Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a ‘23 MY Standard Range - Please educate me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not new to Ev since we have owned several Leafs since 2015 and last month jumped into a ‘23 MYLR which we like.

Today I put a deposit on 2nd Y, a White/Black, ‘23 MY with 279 mi range for the wife to use mostly locally, so range isn’t an issue.
According to the VIN, 7SAYGDEEXPAXXXXXX I believe it’s an Austin manufactured car. According to sales it’s in pre-production.

I searched the forum but I’m confused. What do I need to know or be aware of with this car? Is the battery a 4680 and if so is that good or bad?

As far as most of us know, all SRAWD w/279mi range (no options) use 4680 batteries and they're only assembled in Austin (for now).

I'm sure there are plenty of differences (4680 vs 2170), but for basic local driving and I assume home charging... none of it really matters too much.
This. All the same recommendations for the LR with 2170 apply to 4680 since it's NOT LFP. Know that real world range will be lower than the advertised 279.

I'm sure there are plenty of differences (4680 vs 2170),

One major difference will be that the 4680 should have a front casting
and structural battery pack with the front seats bolted on top of it.

But this could not be noticeable, unless crawling under the car,
and maybe the casting could save some weight.

Also it is not impossible that Tesla increase the range of the 4680 using a software update
after the initial validation period of this new type of battery cells.

I think now that the price delta between MYAWD and MYLR is $4K (well actually now it is $3500 as MYAWD went up $500 yesterday) that MYAWD does make a good choice for those not planning to do a lot of long road trips. A few weeks ago the delta was only $2K and I had a hard time justifying why one wouldn't just get the LR (unless they wanted a car faster).

4680 is Tesla's next generation battery. They talked it up a lot a few years ago. So far it hasn't shown to have any big benefit in the way Tesla is using it in the MYAWD but it is still what will be in all the cars in a few years time. So I wouldn't worry about having 4680.

Because it is 4680 the MYAWD uses the structural battery pack as its floor and uses front and rear gigacastings instead of just rear on the LR/P. I'm not sure if that has any realizable benefit at this point but again it is where Tesla is moving all the vehicles to eventually. You probably won't notice any difference day to day. But please report back once you get the MYAWD as I haven't seen anyone compare it to a recent MYLR. You may be the first I've read on here that will have both 2023 LR and AWD. You may discover some differences that no one has brought up before!! Was you LR built in TX or CA?

Should be noted that 4680 is still the same type of chemistry as 2170 so charging is still recommended to 80-90% and not 100% like the M3 SR+ that uses the LFP type battery (and MYSR in other countries).

There is a website www.watingfortesla.com that you can search MY in the US and then filter the trim to MYAWD and filter the location to your state. You will then probably see your car on that list and it does give the production date. Looks like all these recent MYAWD that showed up as coming soon in inventory the other day are being built between Feb 16-20th. So that should give you some idea of when you might get the car depending on transport logistics to your location.

One major difference will be that the 4680 should have a front casting
and structural battery pack with the front seats bolted on top of it.

But this could not be noticeable, unless crawling under the car,
and maybe the casting could save some weight.
They mean effectively nothing to everyday driving. Which is what I said with that part you cut the quote from.

Looking through it, the curb weight difference between the LR and SR is 25 lbs (4381 vs 4356). Barely over 0.5% of the curb weight.

Again, effectively nothing.

The castings are heavy.
Also it is not impossible that Tesla increase the range of the 4680 using a software update
after the initial validation period of this new type of battery cells.
If this was last year, I'd say you're an optimist. But now... you might want to curb you're expectations.

From what I've seen online, most, including Munro_Live, show that the limitations is more along hardware, than software. Chemical make-up is part (people were expecting silicon, but it doesn't have it), while the fact the pack isn't completely filled by the cells (crash foam on the sides and additional space) means that the battery is CURRENTLY where it "should" be.

Adding silicon, like is already in 2170s will increase performance of the cell and while you're right in that there's a "validation," it likely more for the crash foam, and its removal to potentially add more cells.

If you REALLY want to make something out of the SRAWD, then it's a proof of concept of where it COULD go with giga-casting, better battery chemistry and once its safer to fill out the pack with cells.

Last edited:
Reactions: gsmith123
My 2023 MYLR was built in CA. My “coming soon” MYAWD is an Austin built car.

When we ordered the MYAWD the delta between it and a MYLR was $4k. More that that, an ordered MYLR has an EDD of Mar-May where the MTAWD has a EDD of Feb-Mar. With possibility of Tax credit being reduced $3,750 after Mar the price delta would increase for the MYLR.

we lived with a Nissan Leaf with a range of 220 miles for the last 3+ years so we are experienced with that range limits. Tesla has a big advantage with Super Charger networks where Nissan CHAdeMO DC fast charger network really sucks.

The MYAWD will be used locally and also for commuting the 125 miles between our house and our remote cabin, both in Florida. Our Leaf had between 50-80 miles of range remaining when going from house to cabin, depending on weather, wind etc. We have L2 chargers at both homes. A MY has a huge interior storage advantage over a Leaf.

When we ordered the MYAWD the delta between it and a MYLR was $4k. More that that, an ordered MYLR has an EDD of Mar-May where the MTAWD has a EDD of Feb-Mar. With possibility of Tax credit being reduced $3,750 after Mar the price delta would increase for the MYLR.

we lived with a Nissan Leaf with a range of 220 miles for the last 3+ years so we are experienced with that range limits. Tesla has a big advantage with Super Charger networks where Nissan CHAdeMO DC fast charger network really sucks.

The MYAWD will be used locally and also for commuting the 125 miles between our house and our remote cabin, both in Florida. Our Leaf had between 50-80 miles of range remaining when going from house to cabin, depending on weather, wind etc. We have L2 chargers at both homes. A MY has a huge interior storage advantage over a Leaf.
I think you will be fine. FL doesn't get temps too severe in Winter. You can still use a SR AWD on trips you will just have to charge slightly more often.

Reactions: GSP
Know that real world range will be lower than the advertised 279.
This is misleading. The range of the car is based on the battery capacity divided by wh/mi used. If you're driving faster than the EPA tests at, your wh/mi will be higher and your range will be lower. If you stick to the wh/mi in the EPA test, you'll hit the advertised range.

Driving a Camry at 85 mph is going to get worse range than the sticker says too.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce

Same boat. Love the leaf but need more space for local driving. Just ordered MYAWD yesterday. Worried about the tax rebate cut off. Did you get the delivery date? I am in GA got the VIN no news on the delivery date.

Same boat. Love the leaf but need more space for local driving. Just ordered MYAWD yesterday. Worried about the tax rebate cut off. Did you get the delivery date? I am in GA got the VIN no news on the delivery date.

No firm date. Jus range 2/16-3/25.

As a Leaf owner, you may be surprised that the Tesla doesn’t come with any charger. It does come with an adaptor so you can use a J1772 EVSE to charge your Tesla. We use the same EVSEs that we used with our Leafs to charge the Tesla. I bought 2 extra J1772 to Tesla adaptors for $50 each so I have one in the car and one on each charger at our house and cabin. They charge at 30 amps and 27 miles for each hour connected.

we have been keeping the rear seats folded down and our 2 dogs love the room in the back.

Reactions: dion009
There is a website www.watingfortesla.com that you can search MY in the US and then filter the trim to MYAWD and filter the location to your state. You will then probably see your car on that list and it does give the production date. Looks like all these recent MYAWD that showed up as coming soon in inventory the other day are being built between Feb 16-20th. So that should give you some idea of when you might get the car depending on transport logistics to your location.
So let say on that website it said the build date is FEB 16, does that mean they start building the car on Feb16 or they completed the build? Usually how long does it take to build a Tesla from start to finish? I did order a MY AWD for my daughter so she can use it for school and work. No long distance driving and we have 2 ICE vehicles for long distance trip. I order on 2/2 in NJ. Got the VIN on 2/3 with EDD TBD. 2 days ago they change the EDD to Feb-Mar and the VIN disappeared. Anyway to find if the vehicle built date with the VIN? Hope to get it before March.

when I ordered mine on 2/2, I got the VIN the next day with TDB delivery date. About 7 days later, it updated to Feb-Mar delivery date and the VIN disappeared. The VIN appeared different than Waitingfortesla.com website. Waitingfortesta.com next 3 characters after 7SAY are numbers when the VIN I got are characters.

I placed an order for MYAWD from an existing inventory and instantly got a VIN without delivery date yet. I also have a MYLR on order in case $7500 continues after March 2023 IRS announcement.

If you are mostly doing in town driving, then SR vs LR is meaningless. If you are doing long <400 mi trips few times a year, you are looking at about 15 to 30 min delay due to extra charging vs. LR. To me spedning extra 15 to 30 min once or twice a year for each long trip didn’t matter much if I can save $4k plus $7,500 full tax credit. So I went with SR immediately when one came in stock. For $/mi value SR comes in at $155/mi with full tax cred. This is same value for LR with half tax cred.

Now, if IRS decides to offer $7,500 even after Mar 2023, I’m going with LR because that’s $144/mi value for LR

I already confirmed with SA that Tesla will be able to credit back the order if I end up cancelling one of the orders

Reactions: arbitrage000
I placed an order for MYAWD from an existing inventory and instantly got a VIN without delivery date yet. I also have a MYLR on order in case $7500 continues after March 2023 IRS announcement.

If you are mostly doing in town driving, then SR vs LR is meaningless. If you are doing long <400 mi trips few times a year, you are looking at about 15 to 30 min delay due to extra charging vs. LR. To me spedning extra 15 to 30 min once or twice a year for each long trip didn’t matter much if I can save $4k plus $7,500 full tax credit. So I went with SR immediately when one came in stock. For $/mi value SR comes in at $155/mi with full tax cred. This is same value for LR with half tax cred.

Now, if IRS decides to offer $7,500 even after Mar 2023, I’m going with LR because that’s $144/mi value for LR

I already confirmed with SA that Tesla will be able to credit back the order if I end up cancelling one of the orders
Won't you have already taken delivery of MYAWD before IRS issues any guidance? The recent MYAWDs are being built Feb 16-20 (according to waitingfortesla.com which lists the production date even for these future builds) so I'd think you will get the car by end of Feb.

Won't you have already taken delivery of MYAWD before IRS issues any guidance? The recent MYAWDs are being built Feb 16-20 (according to waitingfortesla.com which lists the production date even for these future builds) so I'd think you will get the car by end of Feb.
I hope so! If I get delivery before Feb, I will defnly take the SR. I mentioned taking LR only if SR doesnt get delivered before March!

Reactions: arbitrage000
I cancelled my YLR in favor of the more instant gratification for the YAWD. (Delivery est 2/17-3/10.) Given that the battery chemistries are the same which would generate similar charging characteristics, I have a feeling (based on nothing but intuition) that other external characteristics will enable Tesla engineers to modify charging/discharging software at some time in the future. That said, between the new packaging of the giga-casting frame + 4680 structure, word on the street is that the body rigidity is noticeably upgraded. Less flex = fewer rattles and a firmer road feel.

Alright, I've gone over the WaitingForTesla.com website about 20 times and I can't figure out where you are getting this information?

Can you walk us through how to find it?
Thank you.
Sure...on any listing it lists the build date. Now there are only a few MYAWDs left so you can only check those few. When they dumped the 300 or so you could look through all of them and the dates ranged from Feb16-20 for most.

One current example:

mybuild.JPG

Last edited: