Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are correct and that’s exactly what I did 4 says jnto it. I found a detailer and got an evaluation - they said headliner is a goner but they can try.
I relayed it back to Tesla who said hold off on anything. We will send a truck. We will get back to you. Then nothing for 2 weeks other than I’ll get back to you later today.
Then mobile unit came. Again they wouldn’t touch it and said it needs to be sent back.

While all this was going on I consider detailng anyway but they would have blamed them, and no doubt me as well, on ruining everything.

Make sure when you get the survey from Tesla about your experience that you give them all F's.

Seeing some of these pictures remind me of why I'll never do a tan interior again. This car definitely looks as if it didn't actually go through the CPO process. My used Tesla was SPOTLESS on the interior, but I wouldn't have accepted it if it had anywhere near the amount of blemishes that I see in the photos you provided.

Reactions: Guy V and Galve2000
When I looked into CPO I was uncomfortable with representative pics of a car I was going to have to pay $2k to ship to me.

The CPO rep basically emailed specs and representative pics and asked which one I was putting a down payment on. Asking questions seemed like I was being unreasonable.
I ended up buying my higher mileage P85 from a Ford dealer and found one of the dual chargers failed, which I suspect they knew, but I was able to drive the car, it was spotless and I saved enough to pay for repairs myself.

After seeing this I might still considering CPO next time but limit it to cars I can go see even if it is a 5hour drive.
My limited interactions with the Eden Prairie service center have been great, Chicago is closer but is Chicago............I think the service centers need to be judged individually and ondepindepe of the company.

Reactions: wesley888
HO. LEE. SHEET.

This is pathetic. Tesla REALLY needs to solve these random horrendous customer service situations. The Tesla store you bought this from should have simply said, "We are so sorry. We made a mistake. We are coming to pick it up with a P100D loaner for you. We will fix all the issues and detail it to better-than-new condition or we will take the car back and give you your money back."

It's sad because Tesla turned a brand advocate into a detractor, rightfully so. Pathetic. I hope a few of the Tesla blogs pick this up and someone in Fremont who actually cares sees this.

Have you used the "Escalate to an Executive" path in the Tesla app or through the My Tesla Account webpage?

Tesla now lets owners escalate issues directly to executives in order to improve communications
From my own experience, it's just a gimmick.

Just like they always said their cars going through vigorous final QC prior to delivery.
When we went to pick up our CPO last November at the Buena Park SC, the car was full of rock chips in the front and we told them we'd walk away if they don't fix it...Yes, their usual response was it's an used car, blah blah blah...In the end, they did fix it by us calling them to set up the appointment and so on.

Anyhow, as I stated elsewhere, this is our FIRST Tesla and will be our LAST.

Are you referring to Lee?
I had some pretty good experiences with him and other staff during my first 5 months of (new vehicle) ownership, during which I had myriad problems/replacements.

That changed as soon as I said "lemon law." After that point, I've been mostly ignored by everyone at the service center.
Yes, he is very nice and had helped me in many ways. I haven’t had your experience (other than the myriad of replacements) and have a hard time believing he would personally do that, but sorry to hear that. Did you talk to the regional maager about your concerns? Things have happened that I wish didn’t happen, but that is very standard in this industry and they do their best to ensure I am as happy as possible.

In reality it is Tesla quality that needs to step up the game. Service centers are going to be overwhelmed at this rate due to the continued quality issues. I feel for them because it is an endless battle that will only get worse if things don’t change.

Last edited:
That headliner is pretty gross. I would think they'd be able to do something with it. On the first pic, that little bit of cloth that is sticking out will tuck back under the black seal though, fwiw (they should have done that, obviously).

To OP's original point, most of us would not buy a used vehicle sight-unseen. Sounds like that's a pretty good philosophy, sorry it had to be validated in this fashion.

Sorry to hear this. That car needs more than detailing in my opinion, headliner replacement is in order. Unfortunately they have to remove the front window to do that.

Unfortunate that the service manager isn’t very nice. The manager here in San Diego is incredibly nice and wouldn’t blink an eye at helping you out. He is by far the nicest service manager I have ever dealt with. This and the fact there is no dealer to go through are the primary reasons I have stayed with Tesla, definitely not for the build quality.

UNTRUE! They CAN remove and replace a headliner on an MS via the rear hatch. It takes several techs at the same time to do it, but it IS doable!

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
In regard to the condition of your CPO, it looks consistent with some uncleaned loaners I've received. I felt gross driving those cars for 1-2 days, let alone having to live with it. No joke, one time there was a cherry pit in the cupholder! :eek:

Based on how filthy the car was, it is likely that the car was used as a service loaner and I bet this results in cars being completely beaten up and they they have to scramble to refurbish all the damage. They will continue to have these problems as long as they use their CPO cars as loaners as those are will end up being abused.

UNTRUE! They CAN remove and replace a headliner on an MS via the rear hatch. It takes several techs at the same time to do it, but it IS doable!
Ok, well as of less than a year ago it was true at my local service center. Given the service centers often have to figure this stuff out on their own, maybe they didn’t figure it out yet or the protocol has changed.

As an aside, it also pisses me off that someone trashed this car that much to begin with. Some people just have no respect for anything, sad.

The only logical explanation is that this car was used as a service loaner and the car got crapped on by many people who trashed the car. I agree, it disgusts me when people have no respect for other people's property. I take care of my car like it was my baby and when I get a service loaner, I take even better care of that car because it is not mine.

I wish they would stop trashing their CPO cars as service loaners.

Based on how filthy the car was, it is likely that the car was used as a service loaner and I bet this results in cars being completely beaten up and they they have to scramble to refurbish all the damage. They will continue to have these problems as long as they use their CPO cars as loaners as those are will end up being abused.
I currently have a long term loaner for several months and take good care of it thinking about the CPO buyer down the road.
I heard a story about a brand new S loaner with less than 100 miles on it coming back for the service center completely trashed with items that can not be described on this site shoved in the seats.