Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the semi wind shield rock proof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the semi press releases I thought Tesla claimed the windshield was going to be rock proof. But now that it’s here I can’t find anything to support that in any where. Things do change during production e.g. the CT was suppose to kneel and have a telescoping tailgate.

Anybody know anything about this?

During the semi press releases I thought Tesla claimed the windshield was going to be rock proof. But now that it’s here I can’t find anything to support that in any where. Things do change during production e.g. the CT was suppose to kneel and have a telescoping tailgate.

Anybody know anything about this?
All glass can be cracked with a rock. There's no such thing as "rock proof" glass...even BR level 5 glass can and will crack with a rock thrown at it at high speeds . On the CT there is armored glass, which is tougher than normal automotive glass, but a high speed rock on the interstate will still crack it. I can't find anything saying the Semi will have the same glass as the CT.

All glass can be cracked with a rock. There's no such thing as "rock proof" glass...even BR level 5 glass can and will crack with a rock thrown at it at high speeds . On the CT there is armored glass, which is tougher than normal automotive glass, but a high speed rock on the interstate will still crack it. I can't find anything saying the Semi will have the same glass as the CT.
The special "Armor Glass" on Tesla's Semi truck is a breakthrough that you can't... ummm, break through. During Elon Musk's Tesla Semi announcement, he noted that the Semi's glass will be completely impact-resistant. This is critical as Semi trucks suffer from broken windshields about once every year. This is supposedly Tesla Glass.

Nowhere did anyone say anything about the CT windshield.

• Disagree
Reactions: uscbucsfan
The special "Armor Glass" on Tesla's Semi truck is a breakthrough that you can't... ummm, break through. During Elon Musk's Tesla Semi announcement, he noted that the Semi's glass will be completely impact-resistant. This is critical as Semi trucks suffer from broken windshields about once every year. This is supposedly Tesla Glass.

Nowhere did anyone say anything about the CT windshield.
He had a steel ball thrown at the CT glass thinking it wouldn't break. The CT has Tesla's armored glass.

It's not rock proof...no glass is.

They did during the original debut event that it was going to be extra hardened in some way, but I can't remember what e
The CT has Tesla's armored glass.
Citation needed.
They did say the Semi has some kind of extra hardened glass. And yes, it's probably somewhat better, but not to Musk's exaggerated claims of perfection and unbreakable. I don't think I've ever seen a suggestion before that it is the same thing as the Cybertruck windows.

They did during the original debut event that it was going to be extra hardened in some way, but I can't remember what e
Citation needed.
They did say the Semi has some kind of extra hardened glass. And yes, it's probably somewhat better, but not to Musk's exaggerated claims of perfection and unbreakable. I don't think I've ever seen a suggestion before that it is the same thing as the Cybertruck windows.

ARMOR GLASS CAN RESIST THE IMPACT OF A BASEBALL AT 70 MPH OR CLASS 4 HAIL. ACOUSTIC GLASS HELPS MAKE THE CABIN AS QUIET AS OUTER SPACE

The "shatter proof" thing was a statement about it (which turned out to be not very reliable). I'm still waiting on the citation for it being the exact same thing as the Semi windshield.
Elon has said maybe 20 times that the Cybertruck has Tesla Armor Glass, it's listed on Tesla.com.

Not sure what you're looking for. You asked for a citation and gave you a link that the CT has Armor Glass (which is the name Tesla coined for the more resistant, shatter proof glass).

You asked for a citation and gave you a link that the CT has Armor Glass (which is the name Tesla coined for the more resistant, shatter proof glass).
But is "Tesla Armor Glass" the same thing as "Tesla Semi Windshield"? (If I recall correctly, they showed the Semi windshield taking a hit from a trailer hitch ball, but I don't know at what speed.)

I know Lars mentioned that the glass is laminated and at least one of the layers is essentially Gorilla Glass.

God Not sure how we got to the CT's glass fiasco. My question was about the Semi. I've not seen anything verifying that the semi's has the promised rock proof windshield Elon referenced.

So I'll ask again. Has anyone seen reference to rock protection, hardened Tesla glass on the Semi? Or is it like the CT's kneeling rear and telescoping tail gate... lost in the final production version.

I think it's pretty obvious the CT doesn't have it.

God Not sure how we got to the CT's glass fiasco. My question was about the Semi. I've not seen anything verifying that the semi's has the promised rock proof windshield Elon referenced.

So I'll ask again. Has anyone seen reference to rock protection, hardened Tesla glass on the Semi? Or is it like the CT's kneeling rear and telescoping tail gate... lost in the final production version.

I think it's pretty obvious the CT doesn't have it.
That's how we got here.

Elon said the Semi would have Tesla Armor Glass, that's the glass they ended up using the in the CT. Unless they are going to have 2 different hardness levels for it, it's more than likely the same glass in the CT.

That glass is not rock proof...no glass is....

They are related because they have the same name.

Somehow, I'm not seeing any links to Semi information from Tesla.

This is what they posted and referenced the Semi using "Telsa Armor Glass", it's what they used on the Cybertruck. Elon explained it on stage, on JRE, etc. His quote on JRE was "it's essentially rock proof and can stop a 70 mph baseball...maybe not a steel ball".

Regardless of what Elon has said, both are using tougher glass, but neither are rock proof.

But wait that was the whole point on the semi! Saving thousands of $ annually by not needing to replace rock damaged windshields. This actually was a big deal to the trucking community.

As to the CT's failure. Clearly Elon thought it was rock proof. Why else would he have Franz throw steel balls at it?

At least we know it's baseball proof!

But wait that was the whole point on the semi! Saving thousands of $ annually by not needing to replace rock damaged windshields. This actually was a big deal to the trucking community.

As to the CT's failure. Clearly Elon thought it was rock proof. Why else would he have Franz throw steel balls at it?

At least we know it's baseball proof!
It sounds like you're just trolling. It's not nuke proof or rock proof, but it is stronger and less likely to crack or break than normal automotive glass.

Same with the CT. We've seen it hold up to people trying to break in, still cracked, but didn't let them in.

Elon loves to overly hype things up, but the truth, in this instances, is still better than normal.