Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi! Potential new owner and first EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is amazingly helpful! Thank you !

What made you switch to a used car? Better value for money?

I did a bit of a search on the intel vs Ryzen and whilst clearly Ryzen is better apparently there were some updates which improved things a bit?

Finally, are there any obvious ways of telling from photos if it’s got a heat pump or the refreshed bits? I think I read that the interior deleted the USB ports

Yeah value for money pretty much. It would have been my first brand new car and it seems it just isn't in my DNA or something! Increasingly was looking at what I could get used for the same or less money. Discovering my new delivery would not have parking sensors pushed me over the line. So for less money than the RWD I had on order I picked up a LR dual motor a little over a year old, only 20,000 km and totally mint. No brainer for me!

For external sign of the big refresh you are looking for the black door handles and window trims instead of chrome. You'll see they also have the new interior that ditched the not so loved gloss piano black. But like I say, if you're looking all the way back to the transition period (21 cars built from as early as Nov 20, including last UK market made in US cars), best to carefully check the spec to see what you're getting. If you say to yourself I'm only gonna get a made in China, which isn't a bad idea and doesn't narrow your choices very much, you'll be pretty safe and get all the stuff, except the Ryzen and lithium 12 V battery which come later still in 22. MIC should guarantee heat pump I believe, but like I said it's worth learning to check the spec menu in the car to confirm. You'll see many savvy sellers already include a pic of this screen to help buyers.

Yeah there are downgrades getting this late a car, namely the console USB ports going power only, and dropping passenger seat lumbar support, but for me both of those were not worth loosing all the other stuff and getting an older car - more like they would be a small consolation prize if I had to get an older car! :) We subscribe to premium connectivity and use existing Spotify, Netflix and Disney accounts for in car entertainment needs so never bother with USB data. My last 15+ years of cars had passenger lumbar and my Mrs never touched it, so... Some people get the parts and retrofit USB data capability to the newer cars, so it's a possibility if that matters to you.

Reactions: sparkie1984
Yeah value for money pretty much. It would have been my first brand new car and it seems it just isn't in my DNA or something! Increasingly was looking at what I could get used for the same or less money. Discovering my new delivery would not have parking sensors pushed me over the line. So for less money than the RWD I had on order I picked up a LR dual motor a little over a year old, only 20,000 km and totally mint. No brainer for me!

For external sign of the big refresh you are looking for the black door handles and window trims instead of chrome. You'll see they also have the new interior that ditched the not so loved gloss piano black. But like I say, if you're looking all the way back to the transition period (21 cars built from as early as Nov 20, including last UK market made in US cars), best to carefully check the spec to see what you're getting. If you say to yourself I'm only gonna get a made in China, which isn't a bad idea and doesn't narrow your choices very much, you'll be pretty safe and get all the stuff, except the Ryzen and lithium 12 V battery which come later still in 22. MIC should guarantee heat pump I believe, but like I said it's worth learning to check the spec menu in the car to confirm. You'll see many savvy sellers already include a pic of this screen to help buyers.

Yeah there are downgrades getting this late a car, namely the console USB ports going power only, and dropping passenger seat lumbar support, but for me both of those were not worth loosing all the other stuff and getting an older car - more like they would be a small consolation prize if I had to get an older car! :) We subscribe to premium connectivity and use existing Spotify, Netflix and Disney accounts for in car entertainment needs so never bother with USB data. My last 15+ years of cars had passenger lumbar and my Mrs never touched it, so... Some people get the parts and retrofit USB data capability to the newer cars, so it's a possibility if that matters to you.
Amazing! Thank you. So I think for me ideally it’ll need to be the “changed” model as I like the idea of the changes.

Not fussed about Ryzen massively, be nice to have but will be over budget.

Amazing! Thank you. So I think for me ideally it’ll need to be the “changed” model as I like the idea of the changes.

Not fussed about Ryzen massively, be nice to have but will be over budget.

Yeah if the budget allows it a MIC refresh model is a good bet. Not just the build quality and spec, but also remaining warranty duration.

Then you just have to weight up RWD vs LR if you didn't already decide. RWD gets you newer, less miles, more warranty, or for the same money a LR is older but you have the AWD, speed and range.

Another thing worth thinking about I don't think was mentioned - tow bar. Factory fit only, so if you want/need one make sure you look for that.

Yeah if the budget allows it a MIC refresh model is a good bet. Not just the build quality and spec, but also remaining warranty duration.

Then you just have to weight up RWD vs LR if you didn't already decide. RWD gets you newer, less miles, more warranty, or for the same money a LR is older but you have the AWD, speed and range.

Another thing worth thinking about I don't think was mentioned - tow bar. Factory fit only, so if you want/need one make sure you look for that.
I’d probably be tempted to go LR to be honest.

Good shout on the tow bar but it’s not an issue for us fortunately. Did I see someone mention there were a few other differences between RWD and LR? Audio and some other bits?

if buying from a garage is anything needed to switch the car over to myself?

Someone who knows this better than me can correct this, but basically the original owner has to "give up" their ownership (i.e. use of the APP) and then you can "adopt" it. Maybe the garage will know about this, and have already done the "previous owner gives up" bit.

I expect that you can do everything you need to from My Tesla. My dashboard looks like this (we have chosen to have all family member cars on a single account - sharing freebie miles and so on)
tesla04.gif

There is a factory reset, which will get rid of all the previous owner's data ... personally I would walk away if the garage has not done that already :)

Perhaps worth having a look for Dashcam footage and "Favourites" on Satnav to see if there is previous-owner stuff still there

I’d probably be tempted to go LR to be honest.

Good shout on the tow bar but it’s not an issue for us fortunately. Did I see someone mention there were a few other differences between RWD and LR? Audio and some other bits?

Wont regret it! Yeah I mentioned above - LR has the 'premium interior' but literally the only difference is the audio system and I don't think the standard audio is terrible or anything. And front fog lights. LR also has the possibility to get the acceleration boost upgrade just in case you have 2k burning a hole in your pocket in the future and think it's too slow. :)

Also what is the Tesla warranty coverage? And if buying from a garage is anything needed to switch the car over to myself? Any sort of reset etc?

Not 100% sure on UK warranty. Here in Norway it is 5 years basic car warranty, 8 years battery and motor, 12 years corrosion. I have a feeling UK may be 4 years for the basic car warranty but others can confirm or correct me.

Yeah there's a basic procedure for pairing up your phone as a key, setting up your driver profile and deleting anything from the previous owner/garage. Can't remember exactly but it's all straightforward. You should get the original two key cards that came with the vehicle. Most people will use their phone as the key and carry the card as a backup or not at all. An old school fob is available as an accessory if you prefer that. Very occasionally the car fails to unlock on proximity of the phone, but then you just open the app and open from the app. Never had to even fall back on the key card that I do carry, much less wish I had the fob.

Edit: Ah yeah, like @WannabeOwner said there's all that take ownership stuff that you go through online with your Tesla account. I had the account already set up as I originally had a new order, so was half done.

Last edited:
Very occasionally the car fails to unlock on proximity of the phone

I've never had that (but I've read of it). There seems to be some difference between phone brands. Some say if they have their phone in back pocket it won't unlock the car, other say the car is still unlocked when they are on the far side of the car park ...

Never had to even fall back on the key card

Some folk (you know ... "youngsters"!!) seem happy not to carry the card, as a backup. Nor any credit cards / cash. And then they put their phone sticking 90% out of their back pocket in an easy-to-steal manner ...

• Funny
Reactions: LiamPope
Also what is the Tesla warranty coverage? And if buying from a garage is anything needed to switch the car over to myself? Any sort of reset etc?

Vehicle warranty is 4 years or 50K miles
Battery & drivetrain warranty is 8 years or 120K miles

When you buy, you can send a copy of the bill of sale (or wait for the V5C) to Tesla and they will swap ownership to you. Then you can set up the app for supercharging etc

I've never had that (but I've read of it). There seems to be some difference between phone brands. Some say if they have their phone in back pocket it won't unlock the car, other say the car is still unlocked when they are on the far side of the car park ...

Some folk (you know ... "youngsters"!!) seem happy not to carry the card, as a backup. Nor any credit cards / cash. And then they put their phone sticking 90% out of their back pocket in an easy-to-steal manner ...

Well that's weird - must have jinxed myself! It didn't unlock again today! The few times it has happened before I just unlocked with the app and drove away. Today it wouldn't drive - wanted the key card to drive. Return journey the same. Fixed it by deleting the phone as a key and setting it up again. So always carry the card as a backup!

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Is it possible to get more cards? Just thinking if one was missing or something
Yes (currently out of stock)

https://shop.tesla.com/en_gb/product/key-card

I have both original key cards but also use a third party 'Tesla Ring' which contains exactly the same RFID wiring. The advantage being that once you set it up as a third 'key card' it is permanently available on a finger so no need to carry one of the original cards (it worked every time on a Model 3 without fail but on a Model Y the central place where it needs to touch the pillar is harder to determine).

Custom Smart Tesla Key Ring For Model 3 Y With NFC|Hansshow

Well that's weird - must have jinxed myself! It didn't unlock again today! The few times it has happened before I just unlocked with the app and drove away. Today it wouldn't drive - wanted the key card to drive. Return journey the same. Fixed it by deleting the phone as a key and setting it up again. So always carry the card as a backup!
With an Android phone the NFC lets you also use the phone as a keycard replacement by tapping in the same spots as you would with the card. You don't need the Tesla app open, just need to unlock the phone. It's handy when the bluetooth is not co-operating for some reason or other (like your situation here).

Reactions: LiamPope
watch a few reviews (if anybody has any they’d recommend?)

Bjørn Nyland has some good stuff - but you'll have to hunt his videos as he now does all sorts of other EVs too. There will be some brand/model specific videos when the car was first available, and he will have a "How many banana boxes can you get in it" and a "1,000 km challenge" where he drives it that far - with whatever hassles he has with charging and so on (he's in Norway, so its rare that he has a problem with infrastructure), and then what was the time / wH/mile consumption and so on. Ther ewill be one on "How fast does it charge" and so on. Probably a video in his "Drive it until it runs out in the middle of nowhere and then what do I do" collection (SpoilerAlert he has a massive portable battery in the boot ...)

With an Android phone the NFC lets you also use the phone as a keycard replacement by tapping in the same spots as you would with the card. You don't need the Tesla app open, just need to unlock the phone. It's handy when the bluetooth is not co-operating for some reason or other (like your situation here).

Ah cool I'd heard of people doing that but it never worked for me. I just googled NFC, now turned it on, so will give it a try tomorrow! :)

Then my phone can be a backup for my phone. Amazing.

Going to sit down with the wife over the coming days, watch a few reviews (if anybody has any they’d recommend?
Ev man is good, think he has m3 lr but a lot of generic m3 stuff. R symonds also good, lots of tesla content but can be a bit gushy. Out of spec, inside evs and state of charge all have good content but are stateside so not as relevant. For a really in depth review check out autogefuhl, bit cheesy in places but very detailed... I watch too much youtube ev content :)

13AMP is worth considering - that will add about 7 MPH.
I assume you mean the mobile charger.

A bit of an expansion on this for the OP… it charges at 10A (which is the UK plug continuous rating), meaning around 2.1kw of power being added (if you take into accouy some power for losses in the charging process), which if you are getting around the 250wh/mile (getting 300miles from a charge would put you in that ballpark) is closer to 8 miles added per hour spent charging.

I find it better to think in terms of kWh of energy when charging rather than miles added as it avoids unknown variables.

(It also was not helpful back in the ICE days when the answer to the question “how much fuel did you put in?” Was given in £… made it hard to work out the fuel consumption !)