Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, they don't provide service/repair history, so you don't know what work has been done on the car.

However, given Tesla's "swap it" approach, it is less the ICE situation of "has this engine/ transmission had problems" and more "does this have a newer version of the DU/ pack/ MCU".

(I've never recieved service records for used car purchases before. What is anyone looking for with that information in a Tesla? )

I agree, they only care about new sales numbers, as the company's only goal is to publish better sales numbers keep the stock stable.

Just because Tesla owns the local showrooms/ service centers/ galleries does not mean the local people's actions align with corporate expectations and standards. If the manager is failing at that location, perhaps they need assistance, training, or replaced.

S/X production is close to maxed out, so there is no way to boost those sales numbers. The changeable numbers people care about are the 3 production ramp, and those buyers already exist (multiple levels deep).

My CPO was delivered last Friday. A 2014 Model S with 32K miles. It looked like a new car. Drives like a new car. I am six hours away from a service center and it was delivered to my home on schedule. Communication from the Tampa service center was excellent. I'm sorry for the OP's experience but in my case, I couldn't be happier.

With the new policy though cars will no longer be delivered with the experience you described. They have obviously refurbished your car. Customers in the future will be given a bill for that refurbishment, not disclosed when you put down the deposit, when they go to pick up the car.

What we are afraid of is that the OP's experience will become the norm as the new policy explicitly states that all they guarantee is a car that is mechanically sound. They are basically trying to get people who buy used cars to pay for all the damage caused by people abuse loaners and I feel it is a very dishonorable thing to do, especially when the condition of the car is not disclosed or documented in advance.

My CPO was delivered last Friday. A 2014 Model S with 32K miles. It looked like a new car. Drives like a new car. I am six hours away from a service center and it was delivered to my home on schedule. Communication from the Tampa service center was excellent. I'm sorry for the OP's experience but in my case, I couldn't be happier.

Tampa Service is on point! Glad to hear they are still kicking ass.

With the new policy though cars will no longer be delivered with the experience you described. They have obviously refurbished your car. Customers in the future will be given a bill for that refurbishment, not disclosed when you put down the deposit, when they go to pick up the car.

What we are afraid of is that the OP's experience will become the norm as the new policy explicitly states that all they guarantee is a car that is mechanically sound. They are basically trying to get people who buy used cars to pay for all the damage caused by people abuse loaners and I feel it is a very dishonorable thing to do, especially when the condition of the car is not disclosed or documented in advance.

So the headliner trim piece along the door sill is also an issue with my CPO.
I had my fair share of issues and had to take the car back for several things. They had to give me a brand new seat because the one that came with the car had deep scratches in the leather seat that looked like it was from keys that hang from a belt loop. I couldn't believe they delivered the car in that shape.

Just understand that this was under their previous policy. With the new policy they will give you a bill to fix all that and this extra cost is not disclosed when you put down a deposit to buy the car.

That’s actually very good to hear. Thanks for sharing.
You know what, if my situation was handeld by immediately picking it up and correcting the issues I would probably be ok with everything.
The reason I feel scammed is everything that was told to me by Tesla after the fact. Salesman says “it’s up to Tesla standards” then completely ignores me after I send him evidence of lack of any kind of standard.
SC basically ignores me as well - for 5 weeks- and on top of it being told that they refuse to send a loaner because it’s too expensive.....
HQ does absolutely nothing other than “escalate the situation” which resulted in absolutely nothing.
so how am I supposed to feel anything other than scammed?

Having said all that, they are now actively trying to correct it but I feel like the damage is already done.

That’s actually very good to hear. Thanks for sharing.
You know what, if my situation was handeld by immediately picking it up and correcting the issues I would probably be ok with everything.
The reason I feel scammed is everything that was told to me by Tesla after the fact. Salesman says “it’s up to Tesla standards” then completely ignores me after I send him evidence of lack of any kind of standard.
SC basically ignores me as well - for 5 weeks- and on top of it being told that they refuse to send a loaner because it’s too expensive.....
HQ does absolutely nothing other than “escalate the situation” which resulted in absolutely nothing.
so how am I supposed to feel anything other than scammed?

Having said all that, they are now actively trying to correct it but I feel like the damage is already done.

Just realize that as bad as your experience is, future customers who buy these cars from Tesla, are in for even worse treatment. There is no longer even any pretense of trying to deliver a car in like new condition, which is what you would get when you buy a 2-3 year old used car from any other manufacturer.

Imagine the same experience as yours but with a bill to fix all the damage and they tell you this is now our new policy!

Just realize that as bad as your experience is, future customers who buy these cars from Tesla, are in for even worse treatment. There is no longer even any pretense of trying to deliver a car in like new condition, which is what you would get when you buy a 2-3 year old used car from any other manufacturer.

Imagine the same experience as yours but with a bill to fix all the damage and they tell you this is now our new policy!

Do you have a link to the "new policy"?

This is their new policy. It is listed with every per-owned car. They are basically trying to get people to pay for all the damage and wear and tear caused by using these cars as loaners when that damage is never disclosed in advance.

LuPye9.jpg

The simple remedy for this problem of receiving a CPO that is not in proper condition is to just not sign for it.

How is that a reasonable way to buy a car from the manufacturer? o_O

The point being when you are buying a $70K used car, customers deserve to be treated better. The problem is they don't disclose all the damage and what refurbishing will cost when you look at used cars online and put down a deposit. It's only after you pay they will give you a bill for all the damage and that is just wrong.

Reactions: ACA Man
How is that a reasonable way to buy a car from the manufacturer? o_O

The point being when you are buying a $70K used car, customers deserve to be treated better. The problem is they don't disclose all the damage and what refurbishing will cost when you look at used cars online and put down a deposit. It's only after you pay they will give you a bill for all the damage and that is just wrong.