Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy from existing inventory and register in Maine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Laws vary from state to state, so I guess the answer is, it depends. There are no Tesla "Dealers" in Kentucky, so I bought mine in Cincinnati, OH. They gave me a temporary tag from Ohio, and then the documents necessary to title and tag my car came from Tesla California 3 weeks later. In the meantime, I had the temporary registration and tag from Ohio. Don't know if there is a reason they couldn't do this for you. Maybe your car had already been registered somewhere.

Thanks for the reply, but the cars listed in inventory in OH say "This car can only be registered in IN, KY, MI, OH, WV," so it's clear up front that a car acquired in Ohio can be registered in Kentucky. In contrast, I haven't found any delivery state that includes Maine (ME) among the states where registration is permitted like that. You'd think that cars delivered to Boston, just a couple hours from Maine, could be purchased and registered by Maine residents. There's no delivery (to my knowledge) in Maine itself.

I think the state must have a tax reciprocity agreement to allow this type of transaction with the other state. Kentucky has state tax reciprocity agreements with Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Then again, it may just be a Tesla limitation.

I bot a new 2018 Model S in March 2019 and still have it registered in Maine. It's my wife's daily driver. I told Tesla what I wanted and they found the vehicle in a Showroom on Long Island, N.Y. They shipped the vehicle to My. Kisco N.Y. where I picked it up. Tesla paid for a Motel for my wife and I and gave us a dinner allowance. Tesla put a N.Y Transit Plate taped to the inside of the rear window and I drove home to Maine. They knew exactly what documents I needed to register the vehicle in Maine and provided them. The key here is Sales Tax. If you pick up the vehicle in Mass., you have to pay Mass.sales tax and Maine won't give you credit for the Mass. sales tax. N.Y. gives you 21 days to either pay the sales tax or register the vehicle in another State. I went to Town Hall in Cape Elizabeth, where I live, paid the Maine sales tax and registration fee and got a set of plates and registration.

I bot a new 2018 Model S in March 2019 and still have it registered in Maine. It's my wife's daily driver. I told Tesla what I wanted and they found the vehicle in a Showroom on Long Island, N.Y. They shipped the vehicle to My. Kisco N.Y. where I picked it up. Tesla paid for a Motel for my wife and I and gave us a dinner allowance. Tesla put a N.Y Transit Plate taped to the inside of the rear window and I drove home to Maine. They knew exactly what documents I needed to register the vehicle in Maine and provided them. The key here is Sales Tax. If you pick up the vehicle in Mass., you have to pay Mass.sales tax and Maine won't give you credit for the Mass. sales tax. N.Y. gives you 21 days to either pay the sales tax or register the vehicle in another State. I went to Town Hall in Cape Elizabeth, where I live, paid the Maine sales tax and registration fee and got a set of plates and registration.
Thanks a lot for your reply. Actual experience is priceless! Actually, since my original post I've found that existing inventory cars in NJ can be registered in ME (among other states), but knowing it can be handled in NY too is useful to me.

Like Searover6, I picked up my 2018 Model 3 in Mt. Kisko, NY, got transit plates and drove home to Brunswick, Maine to register my car and pay the sales tax. I could not have done that in Massachusetts, unfortunately. Now, it seems like people here are going to New Jersey to pick up their new cars.

Back in 2018, Tesla paid for a rental car to get me to Mt. Kisko. Do they still cover the cost of getting to the pickup point?

When all is said and done, is it preferable to just have the new car delivered to your home in Maine or make the trip to New Jersey?

I pickup up my 2020 S new at the closest Store 90 minutes from my house and in another state, since my state does not allow Tesla to sell here. Tesla either would not or could not deliver my car to my house, but did give me Uber credits to get to the Store (over $150). Luckily, the car was OK for delivery and I drove it home.

I had to get temporary registration and temp tag in the state of the dealer, and then Tesla mailed me what I needed to title and register my car in my state over 3 weeks later. I paid the taxes, title, and registration fees in my state. My state does give credit to taxes paid in another state, if that had been necessary.

I investigated purchasing “inventory” vehicle from SC in DC at end of second quarter because that SC had the optioned vehicle I wanted.

I called and spoke to Service Advisor who said he could locate the vehicle I wanted and have it routed from California to my local SC, and it arrived as promised ten days later, on 6/27/23. It was the end of the quarter so that may have been a factor in his ability to help.

If you text this guy, he will try to help get the vehicle you want routed to your local SC in Maine:

Altaf Khan Service Advisor DC l/Virginia:

+1 (202) 255-7995

If you skip down to SeaRover's reply from a Maine buying experience, I can largely confirm his experience from a purchase two years ago. I also assisted a Maine resident family member , recently, in buying a NJ Tesla which she picked up in NJ.

Why can't you buy it in Maine? There are lots of Tesla's on the road in Maine.

Right now there is no "showroom" or "Gallery" in Maine or NH.. The nearest are in Mass.

But as noted elsewhere in this discussion, a purchase in Mass would entail paying sales tax twice, once in Maine and once in Mass. Also, Mass dealers either cannot or will not give you a temporary tag to allow you to drive the car home. I have purchased several cars in Mass in the pre-Tesla era, which I registered in Maine subsequently. Always a hassle. Never straightforward. In general, the best you can do it get them to deliver the car to your home. (Again, this does not apply to Tesla's)

Tesla could sell lots more cars in Maine and NH, if they acted. Right now, they are passive. It is working out for them, but they are discouraging about half of their potential sales in Maine.
=========================

Also a note on Mt Kiscko: It seems that they are "too busy" to handle Maine customers, so they are pushing those deliveries to NJ.

Again, Tesla could sell a lot more cars if they would address these unnecessary roadblocks.

@UncleMatt , Maine is much like Kentucky. Direct sales by Tesla are prohibited unless the Motor Vehicle Franchise Board determines no independent dealer is available for the market. They will not allow Tesla to sell cars directly, like Apple sells their phones. Get with your state officials and have them allow free markets in Maine so that Tesla can open up a store there!

"Maine Law appears to provide for direct-sales under certain circumstances. State law prevents manufacturers from owning or operating any dealership in any line make, unless the state Motor Vehicle Franchise Board determines there is no independent dealer available in the relevant market area."

Would picking up a car in Connecticut (destined for registration in Maine) be an option now that Tesla has opened a showroom there--on land governed by the Mohegan tribe? Teslarati article

Is there sales tax reciprocity between Connecticut and Maine? In other words, would there be the issue as with Massachusetts of having to pay sales tax twice, or could that be avoided?