Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Lamborghini/Ferrari/or other supercar Vs. new 2020 Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By 2020, a good used Lamborghini (Huracan or even Aventador) or Ferrari 488/458/other would be around $250,000 or even less.

So why would a new 2020 Roadster be better than those other well known super cars? If I go to a fancy restaurant, the valet parking attendant usually park the well known super cars in the front and secure location. Unfortunately, I see them park a really expensive Tesla (model X or P100D) somewhere in the back of the lot with other ordinary cars. So other well known super cars like Lamborghini or Ferrari always get better treatment.

So will the 2020 Tesla Roadster get better treatment like the Lamborghini or Ferrari?

Would you still get a 2020 Tesla Roadster over the Lamborghini Aventador?

I am just trying to see if it would better for me to spend $250,000 on a brand new Tesla 2020 Roadster or other super car.

I already made the deposit for the 2020 Roadster. I will not be getting a super car until 2020, whether it is a Tesla 2020 Roadster or other super car.

By the way, this is only part of what I see with super cars. I am not buying a super car because of good parking at the restaurant. I want to get a super car with performance. Lamborghini and Ferrari do have great performance. Getting good attention with a super car is just a bonus.
What an odd question.

If you care about performance... well, what sort of performance? Acceleration? Once you've driven a Tesla, the Lambo and Ferrarri will feel sluggish. Braking? Again, the Tesla will be better, due to regen. Hugging the road? The Tesla will be better: better weight balance. Responsiveness? The Tesla will be better; no fuel injection delays. Top speed? What racetrack are you going to? -- since that's illegal on the street. Steering handling? Could go either way.

As for getting good parking, your best bet is probably just to hire limos rather than driving a car yourself.

Regarding *attention*, the most important thing is to have a strange custom paint job, or custom interior -- the car underneath barely matters. Custom will always get you attention, if that's what you want.

If I go to a fancy restaurant, the valet parking attendant usually park the well known super cars in the front and secure location. Unfortunately, I see them park a really expensive Tesla (model X or P100D) somewhere in the back of the lot with other ordinary cars. So other well known super cars like Lamborghini or Ferrari always get better treatment.
I have 2 suggestions:
1. Get a 2017 Final Edition Dodge Viper ACR. It will blow you away on handling as well as those Ferrari and Lamborghini wannabe sports cars. Since it has a "manual" transmission, none of the millenials who valet will be able to drive it. So you get to park it where you choose.:D
2. Get the 2020 Tesla Roadster and after they park it outta sight, use autonomous mode to park it where you want. :)

I am sorry, but the lack of engine noise is a bonus. Cars making loud noises is so old fashioned. And the vibrations the large engines make is easy to forget. I think once the electric supercars are out, the expensive gas cars will become the equivalent of gold plated, ivory inlayed rotary phones. You can brag about them all you want, but no one will actually want to use one.

I think you are mostly right on this. I was comparing 458 to 488, not ice to electric in terms of noise. The exception will be the enthusiast market. Kind of like race horses are now. No one uses them to commute, but there are enthusiasts who own them and ride them, race them and collect them. ...and for those enthusiasts, the naturally aspirated engine ( non turbocharged) of a prancing horse will be irreplaceable for their dream car, but they like everyone else will drive electric 98+% of the time

I think it’s a horrible sound. Whenever I hear loud exotics or any loud muscle car it’s like finger nails on a . Does it really sound much better from the inside of the car?

I would agree with you on “muscle cars” but an exotic to me is a symphony that is extracted to achieve the highest level of ice performance. Not just noise for the sake of noise as in other cars. I would compare it to people who listen to vinyl over mp3’s And ipod/ iPhone music for their listening pleasure.

The vinyl is inconvenient but if your ears pick up the differences it’s quite an enjoyable sound.

Ice motors sounds are no longer the result of tuning to achieve the highest level of performance. The sound has become a signature feature of each brand.

On some, the sound is natural. On others they pipe a tuned port into the interior to give the sound they believe the owners will treasure. Others synthesize the sound and produce it via the radio speakers.

Sounds have been used in automotive marketing for years. Even the solid thud of a Mercedes door closing has been engineered to gain pricing power. BMW has a full engineering staff and facility to tune the sound of every button press and every rotating knob.

Experienced people can tell the brand and model of each car, even when blindfolded.

I can now floor it in my X without alerting the neighbors or nearby cops. Much more conducive to using the available acceleration more often. Even my mom didn't know I had it floored on the freeway entrance ramp.

In the old days noise meant power, and sophistication from the better performance engines. Now, for me, that has been replaced by silence. Silence is the future of performance.

Ice motors sounds are no longer the result of tuning to achieve the highest level of performance. The sound has become a signature feature of each brand.

On some, the sound is natural. On others they pipe a tuned port into the interior to give the sound they believe the owners will treasure. Others synthesize the sound and produce it via the radio speakers.

Sounds have been used in automotive marketing for years. Even the solid thud of a Mercedes door closing has been engineered to gain pricing power. BMW has a full engineering staff and facility to tune the sound of every button press and every rotating knob.

Experienced people can tell the brand and model of each car, even when blindfolded.

Well said.. and very true.

Engine sound does sell those kind of cars although to be frank it's more to impresse bystanders than for the driver's enjoyment. Mater of fact it could even make the car feel slow when acceleration lags the loud sound after you are used to the quite acceleration of a Tesla.

Reactions: jgs
To me, I like quiet car. I like my car to be dead silent when driving so I can enjoy the music. That is why I am looking forward to getting my 2020 Roadster.

By the way, I just ordered my personalized license plate for the future 2020 Roadster. I will use the plate on my current car and transfer it to the Roadster in about 2 years.

To me, I like quiet car. I like my car to be dead silent when driving so I can enjoy the music. That is why I am looking forward to getting my 2020 Roadster.

By the way, I just ordered my personalized license plate for the future 2020 Roadster. I will use the plate on my current car and transfer it to the Roadster in about 2 years.

Already have my plate ready.

Attachments

• 51EEF46C-ACF1-4A0F-9D26-F06E6BDD9953.jpeg
    51EEF46C-ACF1-4A0F-9D26-F06E6BDD9953.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: Richt and Cowby
Something that flies under the radar, if the Roadster can reach 60mph in 1.9 seconds, it must also be able to brake as fast.
The acceleration (positive and negative) in this case is a matter of traction, not raw power.
That beats other supercars for braking distance and likely beats them in cornering speeds too. For cornering you have additional aero forces so we'll see how those add up.
Instant torque is something you don't get with ICE and a big plus.
The driving position is central so should be fun to drive and torque vectoring will help too, especially since it will be super responsive given the 2 rear electric motors. Traction control is more responsive in general with EVs.
It's not as flashy as some other cars but it should be better and that's what really matters.
Tesla likely kept it fairly boring as that will help sales. Maybe they add larger front and rear wings for the P model, push things a bit further.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I have a V12 GTC4Lusso and have a Roadster on order. I don't see them as mutually exclusive at all. The Roadster will win you drag races but a well-crafted Ferrari is something you enjoy viscerally.
The Lusso is already slower than our P100D around town but you simply can't argue with the craftsmanship and road presence of a Ferrari. Very different market segments.

I have a V12 GTC4Lusso and have a Roadster on order. I don't see them as mutually exclusive at all. The Roadster will win you drag races but a well-crafted Ferrari is something you enjoy viscerally.
The Lusso is already slower than our P100D around town but you simply can't argue with the craftsmanship and road presence of a Ferrari. Very different market segments.

Well said. There’s history, craftsmanship and racing pedigree with Ferrari. I think Ferrari will continue to have customers years from now in the same way that there is a solid market for a finely crafted Patek Philippe or other fine Swiss watch that requires hand winding - even though an iPhone gives you more accurate time.

By 2020, a good used Lamborghini (Huracan or even Aventador) or Ferrari 488/458/other would be around $250,000 or even less.So why would a new 2020 Roadster be better than those other well known super cars?

What do you even mean by "better"? The Roadster is going to be very different from those other cars. Owning one will be a very different experience. I hate to say apples and oranges, because that's such a cliche, but… apples and oranges!

If I go to a fancy restaurant, the valet parking attendant usually park the well known super cars in the front and secure location. … So will the 2020 Tesla Roadster get better treatment like the Lamborghini or Ferrari?

Anecdotally (by way of Chris Paine), the original 2008 Roadster got that treatment, at least briefly when it was the New Hotness. I can't imagine actually shopping for a car based on that kind of criteria, though.

Would you still get a 2020 Tesla Roadster over the Lamborghini Aventador?

F… I wouldn't trade my 2010 Tesla Roadster for that. I'm hooked; it made me into an EV true believer. However, see below!

By the way, this is only part of what I see with super cars. I am not buying a super car because of good parking at the restaurant. I want to get a super car with performance. Lamborghini and Ferrari do have great performance. Getting good attention with a super car is just a bonus.

It all depends on what kind of "performance" you're looking for, and how you envision yourself using the car. The Roadster looks like it should be a more versatile vehicle, a better daily driver, equally at home darting around town or taking long road trips, while most conventional "supercars" are used more as weekend track toys. Even if the Roadster does perform well on the track (something Teslas up to now haven't really been known for), I don't imagine a lot of people buying it with track sessions at the top of their mind.