. The color is dark metallic gray.
Research reviews and go to the best body shop you can. I’ve brought cars to dealer body shops before that couldn’t match the paint for their own brands. It’s just a bumper so it’s not like any crazy expertise is needed to do from a replacement perspective unlike more significant bodywork. Any competent shop could handle it.

Metallic paint is tricky to match because the way metal flakes in the paint lay on surfaces. Simple thing such as air pressure on the paint gun that skew the way it will look in the light. A good paint shop will mix the paint, shoot it against a test pan and take a sun-gun to see if it matches the adjacent panels. Since your damage is concentrated in a corner, a typical shop will try to blend paint of the repaired area into the rest of the bumper. Which isn't a bad thing as long as they get the flip/flop of the metallic in the paint right.

Unless you are coming out of pocket for the whole thing, why not just have your insurance cover the new painted bumper and the diffuser?

It looks like this is just paint scratches and not actual damage to the bumper. If it is, I WHOLEHEARTILY recommend a good mobile auto paint shop. We had similar damage after someone swiped our bumper in a parking lot. Did some research and had a mobile auto paint guy come out. He spent about 2.5 hours and make the bumper look as good as new. Cost was $300.