Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper shape changes or photo shadows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not how shadows work. I'm sorry but you have a single light source, the sun.

In addition, if it was a shadow from the solid bumper overhang it would not be light colored, it would be a dark shadow.

I'd have to see it in person to truly be convinced.

Here you can clearly see the overhang, and actually see through the clear lens to the surface below.

upload_2017-6-8_7-3-27.png

That's not how shadows work. I'm sorry but you have a single light source, the sun.

In addition, if it was a shadow from the solid bumper overhang it would not be light colored, it would be a dark shadow.

Silver-Tesla-Model-3-front-employee-party-5.jpg

I'd have to see it in person to truly be convinced.

The word "shadow" is obviously confusing people. It's not a shadow cast by an opaque object but rather light passing through the bulging or overhanging if you prefer, light cover. That's why it's simple a different colour - refracted light.

Here you can clearly see the overhang, and actually see through the clear lens to the surface below.

View attachment 230338
I think we are talking about 2 different things.

The left side of the light in your picture shows everything lined up.....light and the fascia. As the everything pans to the right....the light bends itself into the body faster than the fascia (white plastic) does. However, I don't see a shadow coming down from the top.

I do see a shadow coming from the right side as it appears that the brightest light in this picture is on the right side of the car.

I think we are talking about 2 different things.

The left side of the light in your picture shows everything lined up.....light and the fascia. As the everything pans to the right....the light bends itself into the body faster than the fascia (white plastic) does. However, I don't see a shadow coming down from the top.

I do see a shadow coming from the right side as it appears that the brightest light in this picture is on the right side of the car.

The left side of the lens does line up with the upper and lower surfaces. But as the bumper cover pans to the side, the surfaces above and below the lower light lens take different arcs. The surface above stays flush with the lens, whereas the lower surface bends in more sharply and therefore ends up being further back, and no longer aligned with the front surface of the lens. This causes a semi-shadow (due to the semi-translucent plastic) only under the outer edge of the lens which gets progressively smaller toward the inner edge of the lens.

Reminder - this is the RC sightings thread.
Please create a new thread to discuss the minutiae of what is and isn't a shadow, maybe even by drawing red or yellow lines over an image to fully illustrate the point :rolleyes:
Please?
I say we move on to discuss the moon landing conspiracies. Plenty of discussion about shadows there. Who's with me? :D