Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How easy is it to buy a Model X in CA and register in TX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery date for my wife's MX keeps slipping, so wondering if we can buy in CA and register in TX? For some reason, stock has been non-existent in TX, but there are hundreds in inventory in CA everyday.
Can a Texas resident buy a car in California?

Even if you are a resident of another state and buy it in California, you have to pay California sales tax if you drive it off the lot. However, if you have the car transported and delivered to another state, you can avoid the California sales tax.

Can I buy Tesla in a different state?

If you are picking up your Tesla vehicle in another state, we will be able to register the vehicle for you in your home state in most situations. You may be liable for additional sales tax charges outside of your state's tax rate depending on the pickup location.

Delivery date for my wife's MX keeps slipping, so wondering if we can buy in CA and register in TX? For some reason, stock has been non-existent in TX, but there are hundreds in inventory in CA everyday.

Are you buying 2 separate model X vehicles? You mention you bought a used one already in a thread here mid October:

Ended up getting the used one instead of going new. I don't qualify for the tax credit, and Tesla were offering a lot lower for my trade. It made more financial sense to trade in because of the added tax benefit. Overall, going new would have been almost 20k more.

So, it sounded like you didnt want a new one. Did you order a new one as well and are waiting on it or something?

Are you buying 2 separate model X vehicles? You mention you bought a used one already in a thread here mid October:

So, it sounded like you didnt want a new one. Did you order a new one as well and are waiting on it or something?
I did purchase the used one. Wife's getting a new one. May be my out to getting an F-150 Lightning if we have another X at home that I can drive :)

I've been in a similar position. I'm moving to Florida and want to travel with my MX rather than take delivery in FL. I also don't want to pay sales tax twice.

Here's what I found. FL requires you to own your new purchase for six months before it can be registered in the state without having to pay taxes again. Some states have even shorter requirements.

If I am planning on establishing residency in FL, I have 10 days to register my vehicle with the state. As I am not planning on establishing residency, I don't see why I would need to do any of the above. If I change my mind, then at the 7 month point I'll register and I won't have to pay the tax.

I bought my MX in MA but registered in FL. I only had to pay FL sales tax, not MA. I did this by getting the VIN, getting FL insurance, registering in FL, getting plates, and took the plates to the MA dealer who mounted the plate. That was 5 years ago. Seemed pretty easy to me. Contact DMV in Texas.

Go to the cypress location and ask for MO. He is able to see all the vehicles coming in to the Texas location. When my Wife Karen was looking for her MX, we wanted to ensure we placed an order so to obtain the FSD while it was still active to do so. Mo found a vehicle with similar build of what she was looking for that was actually being delivered to the San Antonio service center. The end of that week, we drove there and brought her new car home. I know that was before they lowered the prices of the MX LR but it may be worth a drive to see if they can help.

Reactions: explosive0