Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bunch of Motors for Semi

How many drive units for a Semi will Tesla reveal?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.1%

Votes: 9 18.8%

Votes: 10 20.8%

Votes: 8 16.7%

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • 7+

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly? If they do reveal this for the Semi, perhaps the first other Q model will be the pickup or van. For S and X, maybe early 2019, maybe 2020, maybe 2021? I guess it depends how fast they can engineer it and alter the production line / build a new one, and whether that seems like the best use of their capital.

They're still somewhat capital constrained; I think this will be alleviated sometime in 2018 as Model 3 deliveries ramp up. So I'm thinking we won't see any such change before 2019 -- but it could be later. It may be simultaneous with the switch to permanent magnet motors and around the same time as the change to 21-70 cells. Maybe with a minor interior redesign. I actually think we won't see much of an interior redesign on the S -- maybe the cupholders, seatback pockets, grab handles and so forth that people have been complaining about the lack of -- but remember how little the Model T design changed from year to year.
That's a good point. Not sure how much developmental cost would go into this for S/X, but I'd suspect that they've already explored the feasibility of it. So it need not be a priority for many reasons.

Reactions: neroden