Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a former salvage Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Came across this roadster that was wrecked and then repaired out of country. Cars.com

My plan would be to replace the battery pack with new version Tesla modules to get the range up. Is this possible?

Attachments

• BC98485B-30D5-4AD8-99C1-F4F1B0EAC5D8.jpeg
    BC98485B-30D5-4AD8-99C1-F4F1B0EAC5D8.jpeg
    715.1 KB · Views: 105
I’m fond of saying, “anything is possible with time and money.”

There’s no such thing as “former” when it comes to salvage. It’s a salvage title and Tesla won’t offer any support or even allow you to purchase parts. So, if you want to build a new battery yourself and hack the firmware to support it, go ahead, but I’d stay away.

Reactions: ICON
I’m fond of saying, “anything is possible with time and money.”

There’s no such thing as “former” when it comes to salvage. It’s a salvage title and Tesla won’t offer any support or even allow you to purchase parts. So, if you want to build a new battery yourself and hack the firmware to support it, go ahead, but I’d stay away.
How exactly would I go about hacking the software. Wouldn’t it be more of a connect and go kinda case.

How exactly would I go about hacking the software. Wouldn’t it be more of a connect and go kinda case.

A good starting point is here:

The Car Hacker’s Handbook

But if you have to go there, then perhaps the project is too complex for you.

The car firmware is written, and power electronics designed, for a specific type of cells and arrangement. Change the cells to something else with different characteristics, and you will most likely run into problems with either the firmware or power electronics. For example, when Tesla came out with the 3.0 pack for the roadster, using different cells (but with the arrangement unchanged), they had to make changes to both the PEM (power electronics module) and firmware.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando and ICON
It saves you from a huge dissapointment. Don’t get me wrong, what you want to do is pretty easy, it’s going to cost 30,000 for the cells. 2,000 for the BMS master and slave, 3,500 to control the inverter and probably 3-5 for the inverter. Then you need to pay someone to program that into the roadster, plus a gen 3 charger $1700, open source board probably another $1,500. And that unfortunately will be stand alone. But you should theoretically be able to dump 600-1000 amps into the motor and have supercharging with the range (at 50mph) of a LRM3. But you could buy LRM3 for that and graft a lotus shell on it for less.

It saves you from a huge dissapointment. Don’t get me wrong, what you want to do is pretty easy, it’s going to cost 30,000 for the cells. 2,000 for the BMS master and slave, 3,500 to control the inverter and probably 3-5 for the inverter. Then you need to pay someone to program that into the roadster, plus a gen 3 charger $1700, open source board probably another $1,500. And that unfortunately will be stand alone. But you should theoretically be able to dump 600-1000 amps into the motor and have supercharging with the range (at 50mph) of a LRM3. But you could buy LRM3 for that and graft a lotus shell on it for less.
More like $20,000 for 80kw/h in the cells, wouldn’t you think?

I have a hacked 72A gen3 that will accept supercharging. What cells are you thinking of for 20,000 certainly nothing amazing $3 a cell will get you used laptops, you can’t go larger than 18650’s due to space. Tesla model S cells will give you range but there not the highest capacity discharge cells out there. And you won’t be buying them at that cost. The car in question I believe has a good pack so you could sell that on maybe but don’t expect to get anything like what it’s worth.
Unless you are buying millions of cells your stuck with the man on the street prices and that’s not cheap.

Remember three years ago there was this dude on TMC saying he was going to repair a flooded Model S, and how we all laughed? Well, 3 years on, and Rich has been driving that car for a while now (plus repaired a couple others).

I still say you must be crazy to event attempt this. But ...

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” (Rob Siltanen)​

So, good luck, please be careful; and please keep us informed.

Remember three years ago there was this dude on TMC saying he was going to repair a flooded Model S, and how we all laughed? Well, 3 years on, and Rich has been driving that car for a while now (plus repaired a couple others).

I still say you must be crazy to event attempt this. But ...

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” (Rob Siltanen)​

So, good luck, please be careful; and please keep us informed.
Thanks for the support and the Steve Jobs quote there.