Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 100k mile Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone! I am new here and this is my first post! I am currently looking at a 2013 Model S 85 with 129k miles. The price is super good and it's a one owner vehicle driven in CA and AZ. I live close to a service center. Going to hopefully be able to test the battery when I go to look at in person. What is everyone's thought on owning a Tesla outside of warranty?

Plenty of Info here, but ask about door handles, sun roof, both main battery and 12V, drive unit, and mcu. Those are likely parts to fail if they haven’t been recently replaced. I would budget $3-5k a year on repairs over time if you plan on everything being done through Tesla, could be a lot less with some diy. These are heavy older luxury cars too, so suspension wear is possible/likely.

The other thing to consider is downtime, repairs can take a while and be frequent at times so I wouldn’t own an older one without another vehicle for backup. It’s the best looking and performing car you can get for the price by far, but you should read all the threads on this topic so you know what you’re getting into without a warranty.

I have a 100k Model S, but it’s a 2016. It’s been relatively trouble free and I hope to go another 100k miles.

But, I would not buy one without a battery/drive unit warranty. That’s just me.

Can you afford a ~$15k repair bill (or afford to scrap the car and get something else) at any time?

Reactions: MIT_S60
Your biggest risk with 1 2013 is that a it has its battery warranty expired or expiring soon. Do some research on how to gauge the health of a battery (from full charge range to hooking up a CAN scanner to get battery health data). Battery replacement is still very expensive today (think $20K or more for a refurb battery).