Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumps in the road to EV bliss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've hijacked a few different threads so it's time to combine them into one of my own.

I am a lucky owner of a black SR+ Model 3, and I love it. But not everything is rosey!

So right now, despite having my Pod Point installed about a month before delivery of my M3, right now I am unable to use it to charge up, because most of the time this happens (it's not an exciting video):

I have logged a support call with Pod Point, sent a follow-up email, and phoned up to chase. So far I have had absolutely no response from them, and we're coming up on a week of not being able to reliably charge my car at home.
IMG_20190819_191646.jpg

The other bump in the road is what seems to be the result of lack of care when transporting, or building Model 3 vehicles.
My M3 has a minor scuff on the front bumper, and more recently I have discovered some quite severe signs of mishandling on the rear door hinges, as if something has been clamped to them!?!
IMG_20190821_094144.jpg

And the rear jack points have gouges to the metal:
IMG_20190821_094330.jpg

So I have a service appointment with Tesla, and I'm sure they'll sort everything out. I just feel that it is frustrating to build such an amazing vehicle, that I love and is a total joy to drive, but be let down by mishandling somewhere along the line and cause damage that's at best an inconvenience to get sorted out.

I know none of you lovely people can help me with this really, I just wanted to get my experience of EV ownership out there.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
The door hinge stuff isn't great but is that jacking point gouge really a big deal? It was probably going to get gouged the first time it got lifted by someone to fit new tyres.
No, probably not a problem, especially as it's aluminium, but the door hinges are steel and I'm worried about corrosion eventually setting in.
I can put primer and touch-up paint on these myself, so ultimately none of these are the end of the world, it's just a bit disappointing.

*Edit* And to be totally honest, comments like this help me get a bit of perspective :)

those door hinges don't look well. :( I wonder if they just took them out of the damaged parts bin and fitted. It does seem very poor and can't see how a SC will resolve this quickly unless they have spare door hinges

Paint work dents can't be fixed easily without a respray

The last thing you want is your M3 to be back with SC for the next few weeks or months :(

those door hinges don't look well. :( I wonder if they just took them out of the damaged parts bin and fitted. It does seem very poor and can't see how a SC will resolve this quickly unless they have spare door hinges

Paint work dents can't be fixed easily without a respray

The last thing you want is your M3 to be back with SC for the next few weeks or months :(
I think the bumper may be able to be polished out, but really not basing this on much knowledge.

I mostly hope they don't try and pin the hinge damage on me, but I'm not sure what they could possibly think I'd have done to cause that....

My Model 3 is with Tesla to get the blips ironed out.

In the meantime they have given me 2015 Model S. It has the following features:
  • Weird smell in general
  • Constant motor whine from somewhere in the frunk area when parked at night
  • Charge port door is reported as always being open, even though it isn't
  • Driver side door handle does not present, constant motor whir and light always on. Have a bit of string so I can get in and out. I can occasionally fiddle with it when locked so that the motor stops but it randomly starts up again.
  • No-longer wants to shift into Drive or Reverse. At all.
  • Probably will look good on the back of a tow truck
Not a great Tesla advert, what a sh*t show.

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000

• Weird smell in general
  • Driver side door handle does not present, constant motor whir and light always on. Have a bit of string so I can get in and out. I can occasionally fiddle with it when locked so that the motor stops but it randomly starts up again.

FWIW I once had a loaner S with the weird smell too (standard filter). But my own X smells as fresh as a daisy - as it ought to with the medical grade HEPA/carbon filters.

Reactions: Roy W.

• Weird smell in general

Marc,
So are you now back home with a broken Model S that will not drive? Were you given an estimate as to when your 3 will be ready?
Hope things improve for you.

Reactions: TestPilot
Marc,
So are you now back home with a broken Model S that will not drive? Were you given an estimate as to when your 3 will be ready?
Hope things improve for you.
It's magically working again at the moment, I had already reset it twice but when I tried a third time with the recovery guy on the phone it worked again afterwards. I'm at work at the moment, but if it happens on my drive at home I'll be screwed.... There's not a chance of towing a car out of my driveway :S

My M3 will apparently be ready at the end of Friday, so fingers crossed.
I'm going to need to know for sure by Friday lunch time because I've parking that needs a registration number for a few days..... So..... knowing my luck.....