Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a good deal - 2013 Model S 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super new to Tesla and looking to purchase a 2013 Model S 60. Should I purchase this one, or should I be looking for one that has never had a battery or drivetrain replaced? The other option I am considering has not given the owner any problems in 4 years except door handles and the 12V battery. The second option also has around 100k miles.

Which of the two options has more of a potential for giving me less headaches? Any feed back will be super appreciated.
IMG_1886.jpeg

LDU equals Large Drive Unit.

Also the OP posted a picture from a facebook marketplace ad.... that's a good place to find cars to test drive but not sure I would trust it as a buyer especially as you are new to tesla.

So many car flippers aka curbstoners aka "oh the title is in my wife's cousin's name I'll have to see when he is free to sign it over." aka shady used car dealer who doesnt have to pay licensing fees or taxes that a semi-legit business would.

Upvote 0
I also prefer, as mentioned, the small drive unit (non-performance) to the large drive unit cars.
correction, SDU is in non-performance n non-rwd cars :)
in case OP doesn't know, any RWD tesla will have LDU (inverter is diff from perf but coolant issues are the same)

OP, best to request battery sticker pic or look at it urself, or get a print out from obd like Scan My Tesla or similar
Also, just asking if LDU was checked might not get u honest answer, get the car to mechanic n pull speed sensor to check for coolant
Its a 10min job, look it up on youtube.

Reactions: Krash
Upvote 0
So... is this an S60 from 2013 (no AP) for $20k and it may or may not have a software locked 85kW battery?

If above is true, I don't think it's a good deal. Probably a little newer Model S-es come up from time to time for not much more money.
Not having AP in a Tesla would be a dealbreaker for me. AP1 worked great and it's half the fun of owning one of these cars.

Upvote 0
How much are they asking for the car?

There is a such thing as a new battery vs refurbished, it’s technically a 90 kWh battery, but the owner may not be aware of this. The new batteries have a different chemistries than the original and are far superior (similar to the 100 batteries)in particular for super charging. Also, the battery case is different than the original one and apparently will have zero water intrusion unlike the original.

That eight year warranty statement about the battery is false

This car also probably has free unlimited supercharging that will transfer to the new owner- Combined with a new battery, that would be awesome.

If you take a look at the car, take a picture of the battery label inside the front passenger fender well. If you post it here or look up on Google, you’ll get all your answers about what battery it has.

Upvote 0
Regarding the "good deal" question, I just sold a late 2016 Model S 75 with 175,000 miles for roughly the same price. Free supercharging, FSD computer, upgraded MCU, etc etc etc). I would take a newer, higher miles example than an older Model S for the same price almost every time. TBH I don't know that I'd buy a 2013 at basically any price.

Upvote 0
Without getting too technical, you would much rather have an s 60 which has had the battery replaced. The replacement batteries are going to be larger batteries which have just been ‘software locked’ to only allow the same amount of energy as the original. But they will be working less hard as a result, so you can expect better charging and longevity.

Upvote 0
I know the Model S is a great car for our first Tesla vehicle was a 2017 Model S 75. My recommendation would be to take a look at a Model 3. It took me a while to warm up to them and it was by accident actually. Quick story. We bought a 2020 Model Y for a business plan so I was use to the single screen. On one occasion, we were given a loaner model 3 Long Range Rear Wheel Drive and I fell in love with how much fun it was to drive and how well it handled in curves. FF to today. I traded in the MY for the Model 3 2018. I have been very happy. So, I did a quick look at some Tesla used inventory and I'm seeing some used 2020 Model 3 available for a little over $6,000 from your Model S price point. All used cars can be a gamble but I will say that Tesla offers warranties and if they sell it, rest sure it will supercharge. If this is your first tesla, the Model 3 is a great starter into the tesla world. It will have better handling, faster CPU, and be more efficient to travel in. Sure it's smaller but I feel it will be less prone to any high dollar issues compared to the much older Model S. This is just one opinion. YMMV.

Upvote 0