Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Buying a ‘23 MY Standard Range - Please educate me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Raleigh east coast
In case people misunderstood what I wrote earlier. My EDD changed to TBD this morning... This is going backward... lol
Looks like the general trend is delivery within 2 weeks from the manufacture date. So for those of us still waiting from Feb, we got 'til 3/17'ish and barely make the delivery by end of March...
Something def seems up with the MYAWDs with the 19” wheels.

Reactions: dion009
I'm in Raleigh east coast
In case people misunderstood what I wrote earlier. My EDD changed to TBD this morning... This is going backward... lol
Looks like the general trend is delivery within 2 weeks from the manufacture date. So for those of us still waiting from Feb, we got 'til 3/17'ish and barely make the delivery by end of March...
Aahhh ok! Yes I re read what you wrote. I think my eyes wanted to see someone get an update to give myself hope. Lol

...aaaaaaand, I swapped.
Pick up on Monday. Exact same car: Black on black with 19" and no other options.
This one is LR instead of SR, so I paid the 4k difference.

It just popped up on inventory today and I called the Tesla phone number. Guy on the other end was great and switched everything in about 10 mins.
Awesome! Sucks having to shell out the extra $$ but it'll be worth it. I'm picking mine up on Wednesday and am tempted to see if they can squeeze me in sooner, just because I'm antsy. lol.

So frustrated. I saw yesterday that all the model y AWD were removed from the existing inventory list. When I went on my phone this morning it refreshed the inventory list and I saw a MYAWD in the exact configuration listed in the same Tesla location I am supposed to pick up delivery that is NOT in production. (Although it was being sold for $53,990 and I ordered it at $50,990).
I texted and called immediately to inquire about it. But of course in those 13 minutes the car was gone. So essentially someone could have woken up this morning and got the car fairly immediately while I have been waiting since last month:(
There were about 4 MYAWD in inventory not in production but ready - but with different configurations. There is only 1 left now. The SA on the phone said my original order is still in production in Austin. Unbelievable.
In one sense, I can wait for a car, I am just in a hurry due to the tax credits.
I truly dislike the lack of transparency.
OD 2/10
EDD 2/21-3/21
EDD on 2/27 changed to TBD
Bay Area, CA
Same boat as you ordered just a day before. It is just frustrating that we are not getting any updates
And all of a sudden they have cars ready to deliver with 2k extra for the 20 wheels even for that we have to reach out our sa and by the time we do all this it's gone lol
I almost booked a same car i ordered and was ready to pay for 20 wheels but then i realized i could buy a LR for that (they are rarely available that's a different story)
All we can do is wait or go through the hastle of checking inventory daily and hoping when we find one car our SA will reply ASAP

20230304_152750-01.jpg

Same boat as you ordered just a day before. It is just frustrating that we are not getting any updates
And all of a sudden they have cars ready to deliver with 2k extra for the 20 wheels even for that we have to reach out our sa and by the time we do all this it's gone lol
I almost booked a same car i ordered and was ready to pay for 20 wheels but then i realized i could buy a LR for that (they are rarely available that's a different story)
All we can do is wait or go through the hastle of checking inventory daily and hoping when we find one car our SA will reply ASAP
What's also crazy was the $2k extra was still for 19" wheels, not the 20"!

Finally got some time after a crazy day. Already put 156 miles.
We reached there with our tradein car about 15 mins early and was asked to wait as the assigned SA was busy with another customer. Roamed the delivery lot and found the car and started the exterior inspection. She is a beauty and my eyes first went to the wheels even though I don't want it. She is gorgeous with those wheels compared to the other beauty which was right next to her with the same color and 19" gemini.
Didn't see any problems with the paint. It was all washed and kept ready. There were couple of places where I felt the panel was bit off. Nothing crazy though. There was a tear on the weather strip next to the rear passenger door. We noted and took the pics for all.
SA came and introd and opened the car for us and told us we can go in and check everything whenever we are ready to come in and pay. We showed all the exterior problems which we saw. Except for the tear which she took pic, the standard response was it was within our std limits and I can assure you there is no problem. We completed the interior check and it was better and didn't see any issues.
No drives allowed without payment. Completed the payment and finished the tradein. They handed the key.
We went back and noticed that the rear passenger door was not closing properly it really needed some extra force to close. The answer from SA was "I think this is an Austn one they Austin ones are like this 3 doors will be fine one will have some issues initially but it will be fine after couple of days." I couldn't believe what I heard. I told her I need to get this fixed right away and she mentioned we need to raise a reqhest in the app for service and they cant do anything now. I have 100 miles or 24 hrs to raise all the problems in the service request in the app. This all happend before the final step accepting the delivery in the app. I was having 50/50 at this time about accepting the delivery. Then I spoke to couple of people who was taking delivery with us and everyone had 1 or 2 issues like these. We compared the cars and felt confident to take the delivery. Accepted the delivery and started putting the concerns and raised a service request. It was accepted immediately and got message for each of them to put pics. None of them was rejected.
Scheduled service for 3/7.
Car only had 2 miles on it. Drive was pretty fine but about 5 mins later started getting some sort of rattling and sounded like glass. I was really worried and started looking around. We were already on the highway and couldn't pull over. The rattling would only come when the road gets rougher. But the glass sound made me really worried. Edited the service request again and added it. They accepted it.
We missed interior panels in the trunk when we checked. And one of the panel is loose and it's coming off. Looks like it was not properly clipped. We didnt notice coz its on top when I open the trunk and u barely notice it from inside when the trunk is closed. Again edited the service request. In total there are 8 services in that request. They have accepted it all.

Overall QC for Tesla is non existent. I have bought cars with different manufacturers in multiple countries and this is the first time I have seen so many clearly visible issues. I can understand mechanical / electrical or electronics issues which is not visible straight away but this was so visible in plain slight except for rattling.

We like the car it's a beauty and a good drive. But is it there for the money I paid, first day, I don't think so. I hope the service appointment will fix these issues.

About the 19" and 20" wheels I think the diff is there but not that huge for me unless may be the roads are really rough. One thing I noticed with my MYAWD and my frnds MYLR Fremont, MYAWD I felt more grounded and sturdier drive compared to the LR. Not sure if it's right words but there was a slight diff especially on highways.
The 20" with a 2k I think is only for the look and you can get that with wheel covers and better comfort on 19".

My one month quest for Tesla is over today. Started it with a booking for a base model M3 on 2/5 and got an MY with induction wheels 😂.

I wish and pray that all of you guys get the best cars before the EV announcements. Enjoy your rides.

I visited the store today. I talked to the SA and he showed me the screen that they all see of customers profile and I saw my text conversations from the 510 number. Delivery date still TBD and he said that it will change when it comes out of production. There was a section on the screen for the freight scheduling, departure, tracking, etc. and a map view of the location of the car when in transit, which usually updates when the car is out of production. He said that there hasn’t been issues with 19’ wheels or SR model and they had 3 or 4 MYSR W/B/19 ready to be delivered. And even though he couldn’t tell me when my car would be out of production he said that the one thing he knows of Tesla for sure since he’s been working there is the push to deliver as many cars as posible by the end of each quarter… so hopefully we’ll get our cars by the end of the month at the latest.

Finally got some time after a crazy day. Already put 156 miles.
We reached there with our tradein car about 15 mins early and was asked to wait as the assigned SA was busy with another customer. Roamed the delivery lot and found the car and started the exterior inspection. She is a beauty and my eyes first went to the wheels even though I don't want it. She is gorgeous with those wheels compared to the other beauty which was right next to her with the same color and 19" gemini.
Didn't see any problems with the paint. It was all washed and kept ready. There were couple of places where I felt the panel was bit off. Nothing crazy though. There was a tear on the weather strip next to the rear passenger door. We noted and took the pics for all.
SA came and introd and opened the car for us and told us we can go in and check everything whenever we are ready to come in and pay. We showed all the exterior problems which we saw. Except for the tear which she took pic, the standard response was it was within our std limits and I can assure you there is no problem. We completed the interior check and it was better and didn't see any issues.
No drives allowed without payment. Completed the payment and finished the tradein. They handed the key.
We went back and noticed that the rear passenger door was not closing properly it really needed some extra force to close. The answer from SA was "I think this is an Austn one they Austin ones are like this 3 doors will be fine one will have some issues initially but it will be fine after couple of days." I couldn't believe what I heard. I told her I need to get this fixed right away and she mentioned we need to raise a reqhest in the app for service and they cant do anything now. I have 100 miles or 24 hrs to raise all the problems in the service request in the app. This all happend before the final step accepting the delivery in the app. I was having 50/50 at this time about accepting the delivery. Then I spoke to couple of people who was taking delivery with us and everyone had 1 or 2 issues like these. We compared the cars and felt confident to take the delivery. Accepted the delivery and started putting the concerns and raised a service request. It was accepted immediately and got message for each of them to put pics. None of them was rejected.
Scheduled service for 3/7.
Car only had 2 miles on it. Drive was pretty fine but about 5 mins later started getting some sort of rattling and sounded like glass. I was really worried and started looking around. We were already on the highway and couldn't pull over. The rattling would only come when the road gets rougher. But the glass sound made me really worried. Edited the service request again and added it. They accepted it.
We missed interior panels in the trunk when we checked. And one of the panel is loose and it's coming off. Looks like it was not properly clipped. We didnt notice coz its on top when I open the trunk and u barely notice it from inside when the trunk is closed. Again edited the service request. In total there are 8 services in that request. They have accepted it all.

Overall QC for Tesla is non existent. I have bought cars with different manufacturers in multiple countries and this is the first time I have seen so many clearly visible issues. I can understand mechanical / electrical or electronics issues which is not visible straight away but this was so visible in plain slight except for rattling.

We like the car it's a beauty and a good drive. But is it there for the money I paid, first day, I don't think so. I hope the service appointment will fix these issues.

About the 19" and 20" wheels I think the diff is there but not that huge for me unless may be the roads are really rough. One thing I noticed with my MYAWD and my frnds MYLR Fremont, MYAWD I felt more grounded and sturdier drive compared to the LR. Not sure if it's right words but there was a slight diff especially on highways.
The 20" with a 2k I think is only for the look and you can get that with wheel covers and better comfort on 19".

My one month quest for Tesla is over today. Started it with a booking for a base model M3 on 2/5 and got an MY with induction wheels 😂.

I wish and pray that all of you guys get the best cars before the EV announcements. Enjoy your rides.
Thank you for the in-depth review. Like you said QC is non-existent with Tesla, but cars all get wear and tear over many years of usage and I'm sure we'll all forget about these QC issues after a while. It sounds like all the issues you raised can be addressed at the SC! Congrats again!

Reactions: dion009
I visited the store today. I talked to the SA and he showed me the screen that they all see of customers profile and I saw my text conversations from the 510 number. Delivery date still TBD and he said that it will change when it comes out of production. There was a section on the screen for the freight scheduling, departure, tracking, etc. and a map view of the location of the car when in transit, which usually updates when the car is out of production. He said that there hasn’t been issues with 19’ wheels or SR model and they had 3 or 4 MYSR W/B/19 ready to be delivered. And even though he couldn’t tell me when my car would be out of production he said that the one thing he knows of Tesla for sure since he’s been working there is the push to deliver as many cars as posible by the end of each quarter… so hopefully we’ll get our cars by the end of the month at the latest.
Thank you for this valuable information. I didn't know they kept track of all the 510 number text messages.... What this means is that these Tesla folks who are answering 510 messages don't even care to read previous messages, because I've been getting different answers all the time from 510 text. One text told me car's built, then the next text told me car is not built.... Another alarming issue that points to Tesla's shady business practice is that if they didn't have any issue with 19" wheel supply chain, then why ignore orders with 19" wheels that were placed earlier and instead crank out orders with 20" wheels? This has been true with MYLR orders where people get faster VIN or EDD moving up when they change to 20" wheels. They are all about them numbers and profits and according to Munro videos, MYAWD models are cheaper and faster to produce than MYLR due to front/rear gigacasting and less parts to assemble manually. I love Tesla and what it's doing to make the world a better place, but their business practice and logistics have big problems

Last edited:
Reactions: j7j7mad and dion009