Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy 2016 X90D or Lease 2020 Long Range Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the market for a Model X and wanted to hear from others who have experienced a similar scenario. I am looking at a 2016 X with 30k miles for $62,500. Vehicle comes with 4 year 50k mile limited warranty from Tesla. Has anyone had experience with this warranty? Will it cover any issues with the falcon doors, battery, charging, etc.?

My other option is to lease a 2020 long range model X for 36 months but that will end up costing me about $53,500 over the 3 years. Additionally, I drive about 8k miles per year and will end up below the 30k miles for the life of the lease.

My commute is mostly local but I need the 6 seater when traveling with my family. The range on the 2020 is 328 while the 2016 is 250. Not sure that range difference will impact my longer trips but I could be wrong. LA to San Diego 2-3 time per year. Rest of commute is local.

How is the reliability of the Model X?
How good is the 4 year 50k mile limited warranty from Tesla?
If I purchase preowned can I add an ESA?
What will the 2016 X be worth 3-5 years from now?

Can any upgrades be made to a lease vehicle? Chrome delete, wheels, tint, etc?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Go used. Warranty will cover everything. If you never drive farther than that 120 mile trip to San Diego, or even twice that far, the range is irrelevant. You'll still have much of the value left after four years (much less three).Make sure to get an AP2 (post October 2016 X).

Reactions: TD85
I agree with Krash, your driving habits wouldn't require a larger battery and range. The used warranty covers all the items you mentioned. Earlier built cars seem to be a bit less reliable, so having the warranty really gives a peace of mind, although it's still PITA if things go wrong and have things fixed by Tesla.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
The range on the 2020 is 328 while the 2016 is 250 (1). Not sure that range difference will impact my longer trips but I could be wrong. LA to San Diego 2-3 time per year. Rest of commute is local.

How is the reliability of the Model X?
How good is the 4 year 50k mile limited warranty from Tesla (2)?
If I purchase preowned can I add an ESA (3)?
What will the 2016 X be worth 3-5 years from now?

Can any upgrades be made to a lease vehicle? Chrome delete, wheels, tint, etc (4)?

Any advice is much appreciated.

1) The 2016 will NOT have 250 miles of indicated range, let alone actual (you'll see when you take possession of the vehicle, expect more like 225) . Highway range is calculated at 362 Wh/mi, but that's in a perfect scientific scenario (temp, wheels, elevation, etc.)

2) Warranty is excellent, just like buying brand new. Be prepared to walk away from the deal if there are any cosmetic blemishes that you can't deal with

3) Don't worry about an ESA, you have 4.5 years to purchase it

4) Leased vehicles have to be returned in the same condition as you receive it. Tint has been known to be something that they don't really care about (unless you do something crazy like 5% all the way around)

Reactions: TD85
Thank you guys for your comments, please keep them coming. They are very helpful with my search. If you guys know of a Pearl White 6 Seater with AP2 for sale please do not hesitate to forward the information. Thank you

One more question. Will there be a big difference between a 2016 75D and 90D in terms range? I expect some battery degradation for a used vehicle but I am finding a lot more availability of AP2 vehicles being 75D.
Mostly yes. 75D and 90D means 75kwh battery and 90kwh battery. The bigger the battery, the bigger the difference in range. However, since you mentioned degradation, it's possible that some of the 75D were software locked to 60D and Tesla unlocked the extra capacity after the car got into the used program. You might see a little less degradation on those cars, but I'm not exactly sure by how much.

I have basically the car you're talking about. My full charge miles is about 223. You might get free unlimited supercharging with a used one as well. Mine has it and I'm pretty sure it's transferable.

I agree with the above that range will not be a problem for you. 97% of my charging is in my garage.

My car had some teething issues when it was new but I haven't had it in for any repair for over 2-1/2 years.

I think about getting a new X sometimes but I'm very ambivalent. Why mess with success.

Here's a convoluted piece of info: I didn't order Auto Pilot when I bought the car. What I would have gotten was Enhanced Auto Pilot. Later, they offered Auto Pilot for $2000 or $3000. I jumped on it but what I got was Basic Auto Pilot. It does lane keeping and Traffic Aware Cruise Control. No lane change with signals, No summon, No navigate on Auto Pilot. I'm pretty sure this is what you get with a New Model X unless you also get Full Self Driving. There's a good chance a use one will have Enhanced Auto Pilot.

Good Luck!

I like owning over leasing, you control what you can do with the vehilce not them. I also like the used warranty Tesla offers, but I purchased a really low mileage 2019 from a private party and didn't have to pay sales tax here in Arizona. So far with almost 10,000 miles no repairs needed.

Reactions: IdaX
4) Leased vehicles have to be returned in the same condition as you receive it. Tint has been known to be something that they don't really care about (unless you do something crazy like 5% all the way around)

Not sure if they enforce this one. There was some serious cosmetic issues (scratches, rims refinished the wrong color, holes in seats) in which Tesla would not cover under warranty. I doubt they are charging to fix the issue then turning around and selling the car without fixing said issues (that would be pretty lame).

Not sure if they enforce this one. There was some serious cosmetic issues (scratches, rims refinished the wrong color, holes in seats) in which Tesla would not cover under warranty. I doubt they are charging to fix the issue then turning around and selling the car without fixing said issues (that would be pretty lame).
I'm more than willing to bet that they are doing just that. Think about free supercharging being taken away from vehicles that originally had it for the life of the vehicle, or even the premium connectivity. There's a thin line with Tesla and what seems to be ethical business practices as it relates to used vehicles.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
In a bit of a predicament. What will have better future resale value Range or AP Hardware? Which would be better a 75D with AP 2.0 and FSD or a 90D with basic AP 1?
75D with AP 2.0/FSD will have the better value right now, due to the updated technology. The range difference between the 2 vehicles is like 20 miles to begin with. The 90D probably has the same range as the 75 now away (assuming 2016 vs. 2017; degradation).

I just leased a 2020 X over purchasing used or new. My reasoning is that I compare having a Tesla to owning a mobile phone. Technology in the EV space is changing constantly so whatever car you get today will be outdated within a few years, especially when it comes to battery size and range. I do think the S an X are pretty built out as far as features go at this point though. Range is the big factor for me and I would not be surprised to see a 500 mile S and X in 3 years time. At least this was my thought process when determining what direction I was going to take, whether that be right or wrong.

Hank

I just leased a 2020 X over purchasing used or new. My reasoning is that I compare having a Tesla to owning a mobile phone. Technology in the EV space is changing constantly so whatever car you get today will be outdated within a few years, especially when it comes to battery size and range. I do think the S an X are pretty built out as far as features go at this point though. Range is the big factor for me and I would not be surprised to see a 500 mile S and X in 3 years time. At least this was my thought process when determining what direction I was going to take, whether that be right or wrong.

Hank

This is my thought process as well. A lot of it depends on your risk tolerance. I'm fairly conservative. Everybody is guessing what future residuals will be.

IC engines are refined and mature. They have their pros and cons.

EV platforms are not. Battery technology, EV powertrains are all in the adolescent phase. To use a dating analogy, if you're dating a 19 year old, be prepared for the instability that comes with that phase of life. (Don't put a ring on it, lease it)

Would you be willing to give some details about the lease? Such as if you put any money down, if they guarantee the residual, how long you leased for, monthly payment?

I, too, am considering leasing an X over buying. We are in such a rapidly changing phase that I worry about what the value of the car will be in a few years time, and how easy it will be to sell a few year old Model X. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Would you be willing to give some details about the lease? Such as if you put any money down, if they guarantee the residual, how long you leased for, monthly payment?

I, too, am considering leasing an X over buying. We are in such a rapidly changing phase that I worry about what the value of the car will be in a few years time, and how easy it will be to sell a few year old Model X. Thanks for any info you can provide.

see my thread in the main model x forum.

the finance dept changed the terms of the lease after I agreed to them and gave up a sale.

I'm more than willing to bet that they are doing just that. Think about free supercharging being taken away from vehicles that originally had it for the life of the vehicle, or even the premium connectivity. There's a thin line with Tesla and what seems to be ethical business practices as it relates to used vehicles.

Man, I would be disappointed in Tesla if this was true. This means that when they list the used car on their site they know *exactly* whats wrong with it, but hope that some sucker thinks its ok and pays full price. I.e. they only give pictures, but they can be giving so much more information rather than having potential owners roll the dice.