Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burlington to Ellensburg on a single charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just planning a road trip in July and the biggest stretch between SCs seem to be Burlington to Ellensburg for us. We will have a partially loaded 85D. Using the EV trip planner, we could be pushing our limit if we drive too fast (1vs 1.2).
Anyone made that run or has some thoughts. Thx

Just planning a road trip in July and the biggest stretch between SCs seem to be Burlington to Ellensburg for us. We will have a partially loaded 85D. Using the EV trip planner, we could be pushing our limit if we drive too fast (1vs 1.2).
Anyone made that run or has some thoughts. Thx

I have made the trip from Seattle to Ellensburg many times. It usually takes between 32-39 kWHr. The one time I drove from Burlington to Seattle took 25 kwHr.

We drive a fully loaded 60 (4 people and lots of stuff). Keep in mind Ellensburg is 1000 feet higher than Seattle. You don't get as much downhill after the pass as you might expect. We are about 5 miles off the freeway.

I have most of my road trips posted at Tessa the Tesla

Haven't made that particular drive, but I would think that 1.2 on I-90 would work out to about 85mph+ though the 70mph stretches. Based on many years of summertime drives over the pass, that's not likely to happen. Depending on when you're driving it there are likely to be many stretches along that drive with either slowing for traffic, temporary speed restrictions for construction, or variable speed zones that are going to keep you from anywhere near that speed.

Haven't made that particular drive, but I would think that 1.2 on I-90 would work out to about 85mph+ though the 70mph stretches. Based on many years of summertime drives over the pass, that's not likely to happen. Depending on when you're driving it there are likely to be many stretches along that drive with either slowing for traffic, temporary speed restrictions for construction, or variable speed zones that are going to keep you from anywhere near that speed.
So are you saying it would be no problem or to stop and get more juice somewhere because of those likely slow downs? From what I gather, slower is better for maximizing range. Just want to make sure that's actually what you're saying.

Not an owner yet but trying to fully prepare myself for this change in thinking and having to plan a bit more when setting out on a trip like this.

Thanks!

Memorial weekend I drove from Ellensburg to Everett & back to Kirkland (165 mi) with our 70D. While not exactly the same distance or route, it's pretty darn close. I expected to have about a 10% buffer after charging to 90%. However, traffic was much slower due to the holiday and we ended up with about 30% left. I set the cruise on 72 mph and kept it pretty much there except to pass or for congestion. So yes, that trip should be easy with an 85. There is significant construction on I-90 (down to one lane at times) and speeds are much lower, resulting in better mileage. Driving above 75 mph in these sections is suicidal, although not so much so in the non-construction areas. Speeds tend to be around 70-75 mph in these safer sections, so not like high-intensity driving in California.

• Informative
Reactions: ibdb and taldric
Download PlugShare for your phone. It is an invaluable tool to help you know where "extra" charging locations are. I've only had to actually use it once, but it gives peace of mind. A quick glance at it and I see quite a few extra points you could stop if your power budget looks to be in trouble. BTW - worries like this is why I bought a Chademo adapter for my Model S, so I could use those locations as well.

So I don't think you will have any trouble. I would be comfortable making the drive in my 85D.