Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burn or leaky cell on solar roof tile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone!

I was cleaning my solar tiles yesterday and noticed this strange pattern on one of the tiles. At first I thought it was bird droppings, but when I looked closer, I realized it was under the glass.

Has anyone seen this before? I don't know what it is and if it means the tile is degraded or bad.
20210228_160257.jpg
20210228_160302.jpg
20210228_160306.jpg

That definitely looks like a problem for that tile to me. You mentioned in your other thread:

The solar installation is complete, there are still some minor roof items that need to be cleaned up.

If the install crew is still engaged, I'd contact your install advisor and get Tesla to fix it before they complete the project. I had one broken tile (not PV though - just a glass one) that Tesla fixed when they came back to my house a few weeks after the main install to clean up odds and ends damaged during the project.

Can you get close enough to see if there is a hole there like you would get from a rock on a windshield?

I got very close to take the pictures. I touched that spot to see if it was on the surface. It is not cracked or broken on the top, it might have been damaged in the bottom, but I didn't pull the panel to look underneath.
20210205_132139.jpg

This is what they look like when they shatter, had at least 2 of these on my install.

That definitely looks like a problem for that tile to me. You mentioned in your other thread:

If the install crew is still engaged, I'd contact your install advisor and get Tesla to fix it before they complete the project. I had one broken tile (not PV though - just a glass one) that Tesla fixed when they came back to my house a few weeks after the main install to clean up odds and ends damaged during the project.

Thanks trautmane2 !

I thought it was weird, I'll add it to the list. The install crew is still engaged. They got some of the Firestone underlay on a few of the solar tiles, and they didn't clean it off when I pointed it out, so now it is permanently bonded to them, they tried their normal products for removing it and it wasn't coming off, so they need to replace those solar tiles too. I'll ask them to bring an extra to replace this one with.

I got very close to take the pictures. I touched that spot to see if it was on the surface. It is not cracked or broken on the top, it might have been damaged in the bottom, but I didn't pull the panel to look underneath.
I looks like some sort of chemical intrusion. Definitely ask for a new one.

I was just wondering if there was a opening that allow moisture into the tile. When they dropped some of mine it not only shattered but fragmented on to the ground. Got to play 1000 piece pickup. :)

I was just wondering if there was a opening that allow moisture into the tile. When they dropped some of mine it not only shattered but fragmented on to the ground. Got to play 1000 piece pickup. :)

Yup, I already asked for a new tile.

I am still picking up pieces of glass, there was at least 1 that shattered on my roof, and the pieces ran under the others, so when it rains or the wind blows hard enough more get knocked out of the roof onto the ground...

Prediction for @SoCalSolarRoof's post tomorrow: "drone crashed, now have 2 broken tiles, sending up another drone tomorrow" :D
Haha I almost crashed it when taking some shots, I thought I was above my trees, but I had taken off from a different spot than usual so my altitude reading was off by over 5 feet and I backed the drone into the tree. I somehow got it out of the branches before it hit the ground and it was able to recover but it was close! Probably stopped 4ft or so from the ground! Good thing it's raining today or you might have been right!