Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jay Leno video on the Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
It looks like a good video on the Tesla Semi by Jay Leno:

Some interesting tidbits:
  • the guy said the GVW was 60-70k when they hooked up a trailer with another Tesla Semi on it. So, if the trailer is ~12k, the Semi weighs ~24-29k.
  • While the rotors are carbon wrapped like the Plaid, the inverters are from the Cybertruck.
  • They've made 60-70 so far.
  • 800-1000v battery pack, like the Cybertruck.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • the guy said the GVW was 60-70k when they hooked up a trailer with another Tesla Semi on it. So, if the trailer is ~12k, the Semi weighs ~24-29k.
  • While the rotors are carbon wrapped like the Plaid, the inverters are from the Cybertruck.

Also would like to add to your interesting tidbits:

Dan Priestly says in the video @ 32:27 "we brought over a brake system that is actually commonly used in Europe....brake-by-wire..still pnuematically actuated but its electrically commanded in its primary mode so it gives us much better fidelity and control over the braking of the vehicle"

Maybe I have missed this in the past but it's the first time I've seen the actual HP stated 1,500. All others were just estimates and from what I remember it wasn't that close to what Dan stated 1,500 HP( Yeah I like typing/saying that number!) Too bad he didn't give the torque figure(Yeah I know we can GUESS at it from the HP). About 600 HP is tops for an American diesel tractor doing regular type service. In Europe I think its around 750-770 HP.

So Tesla Semi has more than double the HP than its American diesel competitors and double to just under double to its European diesel competitors.

It's interesting that Franz still seems to think "naturally aspirated" means any ICE engine. (I think this time he actually said "normally aspirated"). I heard him make that mistake back in 2009. Odd that no one has ever corrected him.

The backup cam is only showing the back of the tractor. To be really useful, a driver would need to see the back of the trailer too.

Maybe one day Tesla will figure out a way to attach backup cams to a trailer and allow the video to be seen on the screens.

Reactions: zoomer0056
It looks like a good video on the Tesal Semi by Jay Leno:

Some more tidbits:
  • Priestly mentioned that the carbon wrapped rotor started with the Semi. So you could say Plaid is a byproduct of Semi.
  • Electrical system 12 and 24V, not yet 48 as seems to be the end goal for Semi.
  • Did you notice the spare front axle in the background? Double wishbone.
Speulation: The stator windings for Semi and CT might be different than Plaid to match the 800-1000v battery pack. So not a 100% carry over between the three platforms.

Reactions: TSemi
Priestly mentioned that the carbon wrapped rotor started with the Semi. So you could say Plaid is a byproduct of Semi.

I totally missed/didn't catch that part about it being from "initially the thoughts on Semi".

Electrical system 12 and 24V, not yet 48 as seems to be the end goal for Semi.

The reason for the current 12&24V electrical system is a supplier issue. Elon Musk mentioned this and also here:

"Complete 48V vehicle architecture. No suppliers are ready for this. Tesla has to design all parts from scratch. 75% less copper use. Significant weight saving. Less heat waste, meaning even more overall vehicle efficiency."
Link: 20 News Items From Tesla Investor Day - CleanTechnica

Did you notice the spare front axle in the background? Double wishbone.

Guess I overlooked/missed that too. Will go back and review the video again. Thanks!

Reactions: Olle and zoomer0056
I never knew Jay Leno had a CDL

Just guessing Jay got a Non-CDL before doing this show. I'm sure Tesla contacted Jay about doing this show(driving the Semi) well in advanced for him to get the proper licensing. Not sure if there is a wait either for getting a Non-CDL but even then he probably got fast-tracked in and out.

Just guessing Jay got a Non-CDL before doing this show.
What is a Non-CDL? A standard driver's license?

Maybe because there was a CDL driver in the cab with him, they could consider it a training drive...

I'm sure Tesla contacted Jay about doing this show(driving the Semi) well in advanced for him to get the proper licensing. Not sure if there is a wait either for getting a Non-CDL but even then he probably got fast-tracked in and out.
And obviously they had some arrangements for this, as they had a police car blocking traffic for the planned U-turn.

Reactions: GSP
What is a Non-CDL?

Not up on the California Non-CDL I just just did a quick search to see if they have one. In Texas a Non-CDL(Class A) allows you to drive a Class 8 Tractor/with trailer for non commercial use, such as some of the RV's you see being pulled by a Class 8 tractor. Weight limits determine what what Class of licenses you need. Knew a person that had a F-250 w/GVWR of 10K(most are now) and with his 5th wheel RV travel trailer Keystone Montana he was 400 lbs over the weight limit (26,400) lbs for GCVWR so he needed a Class A.

If Jay Leno didn't already have a Non-CDL(whatever class it is in CA.) he could drive the Tesla Semi/w trailer because he wasn't getting paid for it as a commercial driver would.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 4.33.49 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks for sharing, I had heard about the interview but had not seen it.

Lots of interesting info. I had to admire the way they dodged most of the really important info gracefully. There is more than what has been shared before so it's still containing helpful tidbits.

Interesting about the 48V, I kind of assumed that it was dropped as I had not heard a lot of buzz around the 48V system that was supposed to be the LV system in the Cybertruck. I figured they would have been hyping it up if it was going to production. It is incredibly hard to break away from the 12/24V infrastructure that already exists because the tooling costs make it not worth developing the 48V items.

For the backup camera, its mostly just helpful to make sure you are lined up to attach to the trailer. It would be helpful to be able to see behind the trailer just to ensure there is no hidden object, but you learn how to back up pretty quickly. It's something people always ask to automate, and it's like by the time you have a CDL you are pretty good at it and it's really not something you wish you had. Sometimes things get a bit hairy so it would be nice then, but I think a backup camera would get used a lot less than an average person suspects.

If the battery is in the 800-1000V range, do you think it's like 850 nominal? Always seemed weird to me to want to go to 1000V nominal as in most cases it would require you to make your electronics capable of a higher voltage level which would be expensive and much less established just to be a hair over the threshold. Current generation electronics for CEVs have a 1250V max voltage and you want some buffer. If you go over the threshold, might as well go to 1500V :) I suppose its good marketing to use max voltage versus the common nominal voltage so it sounds cooler!

Reactions: Olle and zoomer0056