Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper shape changes or photo shadows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Orange strip is just the turn signal lit. The thing you mention on the white car was just a shadow from light passing through the light lens.
I thought it was the signal at first too, but it's in both shots of that series. Might be coincidence.

OkQ423.jpg

Strangest shadow I've ever seen.

I thought it was the signal at first too, but it's in both shots of that series. Might be coincidence.

OkQ423.jpg

Strangest shadow I've ever seen.
I know, that had me perplexed for a while what that was, but the way the lens is shaped, it actually "bulges" out from the bumper somewhat and the contour follows the upper part of the fascia. This makes the bottom edge of the lens "float" in space over the ducted area. Kind of hard to explain, but it's definitely a shadow.

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK
I know, that had me perplexed for a while what that was, but the way the lens is shaped, it actually "bulges" out from the bumper somewhat and the contour follows the upper part of the fascia. This makes the bottom edge of the lens "float" in space over the ducted area. Kind of hard to explain, but it's definitely a shadow.
haha we'll agree to disagree. In my opinion there's no possible way that's a shadow.

I don't own a glass. What is the shape of the shadow and what point are you making?
I'm trying to provide a visual way for people to experience what is happening in real life because explaining it here is difficult.

The shape of the shadow of the glass will be the shape of the glass. The shape of the shadow on the 3 is the shape of the portion of DRL/fog light cover that is sticking out away from the bumper into the sunlight.

Last edited:
Reactions: houdini
Maybe this will help. If the the DRL/fog light lens cover was opaque instead of transparent, the shadow would look like this. Now compare it to the shadow caused by the overhanging lip of the bumper cover.

View attachment 230317
OkQ423.jpg
Shadows don't go in two different directions.

the lens is also flat so there's that.
If you can find a single other photo with this "shadow" then I'll believe it. Otherwise, this is only on the white RC model with roof racks.

Last edited:
They do when the objects causing the shadows are at opposite angles.
That's not how shadows work. I'm sorry but you have a single light source, the sun.

In addition, if it was a shadow from the solid bumper overhang it would not be light colored, it would be a dark shadow.

Silver-Tesla-Model-3-front-employee-party-5.jpg

I'd have to see it in person to truly be convinced.

Last edited: