Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used 2017 Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be looking to buy a used Tesla model S from someone via craigslist, the car has around 46K miles on it (I dont know if that is relevant or effects it in anyway). I was wondering if anyone can give me tips on what to look at when buying a used Tesla? This is coming from someone who has only driven an EV once in their life so pls no flame :/ Any help is appreciated ! Thank you

I may be looking to buy a used Tesla model S from someone via craigslist, the car has around 46K miles on it (I dont know if that is relevant or effects it in anyway). I was wondering if anyone can give me tips on what to look at when buying a used Tesla? This is coming from someone who has only driven an EV once in their life so pls no flame :/ Any help is appreciated ! Thank you
Take pictures and show us the interior and exterior so we can at least help with the physical bits. I'm no expert on what to look for but I do own one so I can tell you what I would look for.

1. What model is it? 75D, 100D, or P100D?
2. The estimated range at 90% charge.
3. Does it have Enhanced AutoPilot or Full Self Driving package?
4. VIN number for insurance research to see its accident history. If any.
5. Ask if there is anything needing worked on and hope for an honest answer.

There are checklists floating around here on this forum that people use when they take delivery. Here is one that is fairly old, but maybe it will guide you to check out other things! Tesla Model S Buyers', Delivery and Owners' Guide

Take pictures and show us the interior and exterior so we can at least help with the physical bits. I'm no expert on what to look for but I do own one so I can tell you what I would look for.

1. What model is it? 75D, 100D, or P100D?
2. The estimated range at 90% charge.
3. Does it have Enhanced AutoPilot or Full Self Driving package?
4. VIN number for insurance research to see its accident history. If any.
5. Ask if there is anything needing worked on and hope for an honest answer.

There are checklists floating around here on this forum that people use when they take delivery. Here is one that is fairly old, but maybe it will guide you to check out other things! Tesla Model S Buyers', Delivery and Owners' Guide
Thank you so much for this! really appreciate it

Buying used directly from Tesla is 90% of the time a better deal than craigslist. Give us parameters you are looking at, and I'll show you a better deal at Tesla. The biggest advantage of buying directly from Tesla is the factory bumper to bumper warranty on mechanical issues. The biggest downside is the sales staff is very slow to respond and you don't get to see the car before purchase.

Buying used directly from Tesla is 90% of the time a better deal than craigslist. Give us parameters you are looking at, and I'll show you a better deal at Tesla. The biggest advantage of buying directly from Tesla is the factory bumper to bumper warranty on mechanical issues. The biggest downside is the sales staff is very slow to respond and you don't get to see the car before purchase.
Its a 2017 Tesla Model S 60 in white (has a 75 kWH battery i just need to pay $1500 to upgrade the software he said) Has full enhanced autopilot 2.0 and has the full autonomous purchased as well when it comes out. It has Tesla rubber floor mats, power panoramic sunroof, premium sound. It also has painted rims as well and he stated recently serviced for its drive train (?). It has around 46,000 miles on it (I dont know if thats a factor in this case) I'm buying it for $51,750.

California rebate doesn't apply to used cars. For the battery upgrade $1,500 sounds cheap. I would get confirmation on that. Would also get confirmation that FSD has been puchased. Looks like a good deal if true. Tesla mostly pulled its AP HW 2.0 used cars for sale. Don't know when they will will return. 3 year mark for lease returns is q4 this year.

California rebate doesn't apply to used cars. For the battery upgrade $1,500 sounds cheap. I would get confirmation on that. Would also get confirmation that FSD has been puchased. Looks like a good deal if true. Tesla mostly pulled its AP HW 2.0 used cars for sale. Don't know when they will will return. 3 year mark for lease returns is q4 this year.

ahhh i see and yeah he said its around $2k with tax to upgrade the battery software to 75 kWH from the base. I will get confirmation that FSD has been purchased and yeah its recently been serviced he said (the yearly service) and the warranty is good til 2025 he said. Is there anything I should be aware of? thank you for the help btw

ahhh i see and yeah he said its around $2k with tax to upgrade the battery software to 75 kWH from the base. I will get confirmation that FSD has been purchased and yeah its recently been serviced he said (the yearly service) and the warranty is good til 2025 he said. Is there anything I should be aware of? thank you for the help btw
Maybe grab the VIN and call/email Tesla support and see if they can confirm the FSD and the battery upgrade price info for you if the individual you are purchasing this car from cannot show you their proof for some reason. They may not talk to you since you aren't the owner anyway so hopefully this individual can show you their account and proof of purchase. This looks like a pretty awesome deal! :D

The only other thing I can think about right now is the accessories that normally come with a Tesla Model S. Mine came with a Tow hook and a mobile charger with 2 adapters for 110V and 240V.

Good luck with the purchase if you do decide to purchase! Please share pictures! I always love seeing other owner's Teslas. After almost 9 months of owning a Tesla, I still feel like I just got Sparrow. I hope you feel the same :D

Maybe grab the VIN and call/email Tesla support and see if they can confirm the FSD and the battery upgrade price info for you if the individual you are purchasing this car from cannot show you their proof for some reason. They may not talk to you since you aren't the owner anyway so hopefully this individual can show you their account and proof of purchase. This looks like a pretty awesome deal! :D

The only other thing I can think about right now is the accessories that normally come with a Tesla Model S. Mine came with a Tow hook and a mobile charger with 2 adapters for 110V and 240V.

Good luck with the purchase if you do decide to purchase! Please share pictures! I always love seeing other owner's Teslas. After almost 9 months of owning a Tesla, I still feel like I just got Sparrow. I hope you feel the same :D

ah yeah he said it came with chargers i believe and I'm gonna try and call tesla tomorrow! Super excited for this car and thank you!

I don't think this will be a problem. Many Teslas have gone way over 200K.
ahh okay cool to know, Should I be buying the extended 4 year/50K warranty bumper to bumper? I dont know if I should be cause the 8 year unlimited warranty covers drive train and battery but not like any other malfunctions but I dont know if any will arise later since right now its perfect (i.e. the door handlebars etc)

I have just learned that the car was actually manufactured in 2016 in December but has the new body and enhanced autopilot but has not paid for the FSD in the future. The car is near 50K Miles is this still a good deal at around $52K?
I would start at Tesla's own site and search their used inventory for price comparisons. | Tesla. I think he might be asking for too much now after glancing at the results from Tesla own inventory.

ahh okay cool to know, Should I be buying the extended 4 year/50K warranty bumper to bumper? I dont know if I should be cause the 8 year unlimited warranty covers drive train and battery but not like any other malfunctions but I dont know if any will arise later since right now its perfect (i.e. the door handlebars etc)
You don't have to purchase extended warranty immediately. You'll have the option to purchase at any time up till warranty expiration. I would hold off till you are close to warranty ending to determine if the extra warranty would be worth it to you.

• Love
Reactions: b team

Try these sites to what is on the market from Tesla and others(only used Tesla). If you buy a used car from a private party, you can have the original owner buy the extended warranty if the car is under 50K miles and under 4 years old. You cannot do this if you purchase from a dealer. For $50K you should consider a new Model 3. Latest tech, batteries, faster charging, longer range, just a bit smaller.

https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/
Listings | Only Used Tesla
Tesla Inventory List - Find your next car

This is just not sounding like a very good deal anymore. I have a 2017 S 75RWD. August build, so it is AP2.5. The invoice was 69,000 and after state and federal rebates it was 59,000.

Assuming the amounts are correct, after you unlock the battery and assuming you buy an extended warranty you are into it for about 58,000. Considering it has 50,000 miles on it, this just does not sound like a good deal.

At a minimum, I would ask him to split the extended warranty with you. That is a very reasonable request.